• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why so many discs?

I never liked using the Roc. The first disc I ever bought was a Panther back in 95, and it's still in bag and gets used quite often.

As far as how many discs I carry, it goes 5 drivers (big fade, slight fade, straight, slight right fade, and big right fade), 3 mids (left, straight, and right), and 1 putter, for a total of 9 discs. No reason to carry back-ups as I don't plan on losing any at my local course.

I never liked using the Roc. The first disc I ever bought was a Panther back in 95, and it's still in bag and gets used quite often.

As far as how many discs I carry, it goes 5 drivers (big fade, slight fade, straight, slight right fade, and big right fade), 3 mids (left, straight, and right), and 1 putter, for a total of 9 discs. No reason to carry back-ups as I don't plan on losing any at my local course.

I have a similar set up, except I carry 3 putters. One for short, one for long, and one soft for hills. I also carry a couple of trash discs on holes I think I might loose one, and a couple of floaters for the water holes.

carrying a floater means you don't have the confidence to make it to dry land..play msart and you will never lose a disc in water

While I don't personally carry a floater I think that everyone, and I mean everyone, has a bad throw from time to time. If anything a floater would give you more confidence, you have less at stake when you have the inevitable bad throw.

i think it's the opposite, in your mind, you are thinking...well it doesn't matter if i throw it in the water, its a floater..there are usually alternative spots (bailouts) to land instead of trying to throw over water...you want the disc that will make the shot, not a beater or trash disc that you don't care abouit losing

i think it's the opposite, in your mind, you are thinking...well it doesn't matter if i throw it in the water, its a floater..there are usually alternative spots (bailouts) to land instead of trying to throw over water...you want the disc that will make the shot, not a beater or trash disc that you don't care abouit losing

I don't think that that is true at all. Children learn to ride bicycles with training wheels. Training wheels are in essence a way of developing confidence and skill in a low risk scenario. It may be a weird analogy, but nonetheless I think it applies. Learning skill and confidence with low risk.

I agree that floating discs or crappy ones give you confidence when throwing by water. I have lost lots of money in the lake at my home course. I started using old crappy discs that I don't care about and it seems to work everytime I haven't lost one in a long time.

carrying a floater means you don't have the confidence to make it to dry land..play msart and you will never lose a disc in water

I had a friend who just lost his putter in the water on a bad bounce, and he wasn't planning on loosing it either. I carry floaters for the insurance. I carry car insurance also, even though I have not had a wreck in years.

i guess thats my mentality after playing water holes for 15 years...i just cant see throwing something that won't work because i dont want to lose a "precious" disc..to each his own..when you are laying up with your hydra, i am on the green for a shot at deuce..

It's a jargony insult that's roughly equivalent to talking down to someone that you think is a n00b, but only insecure douchebags use it. :p
i guessing if he/she's gotta talk down to noobs then that might be the only people he/she can beat ,thanks for the clarification:) so now ill let him know what a looper is.

looper - golf slang for a caddie boy

I'm definately one of those guys who carries too many discs in my bag! I'll usually have close to 20, but I generally only throw 5 or 6...depending on the course, I do usually like to have a duplicate of my favorite driver, just in case. I also like trying different weights to discs I like...for example, I've been throwing the TeeRex a lot lately, so I currently have a 150 DX, 170 Star, and 175 Champion TeeRexes in my bag. I usually have one crappy, "OH SH*T!" disc in my bag. Lately I've also been carrying 2 putters, one floppy and one stiff...plus I'm always trying new discs...I know I'm a dork, but hey, if people aren't buying a bunch of discs they can't throw, then our fav companies don't stay in business:)

80played - I agree with you on people just carrying floaters on water holes...I've actually been trying to beat in my Dragon and Hydra to figure out how to use them on a lot of non-water holes, so that I can use them confidently use them on a water hole. I'm actually starting to like the Hydra....but if I'm at all aprehensive, you better believe I'm throwing that Hydra as opposed to possibly losing my Gator or Coyote...to each his own though right? I don't know about you, or most of the people on here, but I'm not trying to be a professional disc golf player or anything...I just want to have some fun...

I carry around 15, but most are the same disc in different weights. I have around 5 different molds that I use consistently. I have 3 Valks, 2 Destroyers, 2 TeeBirds, 3 Buzzz, 2 Wizards, and then some others that I try to work in.

There is a guy around here that always scores at the top of the Rec/Int division and often would cash in Adv if he played it. He uses only a star wraith, putts with it also

i carry 12 which is a little too much but i have it down to a system......

champion orc- go to driver
star max- hyzer spike shots
star roadrunner- understable driver
champion teebird- precision open driver
Dga rogue- wooded driver
Millenium JLS- precision wooded driver
champion eagle- <200ft. open driver
Kc pro eagle-<200ft. wooded driver
dragon-floater
Roc- midrange
Shark-lay up midrange
Aviar supersoft- putter

There is a guy around here that always scores at the top of the Rec/Int division and often would cash in Adv if he played it. He uses only a star wraith, putts with it also

The guy with the afro... hes a beast. He is going to do that for the whole year, he even plays woodland with the wraith. I dont see how that is possible, but its working for him.

Latest posts