• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Who all should talk a penalty here, if anyone?

numbernine

Birdie Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
https://youtu.be/X7XPaqw0hM0?t=45m34s
Start at 45 minutes and 34 seconds if you don't go automatically.

So Jere picks up Nikko's disc and someone else's and it looks like he is just counting them as good.
By the rules, he takes a penalty, as well as the other two for not finishing out. Right?

Or no?

IDK, I stopped caring. They picked up each others discs a few times, didn't mark lies etc. It was way casual. You gotta at least play by the basic rules of PDGA during events, especially if they're gonna be filmed.

What they should have done (and I'm guessing they didn't) would be for Nikko and the other player to replace their discs and putt out from them to complete the hole.

If they did not hole out, 803.03 G (4) is the applicable rule. According to that rule, they add the number of throws made (2, according to the video), add a throw for the presumed putt to hole out, and two penalty throws for a grand total of 5. As for Jere, I'd penalize him two throws for intentional interference.

Frankly, if that sort of thing is habitual, it's grounds for DQ. I can't tell if this was a sanctioned tournament or not, but if it was, that's a huge no-no on their part. Unsanctioned...maybe there's a bit more leeway depending on the nature of the event (casual, laid back, their group is their own division, etc).

What they should have done (and I'm guessing they didn't) would be for Nikko and the other player to replace their discs and putt out from them to complete the hole.

If they did not hole out, 803.03 G (4) is the applicable rule. According to that rule, they add the number of throws made (2, according to the video), add a throw for the presumed putt to hole out, and two penalty throws for a grand total of 5. As for Jere, I'd penalize him two throws for intentional interference.

Frankly, if that sort of thing is habitual, it's grounds for DQ. I can't tell if this was a sanctioned tournament or not, but if it was, that's a huge no-no on their part. Unsanctioned...maybe there's a bit more leeway depending on the nature of the event (casual, laid back, their group is their own division, etc).

Sanctioned.
http://www.pdga.com/tour/event/24933

B Tier.

There was an ice bowl vid from last or year before, showing Melton putt out with a towel wrapped around his disc. So maybe this sort of thing is more common than we realize.

This event was a B tier, as pointed out. My impression was that Ice Bowls were really more relaxed and pretty much just for charity since they don't do payouts, right?

The ice bowls around here do both. Part of the entry is donated and the rest goes towards payouts.

I think the laid back attitude just a product of the guys playing in almost all of Nikko's winter series tournaments.

Its a B-tier event. Everything seems very casual due to it being an 'off season' series of events and it seems like these guys end up playing together all the time.

I'm guessing Jere wouldn't have picked them up if they were anything but gimmies.

Who cares, lighten up.

Again, if it were an unsanctioned event sure, who cares...but it wasn't...and people should care. You can't just go around doing whatever you feel like doing if what you're doing is clearly against the rules.

According to the results, Jere won $450 and Tateki and Nikko each won $223. I don't think laid back with no payouts is how this event could be described.

According to the results, Jere won $450 and Tateki and Nikko each won $223. I don't think laid back with no payouts is how this event could be described.

Thus my concern.
I think I'd be concerned if I had played a B tier and dudes were being lax with the rules.

To me anything where there's any sort of payout, you can't be lax on the rules. More especially for the open players.

They weren't 8' out, or even 3' out, they were inches away or directly under the basket...why waste time?

Sincerely, someone who doesn't care that much.

They weren't 8' out, or even 3' out, they were inches away or directly under the basket...why waste time?

Sincerely, someone who doesn't care that much.

Because everyone else is expected to hole out their own discs no matter how close or far they are from the basket, and they put in the effort to do so, so why should these guys be any different. Not that it was remotely likely, but putts have been missed from closer than Nikko's lie by players just as good as he is.

Those players going to their lies and putting out properly probably doesn't change the way the scores ended up one bit, but it is the principle of the thing. The rules require every player to hole out on every hole. It's not that difficult a thing to do.

Because everyone else is expected to hole out their own discs no matter how close or far they are from the basket, and they put in the effort to do so, so why should these guys be any different. Not that it was remotely likely, but putts have been missed from closer than Nikko's lie by players just as good as he is

has anyone seen the video where nikko tries to punch his tap in into the basket and misses? Or where Barry misses a 2 footer on hole 5 at the USDGC? It does happen.

The craziest thing about it to me is that NIKKO WAS THE TD FOR THE EVENT!!!

So if he would have said before the event..."tap ins can just be picked up guys, lets run a fun casual event today."

As the TD is that possible/legal?

has anyone seen the video where nikko tries to punch his tap in into the basket and misses? Or where Barry misses a 2 footer on hole 5 at the USDGC? It does happen.

I was just going to post this. He's the freaking TD!

Which is probably the biggest reason why nothing would ever come of the incident. Not that Nikko allowed the "gimmes" because he's the TD, but because if someone were to try to assess penalties for those actions, he as the TD could over-rule them anyway. Or get his designated official to do so since technically he shouldn't be making TD level rulings for his own division.

I'm sure anyone who saw that happen and wanted to question it would have immediately seen it was the TD involved and given up the protest. If the TD isn't going to follow the rules properly, then why should anyone else care to do so?

Latest posts