• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Wraith love - post your stories

Need some info on Star Wraith markings. Just got a tournament stamp 167 marked Star WR with pat numbers? Is this like a PFN Kenny or before that? Any help would be awesome

Usually Pre-Kenny stars are marked SWR.

PFN with patents are usually star WR.

Destroyer always kicked the crap out of the Wraith for me in headwinds. The Destroyer is more stable and penetrates better.

I have a 10 year old star Destroyer that I'll still throw into headwinds. It seemingly hasn't lost any stability over the years.

For the the Wraith gets knocked down too much in headwinds and isn't stable enough for hard throws. Ideally I'll use an XCal when it really starts blowing.

Some of us don't have the arm for a Destroyer and I personally don't like a rim width beyond Wraith width. You can definitely find a Wraith perfectly able to handle headwinds. As has been discussed, their stability is all over the map, but I have some in E-star, champion and star that I trust in headwinds up to 20mph. After that it's firebird territory for me. 162g might be pushing it for headwinds, I generally throw 170g to 175g.

I also have Wraiths in all those plastics that run from slightly OS to US, it's mostly about plh and weight.

Destroyer always kicked the crap out of the Wraith for me in headwinds. The Destroyer is more stable and penetrates better.

I have a 10 year old star Destroyer that I'll still throw into headwinds. It seemingly hasn't lost any stability over the years.

For the the Wraith gets knocked down too much in headwinds and isn't stable enough for hard throws. Ideally I'll use an XCal when it really starts blowing.

I have a DX Destroyer that was $3 at PIAS but looked literally brand new. I've thrown it some, but it was always more than my noodle arm could use.

I'm wondering if my Star Wraith might not be too overpowered into the wind, which might "help" it fly faster than it really is. If it works, great; if not, I've still got a Krait and DDx to try out... and as always, I get to have fun throwing the discs to test them out. :thmbup:

I have a MF champion and a couple of new patent # E-stars, all 175g, sitting on the shelf. They all need considerable breaking in before I'll consider bagging them for my OS distance slot.

I'm wondering if my Star Wraith might not be too overpowered into the wind, which might "help" it fly faster than it really is. If it works, great; if not, I've still got a Krait and DDx to try out... and as always, I get to have fun throwing the discs to test them out. :thmbup:

Didn't work. :thmbdown: We had a front coming into today, and some really blustery winds at times. I got to throw my 162g Star Wraith straight into those headwinds... and the winds won. They turned that Wraith over and it kept turning over like it was a Tern or something. Maybe the weight is just too light, and maybe this particular disc will work well in lesser winds, but today's test was a "we learned something" experience...

Didn't work. :thmbdown: We had a front coming into today, and some really blustery winds at times. I got to throw my 162g Star Wraith straight into those headwinds... and the winds won. They turned that Wraith over and it kept turning over like it was a Tern or something. Maybe the weight is just too light, and maybe this particular disc will work well in lesser winds, but today's test was a "we learned something" experience...

Yeah, the Wraith would never be my choice for a wind disc. Even if they're gentle breezes. That said, I bet something like an XCal would be too much for your arm. You ever throw a Teerex? That disc can actually handle a breeze pretty well. Same speed as a Wraith too.

Yeah, the Wraith would never be my choice for a wind disc. Even if they're gentle breezes. That said, I bet something like an XCal would be too much for your arm. You ever throw a Teerex? That disc can actually handle a breeze pretty well. Same speed as a Wraith too.

Yes, I think the XCal would be a bit much for my arm, especially backhanded. I have not thrown a Teerex, and if memory serves me correctly, those are going OOP. Anyhoo, I'll try the DDx (S-line, then C-line) as a windy weather compliment to my Tern, and re-visit the Krait, which is a hugely underrated disc.

Yes, I think the XCal would be a bit much for my arm, especially backhanded. I have not thrown a Teerex, and if memory serves me correctly, those are going OOP. Anyhoo, I'll try the DDx (S-line, then C-line) as a windy weather compliment to my Tern, and re-visit the Krait, which is a hugely underrated disc.

DDX probably won't work for headwinds. If anything, its flippier than a Wraith. The Krait might, but its more of a straight flier than anything.

I do agree the Krait is underrated, but more for straight line bombing.

For subtle headwinds I've been tossing the star Destroyer a lot lately with great success. It won't stand up to big gusts, but for anything under that its perfect. Again though, probably a little much for your arm.

DDX probably won't work for headwinds. If anything, its flippier than a Wraith. The Krait might, but its more of a straight flier than anything.

