• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why so many discs?

I generally have 13 discs in my bag. In a given round I probably only use about 6 or 7 of them. I just like to carry around some discs that are better on windy days just in case I need them. Also my driver pick is dependent on how fatigued my arm is on a given day. Every now and then I have to switch way down to something like a roadrunner because my arm is shot.

I think us beginners need to carry more discs than you pros, here's why. I throw only RHBH and when I have a long hard turn to the left, it is easy to make that shot with a drone. I am currently trying to get that line with a ROC but I don't have the confidence. Last tournament, my drone ended up in the creek. Well, I played the rest of it turning my ROC, the wrong amounts into trees, either trees short or trees long. I am working on making the ROC turn like the drone but I am not there yet. Likewise for a right turn, the Stingray works good. I am VERY close with a ROC and can usually turn the ROC right tree free. But, until my skills get better, I am going to be carrying a lot of discs.
the way i get myself to learn a disc is by forcing myself to , so lets say you are real good with the drone but not to sure with the roc next time you go play casual only take an long distance driver, the roc, and a putter,.

im not against what your saying i dont like the you should only carry a putter for 6 months- 1 year crap myself but there might be a reason you only throw rhbh and that might be because you always have a disc to anny , one of the things that ive learned by only carrying 2-3 overstable discs(driver mid putter) with me to practice recently is confidence in throwing approach shots forehand which has really helped me take the easy forehand shot when the backhand shot is kinda risky , where before i only forehanded when it was the only option.

I would actually say that the longer you've been playing and the better you are is when you should be using more discs. When you are a beginner you don't know how to throw many discs. So you should be carrying very few discs, making a few distinct shots a lot, and when you get into trouble, it's probably going to be really tough to get out unless you can throw one of the shots you know well.

However, when you've gotten better, you should have many more discs in your bag, because you know how to throw many types of shots.

good points ryan, learn what you got then add what you need.
kinda like cooking, you dont want to add all the spice and salt at once wait till the end to finish it off othetwise you end up with some super salty way too hot stuff(or a bag full of disc you cant throw).

I think you are comparing apples to oranges. I have seen many beginners, and even friends of mine who don't play very much, tend to just grab a disc and hope it does what they want it to do. I saw may friend throw a Destroyer on a 140ft hole, and I just cringed. I didn't say anything, but he could have made the same shot with his Cobra and gotten better results.

First of all, you really should have said something. Second, I think we're talking about two different issues here. Your point, if I understand, is that beginners aren't aware of the different disc ratings, so they should simplify their bags until they do. My point is that beginners don't have the skill to force a disc to do everything for them, so they should carry enough discs that they can always pick one that naturally likes to do what they need it to.

Isn't it as easy to explain to your beginner friends what their discs are designed for than to tell them to only throw such-and-so 3 discs, in all situations, until they've "mastered" them? Which is going to produce more frustration on the course?

To extend my analogy (and yes I think it's a reasonable one), if you have a beginning ball golfer friend who's always using a sand wedge off the tee, or pitching to the green with a 5-wood, are you going to tell him to stop carrying those clubs, or are you going to explain to him what they were designed for?

I prefer to explain to the newbie what all of his tools are for and let him experiment with them on his own, rather than ask him to fully explore one tool before touching any of the others. Mine is a different philosophy, and it might not be the "accepted" one, but I'm still not convinced it's wrong.

However, when you've gotten better, you should have many more discs in your bag, because you know how to throw many types of shots.

Now I'm confused. If you know how to throw many types of shots, shouldn't you need fewer discs because you can do more with any one of them? And if you only know how to throw one stroke, shouldn't you need discs that will respond to that one throw in different ways?

First of all, you really should have said something. Second, I think we're talking about two different issues here. Your point, if I understand, is that beginners aren't aware of the different disc ratings, so they should simplify their bags until they do. My point is that beginners don't have the skill to force a disc to do everything for them, so they should carry enough discs that they can always pick one that naturally likes to do what they need it to.

Isn't it as easy to explain to your beginner friends what their discs are designed for than to tell them to only throw such-and-so 3 discs, in all situations, until they've "mastered" them? Which is going to produce more frustration on the course?

To extend my analogy (and yes I think it's a reasonable one), if you have a beginning ball golfer friend who's always using a sand wedge off the tee, or pitching to the green with a 5-wood, are you going to tell him to stop carrying those clubs, or are you going to explain to him what they were designed for?

I prefer to explain to the newbie what all of his tools are for and let him experiment with them on his own, rather than ask him to fully explore one tool before touching any of the others. Mine is a different philosophy, and it might not be the "accepted" one, but I'm still not convinced it's wrong.

Its not wrong. Its your way.

There is a thing that has a occurred in teaching circles the last several years called learning styles. It takes into account a persons abilities, disabilities and several other things.

I think what is more important is not what we think but how do they learn. I for one was bored very quickly with the initial 3 disc set I bought (champion leopard, shark, and aero). For me trying different discs and experimenting are part of the charm and fun (your reading from a guy who when he was 9 years old took his dad's lawnmower apart to see how it worked and I nearly got it back together correctly). While I know of others that the regimen of 1 to 3 discs to start is perfect.

When I take someone out I start them with my shark and that works fine. With others they want into the bag and want to know how each one is thrown and flies. It is their learning style and if your patient you have a new DG'er and playing buddy.

Now I'm confused. If you know how to throw many types of shots, shouldn't you need fewer discs because you can do more with any one of them? And if you only know how to throw one stroke, shouldn't you need discs that will respond to that one throw in different ways?
yes and no , if you know alot of shots you know that each disc does things the other discs may or may not do even when thrown the same way depending on speed of disc,weight,floppyness,plastic type, but on the otherhand if know how to forehand,tomahawk,etc... you dont need as many discs as you can just use the same disc to do multiple things .:confused:

In the long run that is what I have done. I cannot afford a lot of discs so I learn a lot throws. For example with my destroyer I flick, drive, tomahawk, and thumb. With my shark I can up, drive shorter baskets, scoobie, and turnover.

