• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Will Schusterick's Driving Tips (Video)

Most pros utilize a lower pull to create more leverage. But a hindrance is actually bending your waist to lower it. This can throw everything off and add a "bounce" in the middle of the throw.

Will is dead on correct that a lower pull can give more distance because basically you help to keep your weight with the disc. It also teaches you to throw straight or hyzer flips, rather than torqued flex shots. You see big increases when you master this.

While the video by Will is great to see it still has some common disc golf vernacular that holds back disc golf "teaching".

Most people see the biggest improvements when they switch their view of how to throw as more of a forward push, not a pull and turn. When the entire body gets moving forward, with proper weight shift, and full body commitment/extension you start to see huge distance. Get everything moving foward, thats bigger than any shoulder turn or reach back. And stop using the term PULL

Push instead of pull....ok how does one do that exactly????

**** yeah this thread got awesome

So couple things

Most pros teach based on common phrases they hear on tour or at courses. Most of these phrases while commonly accepted aren't good enough for teaching the sport. They teach because it brings them money, not because it will explore the depths of disc golf technique. What they teach works for them and for some, but for most they need to hear it 1000 different ways before it clicks. Will is teaching commonly accepted practices, his mechanics are perfect as are his intentions of what he is trying to teach you. I spent the last 5 years looking for 1000 different ways to throw and explain it. I teach free clinics and private lessons, and it isn't to provide me with income on tour. It is because when I wanted to learn, no one locally or even at DGR had the proper tools or descriptions to teach me, so my goal now is to change that.

I was just trying to add some insight and better wording to what Will was teaching. I never said he was a bad teacher, he just teaches what you want to hear, not what you need to hear. I am sure he has successful pupils and clearly plenty of fans of his work.

As for the push over pull thing. When the disc is guided into the power zone, with the elbow point out, you basically push(or uncoil). This reduces your chance to pull into the power zone, because by the time you exert energy to reach this you won't have the energy to push/uncoil out. It is more of a mental push, followed they uncoil of the elbow, arm and disc. You are changing the mental aspect of pulling in to the idea of pushing forward. Physically trying to push and pull things usually doesn't work

Last edited:
From a standstill you can reduce some knee pain by making sure you are on your toes with you knees bent. Be in an athletic position. When you set up in your standstill your heel should be pointing toward the target while you are on your toes(point the heel as your comfort allows, some can twist more than others). When you rotate through you should be able to roll into the heel and displace some of the power better through your legs.

As for adding in the run-up, I suggest learning the run-up while using a minimal reach back. You need to master both of them separately and then slowly bring them together. I would try to find video or information on how Dave Feldberg throws as I feel his swing is the best way to learn a run-up. His arm swing and shoulder drop is easier to time with a run-up because it sets up the body the best. I believe there a few videos out there of him teaching the run-up and they should be easy to find. What you need to focus on is how his swing helps to transfer his weight to his backfoot, and then primes his throw so that he can move it forward. His actual swing isn't for everyone, but the concept of his swing setting up his footwork for power generation is revolutionary.

It really just comes down to practicing as much as you can and trusting that over time it will become natural. When you stop forcing yourself to see improvements every throw, and just trust it, usually it works itself out.

Thanks, I think thats probably what I was doing, getting too flat footed and off my toes. I'll keep practicing that.

as far as feldberg's run up, do you have a video you suggest?

I practice probably too much haha. Thanks for the tips, ill keep working

**** yeah this thread got awesome

So couple things

Most pros teach based on common phrases they hear on tour or at courses. Most of these phrases while commonly accepted aren't good enough for teaching the sport. They teach because it brings them money, not because it will explore the depths of disc golf technique. What they teach works for them and for some, but for most they need to hear it 1000 different ways before it clicks. Will is teaching commonly accepted practices, his mechanics are perfect as are his intentions of what he is trying to teach you. I spent the last 5 years looking for 1000 different ways to throw and explain it. I teach free clinics and private lessons, and it isn't to provide me with income on tour. It is because when I wanted to learn, no one locally or even at DGR had the proper tools or descriptions to teach me, so my goal now is to change that.

I was just trying to add some insight and better wording to what Will was teaching. I never said he was a bad teacher, he just teaches what you want to hear, not what you need to hear. I am sure he has successful pupils and clearly plenty of fans of his work.

