• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Wraith love - post your stories

I carry Xcals and Firebirds (and Drones, Drones/Xcals get most of the work to be honest). I typically carry two of each one beat on fresh. I have three identical red rimmed Halo Wraiths, my brother has one purpleish blue rim. My worn Xcal, FB, and Drones all have noticeably straighter flight paths and later fade.

I should have elaborated my sample size is only four discs, it isn't fair of me to proclaim they're all that way...just seems to be the trend so I rolled with it.

I carry Xcals and Firebirds (and Drones, Drones/Xcals get most of the work to be honest). I typically carry two of each one beat on fresh. I have three identical red rimmed Halo Wraiths, my brother has one purpleish blue rim. My worn Xcal, FB, and Drones all have noticeably straighter flight paths and later fade.

I should have elaborated my sample size is only four discs, it isn't fair of me to proclaim they're all that way...just seems to be the trend so I rolled with it.

Mine is red as well if color makes any difference.

I guess I have a an oddball. I got a 173-175g Red Halo Wraith with a mild dome that is straight as a bullet with a small fade in the end. If there is even a small headwind I will get a small S-shaped flight out of it. It's also noticable that I don't have that big of a arm and I can push it to ~375ft. It's not my max distance driver but I love it on the fairway for those long 2nd shots where you need distance and control.

On the other hand I have 2 gg halo wraiths that have huge domes and fly pretty OS.

I initially bagged destroyers for distance driver so I thought grabbing a Wraith would be too much overlap. After having great success with the Destroyer for months, I decided to try a GStar Wraith. These discs cover two completely different shot shapes in my bag. Both fight the wind very well (my home course has consistently strong winds with two holes being uphill headwind) The GStar Destroyer likes to be thrown flat and hard, will hold a straight line, and have the trusty fade back at the end. I have to give the Wraith a little hyzer, it will stand up and turn a good bit, then have a strong fade back as well. I also bag the Garrett Gurthie 2021 Tour series Halo Wraith when I want just a little turn into the headwind (GStar will rollover) but a strong fade back and huge flair. All in all, I now use the Wraith more for forehand and Destroyer backhand. Great disc!

Anybody throwing the XXL Zen Echo Star Wraiths that DGU had a month or two ago? How do you like them? I'm only throwing putters and mids due to an injury, but have a pair waiting for me.

After a long stint with destroyers as my cycled distance driver of choice, I've returned to the wraith. My nephew traded me a mild-domed GG Halo the other day, I threw it flat and hard, and it went straight and far, before fading forward. I was in love again, and had to rekindle the old flame.

My current cycle (OS to US)
1. Red stock halo (pre GG)
2. Smoke GG halo
3. Blue 12x star
4. Dayglow 12x star
5. Worlds stamp flippy flipper star

The two 12x KCs are brand new. The blue is max weight, slight pop top, flies like you'd expect a fresh star wraith to - a slight stand up and a glidey push with some late forward fade. The dayglow is 171, more mild dome, and is surprisingly pretty flippy out of the box. But that's not a bad thing. There is no bad wraith. (Hopefully this honeymoon period isn't too evident)

Fly on, fellow wraith yeeters.

Attachments

• Wraiths.jpg
    Wraiths.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 68
GStar

I just picked up a new Gstar Wraith (168g) and it’s flippier than my champ roadrunner at the same weight. Don’t get me wrong, it glides for days on a hyper flip. But are there any wraiths that reliably fly like the flight numbers when new? (I can throw about 380’-400’).

I just picked up a new Gstar Wraith (168g) and it’s flippier than my champ roadrunner at the same weight. Don’t get me wrong, it glides for days on a hyper flip. But are there any wraiths that reliably fly like the flight numbers when new? (I can throw about 380’-400’).

I have a 167g GStar that's relatively flat and it's pretty flippy. I imagine a Star Wraith in the 160s would be your best bet if you want to see the -1 turn out of the box.

See my post a couple posts up. I purchased two recent star wraiths (from Amazon, don't @ me), one flies like the numbers (slight pop top) the other has some flip out of the box (mild dome). If you have the luxury of hand-picking, I'd seek out one that has a mild dome and a flatter wing profile.

Anybody throwing the XXL Zen Echo Star Wraiths that DGU had a month or two ago? How do you like them? I'm only throwing putters and mids due to an injury, but have a pair waiting for me.

