• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Will Schusterick's Driving Tips (Video)

Ok, I'll admit my form sucks, and I am clueless. So help me out. How do you throw an anhyzer with the technique this video shows? I have tinkered with bending at the waist more, and it does help me on shots when I am trying to throw a hyzer flip, or simply throw an understable disc farther on a straight line. But how would you execute an anhyzer or flex shot with this technique? It reminds me of one of the Discraft Clinic videos. Bend at the waist and pull through. It also seems like it would make throwing any over stable disc more difficult since you are bending and releasing the disc on some kind of hyzer.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3AC295CD56519888

This is Mike's youtube page. Looks like there are 2 forehand videos. I think the 2nd one is the one we are talking about, but check them both. Gonna watch this Hokom vid now :) She had some great sidearm throws in her Prodigy bag video. I'm gonna show her off to my daughter so she sees there are female pros too. She's loving disc golf so far.

Ok, I'll admit my form sucks, and I am clueless. So help me out. How do you throw an anhyzer with the technique this video shows? I have tinkered with bending at the waist more, and it does help me on shots when I am trying to throw a hyzer flip, or simply throw an understable disc farther on a straight line. But how would you execute an anhyzer or flex shot with this technique? It reminds me of one of the Discraft Clinic videos. Bend at the waist and pull through. It also seems like it would make throwing any over stable disc more difficult since you are bending and releasing the disc on some kind of hyzer.

At a Feldberg clinic, he said you don't normally pull across the chest, but through your center of gravity. Then he demonstrated an anhyzer by basically bending over backwards and pulling across the chest. Anyway, that's how I learned to do it.

At a Feldberg clinic, he said you don't normally pull across the chest, but through your center of gravity. Then he demonstrated an anhyzer by basically bending over backwards and pulling across the chest. Anyway, that's how I learned to do it.

Agreed. But Will is saying you need to bend forward at the waist. So that would mean the whole basis for that video is only good for certain shots or discs. It is one possible answer for certain shots. Not a comprehensive technique to improve your throws. Bending over backwards and pulling across the chest is much different than bending forward and throwing through your core. Which is OK, especially if those are two of the better ways to execute those 2 specific shots, but that makes learning one method pretty limited. Does this then mean I need to bend even further at the waist for hyzer flips than what Will shows in that video?

Maybe I'm just too damn literal and anal. :\

I've been maxing out at 300ft for years now, and I think this is the first video where I've actually been able to watch it and then go out and see results.

Usually, it's either "oh, this new footwork will be way better" or "drop the shoulder and swing more smoothly - got it!" and then I go out and release a few 75ft duds and go right back to my tried-and-true "3 step and swing my arm across my pecs as hard as I can" throw.

Pretty much everything I'm doing falls into his "wrong" category, but having it spelled out and seeing him step through the process really worked when I hit the course and tried some of the "right" ways tonight. I don't think any of my 27 drives (9-holer, 2-4 drives per) were actually good drives, but I was able to go back and pick out what went wrong on each of them, and some towards the end were boardering on the best throws I've ever made on the respective holes. I might have ruined my game for a while, but maybe it's time.

Great video :thmbup::thmbup::thmbup:

Agreed. But Will is saying you need to bend forward at the waist. So that would mean the whole basis for that video is only good for certain shots or discs. It is one possible answer for certain shots. Not a comprehensive technique to improve your throws. Bending over backwards and pulling across the chest is much different than bending forward and throwing through your core. Which is OK, especially if those are two of the better ways to execute those 2 specific shots, but that makes learning one method pretty limited. Does this then mean I need to bend even further at the waist for hyzer flips than what Will shows in that video?

Maybe I'm just too damn literal and anal. :\
It should be bending at the hip joint literally, not the waist which is part of the spine. Hyzer and anhyzer swing planes are created by the tilt of the spine braced against the bent front hip. Bending of the spine is not recommended.

I haven't seen the MikeC vid yet. Absent that, this video has the best forehand clinic I've seen so far. Hokom takes the stage at 16:30.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUOq09T2q54&feature=fvwp

Thanks for this post Jen. I took something from each of the players, but the toe-heel-toe and hip push instead of rotate things Feldberg discussed are some things I've never heard described before. I'll be imaging trying that until I can actually get out.

