• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Will Schusterick's Driving Tips (Video)

That is a whooping 34 points higher than me Dan, and I'm not sure what you're trying to say. But I am pretty sure that you don't want me teaching randoms because you all would have no clue who I am, or what I've won. Why can't you just tip your cap to Will and acknowledge that his youth, notoriety, and charm make guys like him better candidates for this sort of thing?

What I'm trying to say is that nothing in Shu's video contradicts anything in Beato's vid. I was trying to clear up a misunderstanding.

The only reason his vid is "teaching randoms" is because it's a good enough vid that people like me show it to randoms. It's not like we just saw it and started sharing it with everybody before watching it, trying it, and seeing benefit from it.

Will probably didnt' have to do thousands of pec drills to hit all of it. He was probably a full-hitter a week or so after picking up a disc. So he wouldn't ever post a vid on the drills he did to learn to hit all of it. That is why Beto is a better candidate for making a video on right pec drills.

Will is a better candidate for saying "this is the right way to do it" like he did in the vid. Dan is a better candidate for saying "this is a good thing to do to learn how to do it" like he does in his vid. Each of them have different experiences that are better suited for one thing or another.

I've been maxing out at 300ft for years now, and I think this is the first video where I've actually been able to watch it and then go out and see results.

For years??!?

Idk what I would have done if it took me that long, but having these forums around definitely helped me out. I have recently been throwing a little past 400 at max distance on flat ground now and I think this video will help with increasing my distance even further. Same with beatos video, it definitely makes more sense to me now.

Beato says pull across the chest and Will says pull lower?

And wouldn't I look foolish if he did!!!

I'm not sure what the question mark is all about. Did you post that without watching tips with beto? I suffered through an hour of buffering to confirm my belief that beto said nothing of the sort. "Right pec position" was a term coined by someone (neither me, nor beto, nor will).

For years??!?

Idk what I would have done if it took me that long, but having these forums around definitely helped me out. I have recently been throwing a little past 400 at max distance on flat ground now and I think this video will help with increasing my distance even further. Same with beatos video, it definitely makes more sense to me now.

Yes, years. And it is very frustrating. I'm just very into instant gratification, so having a guy effectively say "hey, do this, not this" and having it be exactly what I've been doing really clicked.

I have incorporated numerous improvements from other videos and the forum though, so 300ft 5 years ago was done a lot differently than it is today. Originally, it meant a throwing a destroyer with mega OAT (and only successfully 1 out of 10 tries), where now I can hit that with anything bigger than a buzzz.

Unfortunately, tweaking my flawed form really only took me so far. There's plently more to squeeze out of even a mid and anything speed 9 or above is just a meathook for me. Starting over is what it will take.

Beato says pull across the chest and Will says pull lower?

Not exactly. Will does say pull lower but he also bends at the hips a little more so it makes sense to him.

Beato just wants you to get into the right pec position before you fire, doesn't really say pull across your chest verbatim..

I never payed that much attention to it, but this video points out quite a few things that I obviously need to work on.

For years??!?

I've been playing for "2 years" in calendar time, but today was roughly my 100th round total. It's hard to get big leaps in improvement when you play so seldomly.

I've been playing for "2 years" in calendar time, but today was roughly my 100th round total. It's hard to get big leaps in improvement when you play so seldomly.

I completely agree. I use to play fairly regularly, but not anymore. After a wife and baby, finding time to play disc golf is slim to none.

Field work, slow motion drills, and an insatiable desire to be a course thrasher. I too, only play once a week, sometimes as many as 3, but my biggest improvements came off the course because of the aforementioned.

I realize not everyone has the time or desire to practice and try that much, and its more about fun than score as well. However, all that time and energy gets repaid every time I park a hole thats ~400', or disc down once or twice from what other people throw, and still get there.

2 summers ago I bought a champ boss. I couldn't throw it 200 with all the OAT in the world, but eventually I learned to reach it out to 350 on a downhill shot. ie hole 24 @ Max Roper park. Last summer I figured out how to reach it with a beast, then an eagle and now a putter, an anode.

The crazy look I get when someone notices I parked and/or out threw their fairway, or high speed driver, with my putter. Priceless :)

^^If I do field work one week, that counts as my "round." And there are many weeks that I don't play. Sometimes two.

I kind of gave up trying to be a good disc golfer a while ago. I'm not saying I don't want to improve, but my focus has changed when I play.

i've watched this 4 or 5 times over two days now and i think the real gem of this video is demonstrating how to generate power from the lower body. he also does a pretty good job of showing everyone how to do a heal pivot w/out mentioning it once.

i've watched this 4 or 5 times over two days now and i think the real gem of this video is demonstrating how to generate power from the lower body. he also does a pretty good job of showing everyone how to do a heal pivot w/out mentioning it once.

Yeah I need to work on my "shift" because when I'm standing still I spin I'm not shifting like I should be. I'm not sure why it's tough for me....

This video just changed my whole game, I was throwing maybe 220 average in my front yard before this video (with run up) watched this video last night and I was throwing at least 250 straight down the middle without any run up, added a
Slow mo run up and threw a comet further than I ever have. If anyone ever plays with Will tell him he's the f'ing man for sharkng such great knowledge.

Ive been trying to throw at least a little almost every day if its nice. Sometime that legue, sometimes that field work whatever...Sometime Ill only go throw 4 or 5 just to try out a new disc or try a new technique, but just to keep everything going. ...

On the weekends its usually a round and then an hour or so in the field.....on saturday at least if not sunday as well....

at least thats what I try to do...obviously thats not always possible....

My buddy and I are working on Field work 1/week now.

First we started with Closed Shoulder drill to get better snap per Bradley Walker and the Beato pec throw. I improved right away just practicing from a stand still and working on snap, had several record drives playing the next couple of weeks.

Today I tried to focus more on turning my shoulder on reach back, weight shift, and I stopped trying to bring the disc up higher to my chest, per Will. I think it went even better, but I haven't tried to connect it to my run up very much to see. If I can get snap AND a smooth, flat release line with weight shifting forward, like Will has, I'm pretty sure I can get better distance...not so easy to execute that though.

I kind of gave up trying to be a good disc golfer a while ago. I'm not saying I don't want to improve, but my focus has changed when I play.

Same here. If I can go out, not shank many shots, and enjoy myself, I call it a win. Just don't have the time to dedicate to massive amounts of practice time.

Most pros utilize a lower pull to create more leverage. But a hindrance is actually bending your waist to lower it. This can throw everything off and add a "bounce" in the middle of the throw.

Will is dead on correct that a lower pull can give more distance because basically you help to keep your weight with the disc. It also teaches you to throw straight or hyzer flips, rather than torqued flex shots. You see big increases when you master this.

While the video by Will is great to see it still has some common disc golf vernacular that holds back disc golf "teaching".

Most people see the biggest improvements when they switch their view of how to throw as more of a forward push, not a pull and turn. When the entire body gets moving forward, with proper weight shift, and full body commitment/extension you start to see huge distance. Get everything moving foward, thats bigger than any shoulder turn or reach back. And stop using the term PULL

Latest posts