I picked up a pair, mine are fairly domey. The are on the understable-side of the Wraith spectrum with a ton of glide for me. Great bombers if you hit the angle right.

Ugh. Sorry. This is the oppo of love.

I have heard a lot of Wraith love but haven't put this mold through the paces until this week.

I bought a GG halo (173-175g) because I love halo and it was just in stock.

Here is why I thought I would love it: 1) one of my local gurus swears by it, especially for FH; 2) one of my neighborhood card-mates throws one for his max distance driver; 3) if it's good enough for GG, who am I to question that?

Here is my sadness: 1) it doesn't go very far even when I rip it--I was getting more distance with my Envy; 2) didn't go that far; 3) meathook way more than I expected. And then 4) when I see what it can do that might be unique and useful, I'm not getting much. Best I've got so far is a high-nose-angle, slow-speed flex line.

Just having trouble finding this disc's niche. At this point, it's like a -10% Halo Destroyer at the same weight.

I need halp. I know this is a quality disc and I'm super frustrated.

I hear you. I love my 160gm used Starlite Wraith - it's a laser beam with a tiny bit of fade. I picked up a Halo Wraith, 175gm and couldn't get it anywhere. Just an unusable meathook for me. It was a different disc.

The biggest issue I have with a GG Wraith is the huge dome. It really exaggerates nose up issues. If you get it nose up it will just dive and fly nowhere. I got a "stock" halo wraith that is flatish and it flyes beautifully. Straight as a bullet with decent fade. If I get a touch of headwind or really crank on it I will get a nice S-curve flight.

Tl:dr: GG wraiths are a bit too much for the majority of players

Ugh. Sorry. This is the oppo of love.

I have heard a lot of Wraith love but haven't put this mold through the paces until this week.

I bought a GG halo (173-175g) because I love halo and it was just in stock.

Here is why I thought I would love it: 1) one of my local gurus swears by it, especially for FH; 2) one of my neighborhood card-mates throws one for his max distance driver; 3) if it's good enough for GG, who am I to question that?

Here is my sadness: 1) it doesn't go very far even when I rip it--I was getting more distance with my Envy; 2) didn't go that far; 3) meathook way more than I expected. And then 4) when I see what it can do that might be unique and useful, I'm not getting much. Best I've got so far is a high-nose-angle, slow-speed flex line.

Just having trouble finding this disc's niche. At this point, it's like a -10% Halo Destroyer at the same weight.

I need halp. I know this is a quality disc and I'm super frustrated.

Garrett Gurthie Halo Wraiths are probably designed to be thrown with a lot of power. So, if you are not throwing it with sufficient arm speed, the results will be what you are describing.

Bring the Halo Wraith with you to the course and let this neighborhood card-mate give it a whirl. See what he thinks of it. Maybe he will say that it is a great long distance bomber, or maybe not.

This disc may currently be too much for you. I don't know your background; how far you throw, or what your mechanics are like. But, over time, you will learn what works for you. This disc might need to be beaten in significantly to get where you like it. Or, over time, maybe your game will continue to grow to where you will also be bombing discs like this.

Just like lots of decisions in life, your choices in disc golf won't always pan out like you imagined they would. That is normal. Learn from everything, and continue moving forward to the next fairway.

Really appreciate the responses. Felt like this disc would become an instant favorite and it just hasn't been that.

The biggest issue I have with a GG Wraith is the huge dome. It really exaggerates nose up issues. If you get it nose up it will just dive and fly nowhere. I got a "stock" halo wraith that is flatish and it flyes beautifully. Straight as a bullet with decent fade. If I get a touch of headwind or really crank on it I will get a nice S-curve flight.

Tl:dr: GG wraiths are a bit too much for the majority of players

This might be the heart of it, the sensitivity to initial conditions and nose angle.

It's almost certainly more disc than I am capable of using well, it's proven that to me already--but I might try to throw it a bit more nose down and like an F-14 Tomcat ripping over the ocean.

Garrett Gurthie Halo Wraiths are probably designed to be thrown with a lot of power. So, if you are not throwing it with sufficient arm speed, the results will be what you are describing.

I get my distance drivers out 375-425' consistently (actual measurements, no wind, thick grass soccer field). Every now and then a skosh further than 425', but what's really encouraging is they aren't going shorter than 375' that often. I'm working on improving my distance game, but at 46 a year into playing I'm satisfied with my progress so far--it's been leaps and bounds since last August.