I checked out the Will video when he posted it on facebook and practiced with the towel a little and could instantly see more speed and towe snap pulling through my core then at my chest. I can throw easier and it doesn't seem as hard on my shoulder either. The only thing I need to be careful with doing that however is not coming up with my throw and skying it, I have nose angle issues as it is

I haven't seen the MikeC vid yet. Absent that, this video has the best forehand clinic I've seen so far. Hokom takes the stage at 16:30.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUOq09T2q54&feature=fvwp

I need to watch this because I've just tried working some forehands into my practice and its admittedly pitiful lol...I just can't get any power or snap on them

that Nikko putt however I just cant manage....Ive tried it and it just floats and wobbles and I cant get distance on it. Im obviously a better spin putter.....

Last edited:
I took it to mean: no matter the DISC, that was the grip he uses for anything > 300ft

I played it back a few times b/c of the grip he showed in his putting vid

^I think he meant that he uses the same grip on any disc that he aims to throw over 300ft.

*edit* too slow...just like my pull-through.

this is one of the best driving videos i've seen in a while and helps solidify a lot of different things i've been doing on my own. also i think the purpose of the pec drill was to help people learn to throw using they're hips to generate a whipping motion.

The Dan Beato video about the pec drill is nice for beginners but it isn't the true pro form.

Yeah. Beato's such a beginner. Only throws 600'. Pansy. Pros throw way further.

... If you're pulling through the chest or the core during a right pec drill, you're doing it wrong. There's only an outward pull on a pec drill. So ... yeah ... do your right pec drills.

Suprised to see that he uses the same grip no matter what. Interesting!

I know George Smith does the same thing. I'm not sure he even changes his grip for putting. I asked him about it, and he said "the last thing you want to be thinking about is your grip."

Also, I was also very impressed with this vid. Best vid from a touring pro I've seen.

Yeah. Beato's such a beginner. Only throws 600'. Pansy. Pros throw way further.

... If you're pulling through the chest or the core during a right pec drill, you're doing it wrong. There's only an outward pull on a pec drill. So ... yeah ... do your right pec drills...

Also, I was also very impressed with this vid. Best vid from a touring pro I've seen.

I think the thing A LOT of us think about Beato is...
Who is this guy? What exactly has he won? And why should I listen to him?

That is about as honest as it gets. Joe Schmoe may have perfect form, but people want to get advice from the guy that won(think Wheaties boxes and the ask McBeth thread on this site). Having a front man that is well known and charismatic really gets the message across. Beato in my opinion, is neither of these.

Great video Will!

Last edited:
I think the thing A LOT of us think about Beato is...
Who is this guy? What exactly has he won? And why should I listen to him?

That is about as honest as it gets. Joe Schmoe may have perfect form, but people want to get advice from the guy that won(think Wheaties boxes and the ask McBeth thread on this site). Having a front man that is well known and charismatic really gets the message across. Beato in my opinion, is neither of these.

Great video Will!

Yeah ... Who is Butch Harmon and why would I listen to him? What's he won recently?

Anyway ... masterbeato is a 997 rated player.

Last edited:
Yeah ... Who is Butch Harmon and why would I listen to him? What's he won recently?

Anyway ... masterbeato is a 997 rated player.

That is a whooping 34 points higher than me Dan, and I'm not sure what you're trying to say. But I am pretty sure that you don't want me teaching randoms because you all would have no clue who I am, or what I've won. Why can't you just tip your cap to Will and acknowledge that his youth, notoriety, and charm make guys like him better candidates for this sort of thing?

Must say this is the first video that garnered immediate results(positive results that is). I watched the video, went to the practice field, practiced what Will demonstrated and Ta Da! more distance, better feel, and better accuracy. Prodigy is making a believer out of me.

My first post and I'm begging. I'm a newbie disc thrower and I can't view this video on my work computer. Could someone send this to my email or give me an address where I can find it. Thanks

Latest posts