• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Will Schusterick's Driving Tips (Video)

But.... but.... you use the word 'pull' in your first sentence!

why can't someone use the term pull. it is what your doing.

You never pull anything, or don't have to.

The body guides the disc into power zone. Then you push it forward. There is never a pull on the disc. It is all forward movement

You can use the phrase pull all you want. From my experience people see better results when they switch their mentality from pull to push. Disc golf technique/teaching has some pretty sloppy ways to describe the motions.

Last edited:

The body guides the disc into power zone. Then you push it forward. There is never a pull on the disc. It is all forward movement

You can use the phrase pull all you want. From my experience people see better results when they switch their mentality from pull to push. Disc golf technique/teaching has some pretty sloppy ways to describe the motions.

mind = blown. I'm a puller that makes a lot of sense though!

Question while you're here answering. I've been working on the standstill to get my shoulder turn which i had not been doing well before. Now I'm turning well and throwing pretty good from a standstill but adding any kind of run up throws me off, how can i practice my timing to add a run-up back in?

I'm ok throwing from a standstill but its starting to hurt my right knee a little b/c i'm not pivoting as well on my heel as i do with a run-up for some reason, so i feel i need to add a run up back in.

mind = blown. I'm a puller that makes a lot of sense though!

Question while you're here answering. I've been working on the standstill to get my shoulder turn which i had not been doing well before. Now I'm turning well and throwing pretty good from a standstill but adding any kind of run up throws me off, how can i practice my timing to add a run-up back in?

I'm ok throwing from a standstill but its starting to hurt my right knee a little b/c i'm not pivoting as well on my heel as i do with a run-up for some reason, so i feel i need to add a run up back in.

From a standstill you can reduce some knee pain by making sure you are on your toes with you knees bent. Be in an athletic position. When you set up in your standstill your heel should be pointing toward the target while you are on your toes(point the heel as your comfort allows, some can twist more than others). When you rotate through you should be able to roll into the heel and displace some of the power better through your legs.

As for adding in the run-up, I suggest learning the run-up while using a minimal reach back. You need to master both of them separately and then slowly bring them together. I would try to find video or information on how Dave Feldberg throws as I feel his swing is the best way to learn a run-up. His arm swing and shoulder drop is easier to time with a run-up because it sets up the body the best. I believe there a few videos out there of him teaching the run-up and they should be easy to find. What you need to focus on is how his swing helps to transfer his weight to his backfoot, and then primes his throw so that he can move it forward. His actual swing isn't for everyone, but the concept of his swing setting up his footwork for power generation is revolutionary.

It really just comes down to practicing as much as you can and trusting that over time it will become natural. When you stop forcing yourself to see improvements every throw, and just trust it, usually it works itself out.

Last edited:

You're right...Shoestring probably has no idea what he's talking about. :|

Just because someone can throw a disc far, doesn't mean they honestly understand what they're doing. There are people who won't ever be a top pro who are far better teachers than those who are.

That goes for every athletic activity though.

Just because someone can throw a disc far, doesn't mean they honestly understand what they're doing. There are people who won't ever be a top pro who are far better teachers than those who are.

That goes for every athletic activity though.

You honestly think Schusterick has no idea what he's talking about? Ha..

You're right...Shoestring probably has no idea what he's talking about. :|
Would you accept this advice if it came from a pro who's played pro longer than Will, and whose understanding of athletic biomechanics came from playing college football?

Knowing what works best for him doesn't mean Will doesn't know what he's talking about. It also doesn't discount that his might not be the best throwing theory. It's interesting to know how the top pros throw. Doesn't mean it's great theory.

Last edited:
Would you accept this advice if it came from a pro who's played pro longer than Will, and whose understanding of athletic biomechanics came from playing college football?

Knowing what works best for him doesn't mean Will doesn't know what he's talking about. It also doesn't discount that his might not be the best throwing theory. It's interesting to know how the top pros throw. Doesn't mean it's great theory.

Possibly. But Will is a 1040+ rated player...I don't understand how someone could possibly think he has no clue about the mechanics of the game. Will has some of the cleanest form I've ever seen, that's unquestionable.

Possibly. But Will is a 1040+ rated player...I don't understand how someone could possibly think he has no clue about the mechanics of the game. Will has some of the cleanest form I've ever seen, that's unquestionable.
Nate Doss has 3 World Titles and look at his freakin' putting style! Who'd teach that, honestly? But hear him break it down in person, and it's his most confident style and works best for him.

Will kills it with a throw that includes a mile-long reachback. You could name players all day who perform great but have some unique funkiness somewhere in their throw. For Will, it's reaching back to grab another pair of shades outta the car before he launches the disc forward.

BUT
To throw far and throw well, that crazy reach is not required, and possibly detrimental. UNLESS you own the muscle memory and lifetime history of mechanics work that Will has (aka you ARE Will). His throw is best for him, he knows exactly what he's talking about -- his own form.

Nate Doss has 3 World Titles and look at his freakin' putting style! Who'd teach that, honestly? But hear him break it down in person, and it's his most confident style and works best for him.

Will kills it with a throw that includes a mile-long reachback. You could name players all day who perform great but have some unique funkiness somewhere in their throw. For Will, it's reaching back to grab another pair of shades outta the car before he launches the disc forward.

BUT
To throw far and throw well, that crazy reach is not required, and possibly detrimental. UNLESS you own the muscle memory and lifetime history of mechanics work that Will has (aka you ARE Will). His throw is best for him, he knows exactly what he's talking about -- his own form.

Then no one should take advice from anyone. Because if your statement holds true, no one will be the same in their form. Basically you're saying advice from anyone is worthless because everyone's form is different.

Will is a 1040+ rated golfer. Therefore, he cannot be wrong about anything, ever.

Duh.

It seems to me that the important part is not necessarily how far he reaches back, but how far he turns his shoulders. I'm pretty much Shusterick's twin as far as body type, but I don't know that I'll ever feel comfortable reaching back that far. His shoulder turn is awesome though. Also, I think this is one of the best driving videos I've seen :thmbup:

That's what I said...not. But him being a 1040+ golfer definitely helps legitimize what he's saying.

That's the halo effect, which is a fallacy.

Nikko is an amazing golfer as well. I can tell you from my own experience that he is a terrible teacher.

I can throw pretty far myself, but I can't tell you why, or how I do it. I just do it.

Some people are great at breaking down bio-mechanics, coaching, and telling you "how" to do it. Some people are just good at doing it. Some people can do both. But, I guarantee they are far fewer in numbers.

I'm not saying Will is right or wrong. I'm just saying that his being 1040 rated means he is really good at "doing", but it says nothing for his ability to articulate "how".