As for the push over pull thing. When the disc is guided into the power zone, with the elbow point out, you basically push(or uncoil). This reduces your chance to pull into the power zone, because by the time you exert energy to reach this you won't have the energy to push/uncoil out. It is more of a mental push, followed they uncoil of the elbow, arm and disc. You are changing the mental aspect of pulling in to the idea of pushing forward. Physically trying to push and pull things usually doesn't work

Interesting. Wish someone did clinics around here, I could sure use some pointers.....

Thanks, I think thats probably what I was doing, getting too flat footed and off my toes. I'll keep practicing that.

as far as feldberg's run up, do you have a video you suggest?

I practice probably too much haha. Thanks for the tips, ill keep working

I'll see what I can dig up tonight

I love how this turned from "What an awesome video" to an all out flame war. Rock on DGCR.

I saw this vid a week ago and thought much better than breaking stuff with discs. Now I'm thinking who cares if you'll ever throw as far as Will or win multiple basketball championships like Jordan or whatever. Dude is at least trying to help out a noob. If it gets more kids to the practice field, I think it was worth his time. I tend to believe, as has already been said in this thread, that things need to be said in multiple ways so that more of the folks listening will understand.

BTW, I like Feldy's run up with the first step being a gentle 45 with the left foot moving into the x-step but that's not the thread title. However, I suppose after viewing Will's super great 6 minute clip all wanna bees and baggers will be officially required to move up:p

I wouldn't mind seeing some zj xcal hucks sometime :thmbup:

I saw this vid a week ago and thought much better than breaking stuff with discs. Now I'm thinking who cares if you'll ever throw as far as Will or win multiple basketball championships like Jordan or whatever. Dude is at least trying to help out a noob. If it gets more kids to the practice field, I think it was worth his time. I tend to believe, as has already been said in this thread, that things need to be said in multiple ways so that more of the folks listening will understand.

BTW, I like Feldy's run up with the first step being a gentle 45 with the left foot moving into the x-step but that's not the thread title. However, I suppose after viewing Will's super great 6 minute clip all wanna bees and baggers will be officially required to move up:p

I wouldn't mind seeing some zj xcal hucks sometime :thmbup:
I think I agree with all that :)
and yes, much better than Broken Glass Public Park Sponsored by Prodigy Disc

"Dude is at least trying to help out a noob. If it gets more kids to the practice field, I think it was worth his time."
Emphatic agreement.

ZJ's form, broken down live by Yeti, coming soon.

I think I agree with all that :)
and yes, much better than Broken Glass Public Park Sponsored by Prodigy Disc

After I saw this video, I watched the one Zam mentions here. Let's just say I was a huge Will fan. :thmbdown:

Any thread, given enough time, will devolve into a pile a dog doo.

> Only entropy comes easy.
> Anton Chekhov

The point seems to be: No one driving form is correct.

There are some fundamentals: weight shift, release on a straight line, accelerate through the hit, follow through, but how you achieve those things, not everyone will agree.

Basically, you can't learn how to drive an extra 100 feet on this forum. You have to take all the information, go out on the course or practice field, apply what you read/saw and see what works for you. I played with the Bradley Walker "Snap" Closed Shoulder drill and improved immediately. I liked some things Will said in this video and I went out and tried them. I'm with Zam in that I don't think I'll get a huge reachback in my run up at this point - that is hard. But keep a straight line along my Core instead of my chest, turning my shoulder when I reach back, shifting my wait forward more than spinning, keeping my finish low, all those things could help me. I love the way Will pulls all the way through his massive reachback on a straight line. If I could actually master that, I think I'd throw better with a small reachback as well.

This video is a good example of Pros disagreeing. Around 13:00 Dave and Garret are doing Distance drives. At some point, Dave tells everyone Garret should get him arm out of the way of his drive, but Garret thinks that is one reason he throws it farther. I think Feldberg has the fundamental right here. I'd never emulate Garret's throw to start. But maybe once you are good enough, you might try what Garret does, and it certainly works well for him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sxw8ix0CYs

The point he makes at the 2 min. mark was taught to me a little over a year ago and helped me more for distance than anything...that and the reachback part. Great training tool for anyone looking to add power to their game.

I'm super stoked to see ZJ's form broken down. It would be nice to see it in super slow-mo, regular slow-mo and, as seen in skate/snow/bmx vids, certain frames broken down almost like sequential photos, to really examine each motion/part.

Last edited:

Latest posts