• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

XXX

Paintball1084 said:
how would you compare the XXX to an Xcal. Im thinking about something to get my brother for Xmas. he Throws forehand with star Xcals and they seem to become too understabe too fast. I was thinking about getting him an opto XXX to try out. I want to get him something that is as stable and just as long as they Xcal that might not break in as fast. any info would be great.
The upcoming Halo would fit the bill, but too late for Xmas.

FLX is all I've been throwing. I don't really like Z plastic, and I didn't really see much difference in the ESP and FLX plastics fondling some of the disc at a local store. They seemed about the same to me. But, I might give an ESP a try if it'll give me the same flight, but longer!
I've never really thrown or held an ESP anything for more than a minute.
Both of my FLX are 171, one is blue and one is white.
They seriously fly identical and one is almost a year old, the other I just got today.

I'd definatly be willing to try the ESP Pred though, even if it's not quite as durable because I have the FLX for durability. I don't really know how the ESP holds up compared to Z or FLX. Windage use I always used the FLX. I'd probably use the ESP if it's not as windy and on more open holes if it's not as durable or doesn't handle wind as good. I dunno.

adamschneider said:
Paintball1084 said:
how would you compare the XXX to an Xcal. Im thinking about something to get my brother for Xmas. he Throws forehand with star Xcals and they seem to become too understabe too fast. I was thinking about getting him an opto XXX to try out. I want to get him something that is as stable and just as long as they Xcal that might not break in as fast. any info would be great.

What leads you to believe this? I'd say the Blitz would fit the bill.

Jeronimo said:
adamschneider said:
The stats listed for the Halo are very similar to the XCaliber. Of course, the Blitz is similar too.

Champion X-Caliber
Diameter 21,1 cm
Maximum weight 175,1 gram
Height 1,6 cm
Rim depth 1,2 cm
Inside rim diameter 16,4 cm
Rim thickness 2,3 cm

Opto Halo
Diameter 21,1 cm
Height 1,5 cm
Rim depth 1,1 cm
Inside rim diameter 16,3 cm
Rim thickness 2,4 cm

Opto Blitz
Diameter 21,2 cm
Maximum weight 176,0 gram
Height 1,6 cm
Rim depth 1,2 cm
Inside rim diameter 16,8 cm
Rim thickness 2,2 cm

Just got mine in the mail from pat today...can't wait to try it....of course it is -6 degrees....so it is going to have to wait awhile....or spring :(

peppermack said:
Just got mine in the mail from pat today...can't wait to try it....of course it is -6 degrees....so it is going to have to wait awhile....or spring :(
Yeah, I got my XXX in the mail yesterday and almost got frostbite opening the envelope. Looks like we don't even get above freezing until the weekend at the earliest. (This is very abnormal for Portland.)

adamschneider said:
Jeronimo said:
adamschneider said:
The stats listed for the Halo are very similar to the XCaliber. Of course, the Blitz is similar too.

Champion X-Caliber
Diameter 21,1 cm
Height 1,6 cm
Rim depth 1,2 cm
Inside rim diameter 16,4 cm
Rim thickness 2,3 cm

Opto Halo
Diameter 21,1 cm
Height 1,5 cm
Rim depth 1,1 cm
Inside rim diameter 16,3 cm
Rim thickness 2,4 cm

Opto Blitz
Diameter 21,2 cm
Maximum weight 176,0 gram
Height 1,6 cm
Rim depth 1,2 cm
Inside rim diameter 16,8 cm
Rim thickness 2,2 cm

Right but you realize those stat's do little to determine the discs flights? Rim thickness will effect speed and height will probably effect glide but other than that those stat's don't say anything about rim curve. On top of that Latitude has stated that it is Boss-similar.

Finally got a chance to throw the XXX side-by-side with the Firebird today, hoping for a possible new tomahawk disc.

But... this disc hates me, and the feeling is mutual. Anyone want to buy a barely-used yellow 170g Opto XXX? Make me an offer.

I have had the chance to throw the XXX some more to compare it to the FB for thumbers. It took a few tries to get it right. It seems to flip a little faster than the FB and uses a little more room side to side. Beyond that it is very comparable. The main hole that I use it on requires a fairly specific flight, and once I did it a few times I was able to dial it in just like I used to do with the FB. I imagine in the open I could probably throw it farther by letting it work side to side a bit more.

