• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where does 10M start?

Parks said:
Fritz said:
If you have problems at 40', you need to practice more. If you have problems at 29' you need to practice more...
You see where I'm going with this......

If you have problems at 100', you need to practice more. If you have problems at 60' you need to practice more...
You see where I'm going with this......

Fritz said:
Sorry if that sounds bitchy, but I'd like to see my hardwork and practice rewarded and not taken away with an unfair advantage given to people who can't make a 35' putt without jumping...

All I've done is practice putts without stepping past my lie from 90'. Ron Russell style all day long. I'd like to see my hard work and practice rewarded and not taken away with an unfair advantage given to people who can't make a 90' putt without jumping...

100' I float the disc. Practice putts from 90' You got skillz man! :p

Chuck Kennedy said:
Unfortunately, you have developed a putt that is likely illegal sometimes but players' eyesight isn't fast enough to see either way. Since you can't prove your innocence, that's the reason for the suggestion to move out the putting distance so you can always stay legal inside 15m or be obvious when you aren't.

Actually, I do a step-through putt, it is pretty easy to see that I let it go before my supporting point lifts off (I should have mentioned that before).

Fritz said:

I saw how useful a thumber was and I wanted to have a thumber. So I practiced my ass off, and now I have a consistent 375' thumber which bails me out countless times. Did I bitch that it was a unfair shot because players that were better than me, practiced it, and got good at it? no, I practiced my ass off.

I wanted to be a great putter, I putted 50 putts from 15', 20', 25' and 30' , "normal" putting stance, and repeated the same straddle putt, everyday, 400 putts per day. After I got comfortable there, I switched to doing jump putts, 40, 45, 50 same thing and then putting from 15' the remaining 250 putts

Sorry if that sounds bitchy, but I'd like to see my hardwork and practice rewarded and not taken away with an unfair advantage given to people who can't make a 35' putt without jumping...

I worked hard at learning to properly and legally execute a jump putt (or substitute some other legal shot, such as a thumber), and I'd like to see my practice rewarded, and not taken away with an unfair advantage given to people who prefer not to jump putt (or substitute some other legal shot, such as a thumber).

Do you see the irony here? That was my point in my original post - I guess I should have made the post longer.

And screw anyone else who disagrees with me.

Chuck Kennedy said:
I think there's some chance the circle radius might be extended in the next rules update for 2011. I know Climo is lobbying for moving it to 15m when talking with him about putting issues last year.

so originally I thought this was a good idea, and basically I still do. But then I came to realize that you cant do the falling forward when putting from the knees, until you are 15m out, and that is too far. I mean I have seen a bunch of the putts climo has done from his knees, which would probably be illegal under the new rules.

we have a rule lets stick to it. that is the way to get the sport to move forward consistancey.

I would be pretty upset if it gets changed to 15M. If Climo is capable of putting from 10-15M without jumping, all the power to him, but seem people are more comfortable and efficient jump putting at that range and it shouldn't be changed because one guy doesn't like the rule. If you do make the change, why not just change it for NTs and majors or something or the open division in general. Let players develop their skillz in other divisions.

money 21 said:
we have a rule lets stick to it. that is the way to get the sport to move forward consistancey.
I agree. Smaller baskets? Farther circle? What's the deal? Is putting too easy these days? I wasn't aware that 30 foot gimme putts were ruining the appeal of the game. Maybe I just suck.

What's our goal in changing the circle radius? Are we trying to force people to conform to a style of putting? I don't give two shits if someone jumps, does a cartwheel, backflip, or steps past their putter when they're standing at 33'. People like Climo need to stop whining and just play like the professional's they are instead of whining about "unfair" advantages for their competitors. Climo's allowed to do it too if its such a huge "advantage".

Climo is not whining. He's suggesting a way to reduce the problem of illegal jump putting just outside the 10m line. Moving the line to 15m would significantly reduce the number of illegal jump putts that were holed out which is the current problem.

Chuck Kennedy said:
Climo is not whining. He's suggesting a way to reduce the problem of illegal jump putting just outside the 10m line. Moving the line to 15m would significantly reduce the number of illegal jump putts that were holed out which is the current problem.
Can you explain the problem, because I don't think I understand the issue. What exactly are people doing at 10m that is illegal, and how will it happen differently at 15m? Is it just that if you 'cheat' at 15m you're less likely to make it in than if you 'cheat' at 10m, and therefore people will care less about the cheating?

Is it just that if you 'cheat' at 15m you're less likely to make it in than if you 'cheat' at 10m, and therefore people will care less about the cheating?
Pretty much the case. I don't think eliminating jump putting would be popular even though it should be putt jumping. So the 15m would be a compromise since determining whether someone actually putted then jumped or jumped then putted happens so quickly that it's hard to call. There are many players who have developed good leaping putt skills just outside 10m. However, even the best of them can't 100% confirm they always putt first versus jump first even with video slo-mo. Allowing players to jump then putt has been considered but it leads to dead fall and slam dunk putts around the basket being legal which isn't seen as appropropriate and/or safe.

Is the PDGA seriously worried about "slam-dunk" putts? This is why I'm not a member.

Jeronimo said:
Is the PDGA seriously worried about "slam-dunk" putts? This is why I'm not a member.
Actually, I can imagine it being an issue. Maybe not from a standstill, but if you were allowed to jump, then technically you would be able to get a running start and launch yourself toward the basket. You might not actually reach it (unless you were a good long-jumper), but you could get close, and your momentum would carry you head first toward the basket, which wouldn't be good for you or it.

It's a pickle. If you allowed people to jump, then could they also jump from a bad lie and throw from the air to get around an obstacle? Seems like a slippery slope. The more I look at the options, the more it makes sense to push the circle out.

Jeronimo said:

Actually, I seem to remember this coming up in another discussion. I think slam-dunk-putts were the reason for the 10m rule in the first place.

Dogma said:
It's a pickle. If you allowed people to jump, then could they also jump from a bad lie and throw from the air to get around an obstacle? Seems like a slippery slope. The more I look at the options, the more it makes sense to push the circle out.

OK, this is a good point. I concede. I still wouldn't move it outside 10m. We have a rule, lets stick to it.

OK, this is a good point. I concede. I still wouldn't move it outside 10m. We have a rule, lets stick to it.
That's exactly the point in moving the line out. Fewer throws would potentially violate the rule on putt jumping.

Chuck Kennedy said:
That's exactly the point in moving the line out. Fewer throws would potentially violate the rule on putt jumping.

In your opinion. You're talking roughly 50' before you can consider jump putting, that's excessive. If the PDGA did not want jump putting to exist they should have squelched it when it first appeared. Instead they called it legal, and they want to remove a tool from my toolbox. I would jump putt at 45' and I have on numerous occaisions so I absolutely do not agree with moving the circle out. Is this seriously that big of a problem on the pro tour?

The PDGA never legalized jump putting or even putt jumping. All the rule says is that you can follow through after releasing your throw if you are outside 10m. At some point, players decided that jumping was also okay even though the running follow through was the intent of the rule. (And thus the concern about running jumps, slam dunks and dead falls if the rule was changed to allow jumping.) So players developed that jumping style and several had success with it in the 35-40 ft range. It was tolerated by others even though many released the shot after they were in the air or it was so close no one could call it properly. And here we are today and yes it is a problem on the pro tour. That's where the controversy and ideas to change the rule started, especially once video started showing some questionable shots in big events.

What about allowing a jump-up to the marker but not past it? As long as you landed and stopped forward motion behind your marker there would be no penalty.