I feel like they need a warning label on the disc if this is the case--Caution: Only for 70+ MPH arms!! (or idk, I'm probably doing something wrong?)

What gets me is that I get great results with the Halo Destroyer. Not saying that Halo Destroyer is a max distance thing, but it feels like a well-understood weapon that has a clear role in my arsenal. This Wraith feels like that Destroyer, but just...less. I'll have to do some testing in the wind, maybe it's just a beefier Destroyer. Maybe get it out of my hand with slight flex or tweak my mechanics.

Bring the Halo Wraith with you to the course and let this neighborhood card-mate give it a whirl. See what he thinks of it. Maybe he will say that it is a great long distance bomber, or maybe not.

The whole story is that he's kind of a noodle arm, hopes to get more than 200'. He puts a lightweight Wraith on a flex line.

This disc may currently be too much for you. I don't know your background; how far you throw, or what your mechanics are like. But, over time, you will learn what works for you. This disc might need to be beaten in significantly to get where you like it. Or, over time, maybe your game will continue to grow to where you will also be bombing discs like this.

I forgot to mention that I had already thrown a 168g Pro Wraith a few months back--actually at The Fort back around last Christmas. That lake you have to clear on 17 was frozen over and my Pro Wraith landed on it. Close enough to the edge of the lake that I was tempted--it was *right there*--but I had these visions of dying of hypothermia trapped under ice... So I lost it before I could fully put it through its paces, but it had made an impression of being a less stable Destroyer.

Overall, I'm just surprised that I'm not getting good distance with it. I am throwing in the Denver area and that has some relationship to the disc's characteristics...but, again, reference the Halo Destroyer.

I'd love for a *real* bomber to see what they think of this particular disc, but I throw farther than pretty much everyone I regularly play with.

Maybe if I had played West Fork the other day when Eagle came through, I could have asked... :D

Last edited:
From my experience the GG Halo Wraiths are to Star Wraiths what the Heimburg Halo Destroyers are to Star Destroyers. There's individual inconsistencies within the molds but in general the GG Halo will be a domier, more overstable version of the Wraith.

I throw similar distances to you, albeit at sea level, and a bomber wraith for me will be a somewhat seasoned max weight Star or a fairly fresh GStar, maybe the right Pro. A GG Halo is the overstable bookend and will go shorter, it's almost closer to an Invictus than a Wraith.

I don't know about your particular Halo Destroyer, but the fresh Halo Destroyers I've thrown are faster and a touch more overstable than the GG Halo Wraiths I've thrown, similar to how an average Destroyer will be compared to an average Wraith.

Personally I love Wraiths, but I also throw Bosses on occasion when I want/need something faster, so I don't feel like I need the added speed a Destroyer brings.

I don't know about your particular Halo Destroyer, but the fresh Halo Destroyers I've thrown are faster and a touch more overstable than the GG Halo Wraiths I've thrown, similar to how an average Destroyer will be compared to an average Wraith.

My Halo Destroyer was an early run of Halo plastic, before the Heimberg stamped ones.

Everything you mentioned kinda squares with what I'm seeing.

I'm not going to give up on the GG Wraith because I've seen fantastic things and love this Halo plastic, but after even more field work today, I'm just not sure what to make of this disc. It doesn't glide at all, and it doesn't actually meathook like a meathook disc. Maybe I should weigh it, maybe it's actually 193g instead of 173g.

I got one out on a low line-drive slight flex line, max mph or near it.

Same damned Envy-like distance.

Personally I love Wraiths, but I also throw Bosses on occasion when I want/need something faster, so I don't feel like I need the added speed a Destroyer brings.

Just re-read this part of your post and feel exactly as you do, so this helps me a lot. The part about the Boss is exactly my line of thinking on this one.

I think I'm going to keep the Wraith in the fieldwork rotation and hope to season it a bit. My hope it is that it becomes a less overstable version of the max weight Champ Boss I am bagging for max-apocalypse (weather conditions) FH shots. Something that can dominate the headwinds and turn all that arm energy into a reliable result.

All the same, I kinda wonder if this GG Halo mold is an aerodynamic 'oops' from Innova.

My GG halo wraiths are mild-domed (I specifically searched for these). They are quite overstable for wraiths, but in my experience they will still glide and fly well if hit firmly and close to flat.

I really like my GG wraith. I have a G-star that is understable, a stable champ, and the halo star is currently an overstable compliment to those two. Mine has a pretty big dome and a noticeably higher parting line than my other wraiths.