• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

XXX

discspeed said:
tigel said:
I'm getting an XXX to replace my firebirds. I just want it for my overhand shots, and maybe the rand?om dog leg upshot or something. Are XXX's all the same? domey, flat, different runs.. etc Does any of that matter for what I want?

I've thrown flat ones (the three I have are flat as flat can be) and a domey one. They were not all that different. All sick overstable. DGdave and Jesse speak of less stable XXX's, but I've not experienced any.

I concur.

how do the domey XXX fly overhand. I have a flat-top and love it for thumbers and tommies. Are flat tops still available?

The Wrist said:
how do the domey XXX fly overhand. I have a flat-top and love it for thumbers and tommies. Are flat tops still available?

The domey ones are slower and have more side to side movement in their flight with less forward penetration. I've seen more flats than domeys, so I'm sure they're still available.

I bought another one of these (after losing my 1st one), and threw it twice at Ice Bowl. It's a charity event, so I don't care about trying out new things.

1. Short hyzer shot. I tried it on #5 at Rosedale, short. It's about a 230' hyzer. Discpeed at some point said the disc gets moving to the left quicker than a Firebird if you put too much hyzer on it, and he wasn't kidding. I got a good rip on it, and if really starts moving to the left really, really quickly. So I hit a tree. I need some more time to work with the angle, but I liked the flight (until it hit the tree).

2. Forehand roller. I throw LHFH, and was trying to throw a cut roller on a difficult short right turning shot. I put too much hyzer on it, however, and it rolled straight IN THE SNOW for about 320'. The last 200' were totally straight. This thing is going to rock for these types of shots.

So far, so good. It's a nice utility disc.

Timko said:
2. Forehand roller. I throw LHFH, and was trying to throw a cut roller on a difficult short right turning shot. I put too much hyzer on it, however, and it rolled straight IN THE SNOW for about 320'. The last 200' were totally straight. This thing is going to rock for these types of shots.

This is very true. Personally I use it only for these kind of shots; when I need to do a forehand roller and want it to stay on it's line instead of turning over. Even at very low speed it tends to hold it's line better than any disc I've used.

/Svante

Have you experimented with cut rollers? Until DST kicks in, I only get out on the weekends, but I'll try to give those a shot if I go to a flatter course where I can roll.

Timko said:
Have you experimented with cut rollers? Until DST kicks in, I only get out on the weekends, but I'll try to give those a shot if I go to a flatter course where I can roll.

The answer is; -no I haven´t tried that.

I played in 30-40mph winds today and I must say the XXX was awesome. The fun factor on this disc goes up by about 10 when the wind is blowing like that. I was throwing in forehand and backhand off the tee and on a lot of approaches. It was so workable into those headwinds. It really makes me look forward to getting it broken in so it will hold a line like that in moderate winds as well.

discspeed said:
I played in 30-40mph winds today and I must say the XXX was awesome. The fun factor on this disc goes up by about 10 when the wind is blowing like that. I was throwing in forehand and backhand off the tee and on a lot of approaches. It was so workable into those headwinds. It really makes me look forward to getting it broken in so it will hold a line like that in moderate winds as well.
my oldest one is finally getting pretty seasoned, they get long

2 quick questions

1. is the XXX longer than an 11x firebird, thrown BH or FH

2. is the XXX more reliable in a headwind than an XCal?

Pat said:
2 quick questions

1. is the XXX longer than an 11x firebird, thrown BH or FH

2. is the XXX more reliable in a headwind than an XCal?

1. I think most folks that throw the XXX would say it's longer than a Firebird, but I haven't thrown it enough to personally back it up.

2. The XXX is more reliable in a headwind, but it doesn't get near the distance.

I got to throw the XXX for the first time overhand, and I was really impressed with it. It got me into the circle on a very difficult wooded 180' hole.

I've tried a couple times to throw a forehand cut roller, but it straightens out too quickly. Has anyone else messed around with these shots yet?

My XXX is definitely a little broken in now. On approach shots I can get it to stick now, where when it was new it was alway skipping at the end. These are awesome when they start to break in a little. I can't wait until I get it even more beat.

Spinach D said:
my XXX is shorter than my champ FB.

What's going on here? Is your FB a 12x? Proline? Broken in? In any of those cases I could see a new XXX being more overstable, faster, and therefore potentially shorter on the same throw. Break it in a little and it will stretch out. It still won't be significantly longer...Its a better version of the same thing.

I ordered one of these today. Only colors DGC had in my weight were yellow and brown and some of the opto yellow is to close to clear for me so sadly I had to get brown. Hope I can find it in the spring, summer, and fall.

discspeed said:
Spinach D said:
my XXX is shorter than my champ FB.

What's going on here? Is your FB a 12x? Proline? Broken in? In any of those cases I could see a new XXX being more overstable, faster, and therefore potentially shorter on the same throw. Break it in a little and it will stretch out. It still won't be significantly longer...Its a better version of the same thing.

Must just be a freakish XXX. I've had. many FBs and my current one is typical and fairly new.