• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Which discs do you use for 90's style disc golf?

UncleBrother2001

aka Starfirebird/Uncle Matt
Yeah I've been playing for a while,but I can't for life of me remember all the discs you can use for 90's style disc golf.

Lets' see. I know a Gazelle,Eagle,Stingray,Cobra and Aviar is some,but I can't for the life of me remember the rest.

Me and the guys are going to be doing this in the next Doubles get together we have.They are like me they can't remember them all either. :lol:

For real 90's golf, you have to drive with Vipers. No kidding/no substitutes. People talk about Gazelles like everybody threw them. Nobody threw them; everybody threw Vipers.

To get the true 90's experience, all of your small diameter drivers have to go. The standard Innova 90's bag was Aviar/Roc/Stingray/Viper. Maybe throw in a Cobra and an XD.

If you can't let go of the small diameter drivers, Cheetah/Polaris LS/Cyclone/Gazelle/Whippet is really all you can use. Discs like the XL and Eagle came out way too late in the decade to count.

and everything must be in DX.

EDIT: you should try some Cyclones and Magnets just to get some Discraft love.

for my own bag back then it was avair shark vortex what ever lightning disc became the slice 2 cheetah and a mold 44 (i think mold 44 which ever was based on the viper)

Working Stiff said:
For real 90's golf, you have to drive with Vipers. No kidding/no substitutes. People talk about Gazelles like everybody threw them. Nobody threw them; everybody threw Vipers.

To get the true 90's experience, all of your small diameter drivers have to go. The standard Innova 90's bag was Aviar/Roc/Stingray/Viper. Maybe throw in a Cobra and an XD.
Yup, I never got into mids back then so no Rocs but yeah, Aviar or XD, Stingray, beat Viper, new Viper. Before the Viper it was Scorpion for me and Cobra for my friends.

Serious post in unserious thread: We had a meeting with 50+ people in St. Louis in the late 90's discussing weather to pull Creve Coeur or not (park was not being mowed.) So everyone is yelling and talking over each other, nothing is getting done. I got everyone's attention, said this is pointless and asked people to raise their hands if they had ever belonged to another club or been involved with something where they attended meetings before. There was seven of us out of the 50ish people where were there. Since that angle wasn't going to work, I asked who had been on a sports team before. There were exactly three of us. Those guys were not joiners. They were not jocks. Their experience of finding disc golf was much, much different from mine. For most of them, disc golf was the ONLY sport they had played with any seriousness in their lives. If they were not playing disc golf, the only "sport" most of them would have participated in was throwing darts at the bar. We were not a hotbed of athletic ability by any stretch of the imagination. The athleticism of the guys I play with now is A LOT higher than those guys. Just one small sample, but that has been my experience.

BTW, the only reason Creve Coeur survived that meeting was becasue we couldn't get people to stop yelling over each other long enough to take a vote and 1/3 of the people stormed out in protest when we tried. I was by far the worst, most pointless meeting I ever attended.

Latest posts