• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why so many discs?

That is one of the best reasons for hitting the practice field. You can see what over laps and tune your bag. Plus a little practice never hurt anyone.

true that.

I'm much more confident with disc selection on the course after lots of field practice getting to know my discs better.

true that.

I'm much more confident with disc selection on the course after lots of field practice getting to know my discs better.

I try to practice at least once a week. It helps you work on your drives, approachs, trick shots, and it helps you tune you bag, and see what works and what dosent.

hahaha, nice Omega.

Hey Lewis, I understand your original idea a little better now after you've asked that question. I still respectfully disagree with you though.

Let's say there's someone who knows how to throw a frisbee, and he comes to you wanting to learn how to play. I would give him three discs: Driver, Midrange, and a putter. (specifically a valk, Stingray, and Aviar, if i had them available. I would only give them these three types of disc because it would give them a feel for the game. If he wants to try a distance anny shot, I would explain to him the idea that you can either take the risk throwing the driver, or play it more safely and just put the mid or the putter down the fairway. I would teach him his options and let him go. This way, he is going to try all of these different options, while understanding his options well. But when he tries stuff that a disc shouldn't do, he's going to learn he can't do that throw with that disc, and he's going to want to get another disc. Then I think it's a good idea to go get another disc. And that's how a bag should get bigger in my mind.

But let's say that a guy comes to me with the same idea and I go buy him the 15 discs that I have, which are basically a complete bag (i've got overstable, 2 stages of stable, and understable drivers, fairway drivers, mids, and putters, with a couple versatile discs in between. I have 1 backup roc in my bag, and other than that I have no real backup discs). I think that would frustrate him more in the very beginning. He is going to forget what certain discs do unless he has a good memory. And with all of the different discs he's throwing, he's not going to have a go to disc or a go to throw when he needs it. (By a "go to" disc or throw I mean something that he can do 90% of the time on command.) I guess what I don't like about giving a beginner a lot of discs all boils down to this: If the beginner is inconsistent, then giving them more discs to throw is going to keep them inconsistent. They aren't going to learn different shots. All they are going to do is throw it and expect the disc to do whatever you are telling them it does. If you give a weak arm an understable disc and tell them it will go right (RHBH), then it might not go right. However, if you give a weak arm a stable disc and teach them how to throw an anhyzer, then they are going to probably get it wrong the first time, but at least they understand how to throw the anhyzer. Then with a little more practice, they might start getting it.

I hope that was clear, I feel like I just babbled on. If you have any more questions, please ask.

I do think your way will work, but I think giving them less discs at first allows them to have more fun at the beginning than lugging around a ton of discs.

Stringray is a horrible disc. Plz, give him a Roc.

If you are going to throw an anny, the Stingray beats the Roc, and is much more forgiving for the beginner. I guess you totally missed the point of what he posted.

By the way, what kind of word is "Plz"?

yep, at least once a week or more for me too now. I'm fortunate to have open space behind where I live with between 220' - 330' of open space between clusters of trees. Its allowed me to practice distance drives, accuracy drives with trees just off the tee, and approach shots. And its just great to be able to experiment with how a disc will fly under different circumstances and not have the shot count as a stroke.

im not saying i dont practice i just dont do it in a field i do it playing rounds on a course, most of the time i practice with my hole bag and usally about every 1outta 4 times i go i do a f*** off round where i dont worry about trying to beat my course record but what i do is go out without my bag and just bring 2-3 discs usally a disc i want to get some time in with to see if i wanna keep using it or just my fairway and putter to work on my mid and approach game which is something i dont do alot on the course as my drives are pretty consistent and i only get to throw a fairway shot once or twice a round .

midnight if your looking for a good place to practice go to mozola with just a fairway and your putter , i rarely ever bring a driver and usally shoot even with just my leopard(or jls) and my putter.

Last edited:
Thanks for that idea

I have two practice fields just a block from my home. One is wide open and the other is very narrow. I used the wide open field for long drives, and trick shots . The narrow field is lit at night, and I use it for fairway practice, and for my putting a approaches. The fact that its lit and located in a nice neighborhood, means I can practice quite late at night. Haven't had the cops run me off yet.

Have you ever seen a beginner throw a roc? I have. It's like watching a goldfish eat it's own poop. They keep eating the poop over and over after throwing it up again and again, but keep forgetting it tastes bad after they throw it up each time.

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to disagree with you both.

Plz is my sarcastic please as in, you've got to be joking, Stingray > Roc.

If you give a beginner a Roc, you are going to handicap him. Most beginners tend to throw with too much hyzer, and a Roc is just going to make it worse. A Stingray is more forgiving to a beginner.

i think that innova beginner set is a pretty good start for a noob which is almost the same as what ryanp suggested but with a panther instaed of a stingray, but even then i think they would still need a little bit of natural skill or have put in a little time to throw those and would probally suggest just one all-around disc for beach thrower .

Innova has 20+ mids. What can you not do with a roc that you can't do with any other disc? How many pros are playing with Stingrays, Panthers, Hydras, etc.. etc.. and how many are playing with ROCS?

Natrual skill IS required. Give him a roc, he will figure it out within a week.

Who cares? If a barney wants to learn, he or she will learn. You guys are arguing over nothing.

exactly...the roc is the best mid out, period

Clearly you guys are the authoritative experts... haha. There is no "best mid" that's silly, 2x world champion Nate Doss throws a hawk, now almost no one else throws a Hawk, it's not a popular disc, but if it works throw it, for that specific player the hawk might bew the best mid. There is nothing that special about a roc, it's just a disc, it may be a popular or widely used disc but it's still just a disc. Personally I'll go with my Buzzes.

Clearly you guys are the authoritative experts... haha. There is no "best mid" that's silly, 2x world champion Nate Doss throws a hawk, now almost no one else throws a Hawk, it's not a popular disc, but if it works throw it, for that specific player the hawk might bew the best mid. There is nothing that special about a roc, it's just a disc, it may be a popular or widely used disc but it's still just a disc. Personally I'll go with my Buzzes.

Well said, the Roc might be one of the most versatile mids out there but some people may do better with other discs. I second the Buzz comment but also did quite well with a Shark for a time.

i meant it as a joke kinda like what is par...roc vs. buzz...i am well aware and stress it often..not everyone is the same and what works for me may not work for others..

I have a Roc, and it sits on deck till I loose my Star Coyote. My Star Coyote is my best Midrange. Has been for a long time.

Although the champ cobra is still my all time favorite (used for 9 yrs and counting) I just got a coyote an am amazed on how well it flies. IT goes extremely staight and is very reliable. I know something like a roc or buzz will go much further but for certain situations around 100-150 it is brilliant. Its funny cause I always heard the hype and know Jay and Val Reading swear by it and now I see why.

Latest posts