I like it. As a roller it seems to resist turning all the way over better than my candy pro Firebird, though that may be because the FB has some wear on it. It's in the bag now.

I like it as well. its a skippin fool too. only problem I've had is when I do spike hyzers it tends to come down and roll some. whereas my fb sticks. I hav both in my bag to see which I like more. my fb is becoming more stable since its beat. so we'll see.

Is this disc even pdga legal? I got mine in last week, finally got to throw it a few times at doubles today and a couple of guys looked it at and noticed it didn't have a pdga approved stamp. I assumed it was good but never really checked it out.

I came darn close to getting my first XXX ace with a thumber today. It was a 280' hole with pretty much no fairway (Taylor hole 2) except to do some sort of over the top shot or a poke and hope. I threw a high thumber with the XXX and although I couldn't see it finish I heard it hit metal and the disc was underneath the basket. I think I hit right in front of it and jumped up hitting the bottom of the basket. That was the nail in my Firebird's coffin as any doubt I had that the XXX wasn't a superior disc in every way was washed away.

discspeed said:
I came darn close to getting my first XXX ace with a thumber today. It was a 280' hole with pretty much no fairway (Taylor hole 2) except to do some sort of over the top shot or a poke and hope. I threw a high thumber with the XXX and although I couldn't see it finish I heard it hit metal and the disc was underneath the basket. I think I hit right in front of it and jumped up hitting the bottom of the basket. That was the nail in my Firebird's coffin as any doubt I had that the XXX wasn't a superior disc in every way was washed away.

Nice!

After my round this afternoon I threw the XXX on thumbers a couple times and was loving the slow turn on it compared to the Firebird, which I never really used for thumbers because I didn't like the type of flight it took at shorter ranges (which are the only thumbers I throw).

The local newspaper got a shot of me with my XXX with the fresh dye. WOOOO!
17963_390601570482_550940482_10320234_7627967_n.jpg

17963_390477350482_550940482_10318852_4904499_n.jpg

There's something about this disc. It did me really well yesterday at a tournament on some pro tees. But it didn't come thru on a couple of holes. We have one hole that's a LONNNNNNNNG right handed turn in the woods. I sidearmed the XXX and hit the perfect line, and sunk a 50 foot putt. I loved how the XXX took the hyzer line the whole way.
But on shorter approaches I found that when I side armed it with some anhyzer on it, and put it about 70% power hoping that it would carry a nice S turn flight, it seemed to carry the anny line for way too long.

I couldn't understand how at a faster speed it would hold a hyzer line, yet when thrown slower it never seemed to turn over early because of the weak spin. I dunno. I like this disc, but I really need to find the sweet spot and figure out how it works with most throws. I will say this tho, I threw a tomahawk with this thing nearly vertical 40 feet high at about 45 degrees, and it NEVER turned. Stayed straight the whole time. I'm thinking I might try to roll this disc with a strong sidearm and see the line that it takes.

AciDBatH666 said:
The local newspaper got a shot of me with my XXX with the fresh dye. WOOOO!
17963_390601570482_550940482_10320234_7627967_n.jpg

17963_390477350482_550940482_10318852_4904499_n.jpg

There's something about this disc. It did me really well yesterday at a tournament on some pro tees. But it didn't come thru on a couple of holes. We have one hole that's a LONNNNNNNNG right handed turn in the woods. I sidearmed the XXX and hit the perfect line, and sunk a 50 foot putt. I loved how the XXX took the hyzer line the whole way.
But on shorter approaches I found that when I side armed it with some anhyzer on it, and put it about 70% power hoping that it would carry a nice S turn flight, it seemed to carry the anny line for way too long.

I couldn't understand how at a faster speed it would hold a hyzer line, yet when thrown slower it never seemed to turn over early because of the weak spin. I dunno. I like this disc, but I really need to find the sweet spot and figure out how it works with most throws. I will say this tho, I threw a tomahawk with this thing nearly vertical 40 feet high at about 45 degrees, and it NEVER turned. Stayed straight the whole time. I'm thinking I might try to roll this disc with a strong sidearm and see the line that it takes.
i had the same problem with my softer fh upshots for a long time with the XXX coming from throwing preds and all i can say is they will come together, i probly took me around 2 months or so before my fh upshots were up to snuff again but it does happen