I do agree the Krait is underrated, but more for straight line bombing.

For subtle headwinds I've been tossing the star Destroyer a lot lately with great success. It won't stand up to big gusts, but for anything under that its perfect. Again though, probably a little much for your arm.

A disc that has been working surprisingly well for me in headwinds is the Star SL. We're not talking hurricanes or 40 mph gusts, but winds up into the 20s. The SL was holding up and gliding on the wind for surprisingly good distances.

And yes, I like the straight-shooting and dump fade of the Krait.

A disc that has been working surprisingly well for me in headwinds is the Star SL. We're not talking hurricanes or 40 mph gusts, but winds up into the 20s. The SL was holding up and gliding on the wind for surprisingly good distances.

And yes, I like the straight-shooting and dump fade of the Krait.

The star SL was WAAAYYY beefier than the pro Starfire. I never liked it. I found it relatively glideless and short.

It was this weird speed 10 disc that never performed for me. Very similar to an Orc, but the Orc was better.

Speaking of headwind discs, you might give a heavy Orc a look. They're pretty versatile in all conditions.

Yeah, a Krait and an Orc are better headwind discs than a Wraith. Pfffft!

Orcs are nice, like a bit shorter Wraith. Never thrown a Krait, based on the flight numbers I naver saw the need.

Since this is the Wraith love thread, let me just say I love the right Wraith in a headwind. I don't throw the only one I own that's under 168g because.....it kinda gets pushed around in the wind. And it's kinda flippy. That's not what I look for in a Wraith.

The star SL was WAAAYYY beefier than the pro Starfire. I never liked it. I found it relatively glideless and short.

It was this weird speed 10 disc that never performed for me. Very similar to an Orc, but the Orc was better.

Speaking of headwind discs, you might give a heavy Orc a look. They're pretty versatile in all conditions.

There is a new batch of Star SLs out there, maybe leftover from the Valarie 4x SL batch. They're similar to pro SLs and not overly beefy. They fly well for me (I have two), and they're fun to throw. I like Pro SLs, also, btw.

I do have a Star Orc, in the 160s in wt. I'll dig it out and see how it does. I need a really windy weekend...

Okay, back to Wraith talk... :popcorn:

Yeah, a Krait and an Orc are better headwind discs than a Wraith. Pfffft!

Orcs are nice, like a bit shorter Wraith. Never thrown a Krait, based on the flight numbers I naver saw the need.

Since this is the Wraith love thread, let me just say I love the right Wraith in a headwind. I don't throw the only one I own that's under 168g because.....it kinda gets pushed around in the wind. And it's kinda flippy. That's not what I look for in a Wraith.

I don't use any of those discs for headwinds. But I also throw quite a bit further than 300'. At 300' power a Wraith will probably do for most casual headwinds.

I use an XCal and star Destroyer for headwinds most commonly. Sometimes a Flick too.

I don't use any of those discs for headwinds. But I also throw quite a bit further than 300'. At 300' power a Wraith will probably do for most casual headwinds.

I use an XCal and star Destroyer for headwinds most commonly. Sometimes a Flick too.

Wraiths are my primary distance driver, max about 350' both BH and FH. I also throw Firebirds and PDs in a headwind. Love PDs and have mentioned it in the PD thread.

Wraiths are my primary distance driver, max about 350' both BH and FH. I also throw Firebirds and PDs in a headwind. Love PDs and have mentioned it in the PD thread.

I've thrown the PD2, but not the regular PD. PD2 is a beefy overstable monster, similar to the XCal. I think the last Wraith I bagged was a CFR Augusta years ago. Great flying disc. I should dig that thing back out.

What's the most overstable plastic for the wraith? Are the bottom stamp stars supposed to be pretty overstable like destroyers? I just picked up a fresh star and it's not really holding up into a headwind. Don't know if I just gotta a lower plh star, but it only seems slightly more overstable than my pro wraith.

What's the most overstable plastic for the wraith? Are the bottom stamp stars supposed to be pretty overstable like destroyers?

The one bottom stamp Star Wraith I had was very OS. Took a long time to season to normal Wraith flight. Generally I've found max weight Champion to be the most OS. Maybe find one of the production Glow Champion out there.

The real answer is probably along the PLH issue. If you can't find what you're looking for but you want to stick with 11 speeds the PDX would pair well with your Wraiths.

What Overstable said, probably a PLH thing, though if you either throw far or with some form issues, a wraith might not hold up to a strong headwind all that great. PDX is a good suggestion to pair it with, as is the TeeRex.