Maybe it all comes down to personal style.

I agree with you to a point, but I have seen many, many players, most who have been playing less than a year, or that don't play alot, play the guessing game.

Sure , you can have different discs for different shots, and that is what I do , but if you don't have the skill for instance, to know how to throw a backhand anny with a Sidewinder, or RR, that disc is not going to magically go right, you have to send it in that direction.

If you don't have to skill to know how to throw an anny, or hyzer, extra discs are going to handicap you. Ball Golf is different, you usually swing in one plane, and the club does most of the work. In disc golf, more factors come into play. The same disc will fly different people.

EXAMPLE: I have a Champ Valk that I can make go almost straight for 300ft. I can and have handed that disc to my brother to throw, who does not practice at the field, does not play as much as I do , and does not have the skill that I do, and that same disc for him will hyzer out at about 200ft and hit the ground, because he is not putting the spin or power behind the same disc that I just threw 300ft.

I have personally seen a guy who can throw his putters 340ft. Should I be doing that? No, I can't throw my putters past 225, so for a shot that long, I would have to throw a different disc. My skill level is not up to his yet.

I think that people will evolve their game, but they need to start slow. I think if you gave a newbie 5-8 discs, and told him what they were suppose to do, it doesn't mean he has the skill to throw them like that. Most newbies are happy just to get the disc 150-225ft down the fairway.

All, I am saying is keep it simple in the beginning. As players get better, they will get more discs, but don't overwhelm them in the beginning.

im getting to the point now where im starting to eliminate overlap discs and only keep the discs i use the majority of the time to help me stay consistant and weed out the ones that cause mistakes because of not knowing them well enough .

im getting to the point now where im starting to eliminate overlap discs and only keep the discs i use the majority of the time to help me stay consistant and weed out the ones that cause mistakes because of not knowing them well enough .

That is one of the best reasons for hitting the practice field. You can see what over laps and tune your bag. Plus a little practice never hurt anyone.

I have actually increased the number of discs I carry as a result of knowing more shots. For my backhand I usually throw a surge or other moderately overstable discs. My Forehand, because I can generate so much more spin on the disc I need something that is way more overtable. I have several discs that I throw specifically for overhand throws, you need an overstable tough plastic to throw those shots I feel. Because overhand shots are so rough on discs I don't like to use them for anything but overhand shots. I also keep some understable discs for hyzer flips, but it will be a while before I get any good at throwing those shots.

That is one of the best reasons for hitting the practice field. You can see what over laps and tune your bag. Plus a little practice never hurt anyone.
theres i nice little practice field close to my house i like to go to its got teepads and baskets already setup, its called a disc golf course ;):)

Here's what I carry in my bag...

1 soft challenger, for putting.
1 jk pro aviar, for turnover putter shots.
1 star aviar driver.

1 kc pro roc, beat for turning over.
1 kc pro roc, newer, more stable.

1 champion wraith, go to driver, I use 90% of the time when I use a driver.
2 star wraiths.
1 champion boss.
1 r-pro boss.
1 champion groove.
1 pro destroyer.
1 kc pro champion teebird.
1 champion roadrunner, for rollers.

I sometimes take out disc depending on what course I am playing, or sometimes I add a few "water" ready disc, but that's my normal setup.

hahaha, nice Omega.

Hey Lewis, I understand your original idea a little better now after you've asked that question. I still respectfully disagree with you though.

Let's say there's someone who knows how to throw a frisbee, and he comes to you wanting to learn how to play. I would give him three discs: Driver, Midrange, and a putter. (specifically a valk, Stingray, and Aviar, if i had them available. I would only give them these three types of disc because it would give them a feel for the game. If he wants to try a distance anny shot, I would explain to him the idea that you can either take the risk throwing the driver, or play it more safely and just put the mid or the putter down the fairway. I would teach him his options and let him go. This way, he is going to try all of these different options, while understanding his options well. But when he tries stuff that a disc shouldn't do, he's going to learn he can't do that throw with that disc, and he's going to want to get another disc. Then I think it's a good idea to go get another disc. And that's how a bag should get bigger in my mind.

But let's say that a guy comes to me with the same idea and I go buy him the 15 discs that I have, which are basically a complete bag (i've got overstable, 2 stages of stable, and understable drivers, fairway drivers, mids, and putters, with a couple versatile discs in between. I have 1 backup roc in my bag, and other than that I have no real backup discs). I think that would frustrate him more in the very beginning. He is going to forget what certain discs do unless he has a good memory. And with all of the different discs he's throwing, he's not going to have a go to disc or a go to throw when he needs it. (By a "go to" disc or throw I mean something that he can do 90% of the time on command.) I guess what I don't like about giving a beginner a lot of discs all boils down to this: If the beginner is inconsistent, then giving them more discs to throw is going to keep them inconsistent. They aren't going to learn different shots. All they are going to do is throw it and expect the disc to do whatever you are telling them it does. If you give a weak arm an understable disc and tell them it will go right (RHBH), then it might not go right. However, if you give a weak arm a stable disc and teach them how to throw an anhyzer, then they are going to probably get it wrong the first time, but at least they understand how to throw the anhyzer. Then with a little more practice, they might start getting it.

I hope that was clear, I feel like I just babbled on. If you have any more questions, please ask.

I do think your way will work, but I think giving them less discs at first allows them to have more fun at the beginning than lugging around a ton of discs.

Latest posts