• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fluke's bag

It was a pretty exhausting week of work. My sous was out sick and we had 3 special events this week. Regardless, that is over now and Bean and I got to play the reds at Rockland. We were playing fast to beat the darkness. I've been thinking about pulling the Star Roadrunner out and slotting my beat Gstar TL3 in its place. This would let me put the Star TL3 in the bag again to slot between the less beat Gstar TL3 and the Champ.

Today I threw:
4 Omegas
Recon Mortar
Star Mako3
2 TL3
2 Thunderbirds
2 Wraiths

4,3,3,4,3,2,4,2,3,2,3,3,2,3,3,3,2,3=52

It started out a little sketchy but I pulled it together in the end. I doubt I'm playing the Monster this week. It's supposed to be 100 degrees the next two days and there isn't much shade out there.

Today's highlight:
I took the deuce on 13 with a 60' uphill spinner with Little Magic

So I played a found disc round at Rockland from the blues on Monday. It sounded like a bad idea but I shot pretty well. I decided to try another "bad idea" today. Bean and I went to the Monster to play the B's. It was really hot! Upper nineties luckily with breezes and the humidity wasn't oppressive. I packed my usual discs into the Grip BX so I could double my haul of liquids. Bean and I have to stay hydrated. The zombie pond is nearly dried up. The grass is brown and crunchy. We need rain badly. I do like to throw a lot of rollers here so the dry conditions allow me to maximize their potential if I execute properly.

The discs:
4 Omegas
Recon Mortar
2 Mako3
Roc3
2 TL3
Roadrunner
2 Thunderbirds
2 Wraith

4,3,3,3,4,3,3,3,4,5,5,4,3,3,3,3,3,4=63

Highlights:
Taking birdies on 3 and 4. Hole 3 the roller wraith put me in the perfect spot. Hole 4 was the thunderbird combo; backhand to forehand to 18'.

Three on hole 6 is nice. I could see the basket from my drive. I ran Little Magic 25' long and Red made the comeback.

Hole 14 was another birdie. Roller wraith on a hyzer-flip air shot out of the gap and a forehand Star Thunderbird skipping in front of the basket.

Hole 15 was a Roller with the Wraith, upshot with the Roc3 and a 20' comeback putt.

The zombie pond is nearly dried up.

I do have one sacrifice to the disc golf gods in the zombie pond from the Monster Mash. 😇

So dry at the moment. Premium roller weather. Have to be careful on that first bounce though.

I know we've played in 16 degree weather before, but I went outside to get the mail yesterday and it felt like a literal sauna. Not for me haha
You know I'm not a fair weather golfer. I play in pretty much anything. It seems I shoot hot when the temps are hot so I might as well.
I do have one sacrifice to the disc golf gods in the zombie pond from the Monster Mash. 😇

So dry at the moment. Premium roller weather. Have to be careful on that first bounce though.
The disc you lost has either been found or is buried in the mud. I still have a Lucid Criminal of yours that I found a Limestone shortly after the redesign.

Roller weather should last through the winter now, excepting wind. I don't think the grass is going to grow back lush until spring. The first bounce is always the most important for rollers. You gotta maintain that angle and forward momentum.

The disc you lost has either been found or is buried in the mud. I still have a Lucid Criminal of yours that I found a Limestone shortly after the redesign.

Roller weather should last through the winter now, excepting wind. I don't think the grass is going to grow back lush until spring. The first bounce is always the most important for rollers. You gotta maintain that angle and forward momentum.

I made it across in the first round to Hole 14 basket. Second round and a early tree most likely resulted in a muddy grave.

Thank you for holding on to the criminal for so long. That was the last time I tried going over the top on hole #8 on the Monster. Hopefully we can run into one another sometime.

It is indeed roller season, doubt we'll have too much growth this fall. We should be good as long as its dry, going to get a bit muddy if we get a lot of rain this fall.

I played 3 rounds of the Monster B's over the course of 3 days. I scored fairly consistent and par to slightly under. My mistakes weren't attributed to any holes in particular except 15. Why do I four that one!?

4,3,3,4,3,4,4,3,4,4,4,4,3,4,4,3,3,4=65
4,4,4,3,4,3,3,3,4,5,4,3,3,5,4,3,3,4=66
4,3,4,4,3,4,3,3,4,5,4,4,3,5,4,3,3,3=66

The discs:
4 Omegas
Recon Mortar
2 Mako3
Champ Roc3
4 TL3
Star Roadrunner
2 Thunderbirds
Champ Draco
3 Wraiths
Sirius Scorpius

Rockland reds today with Bean. We got rained out yesterday. I played pretty hot today. I'm really liking the Star TL3 that I put back in the bag. It gets a slight flip up and glides really nicely. I may end up pulling the champ TL3 out.

The discs:
4 Omegas
Recon Mortar
2 Mako3
Champ Roc3
Star TL3
Star Roadrunner
2 Thunderbirds
2 Wraiths

The score:
3,3,2,3,3,2,3,2,2,3,2,3,3,3,3,3,2,3=48

The rough is withering but still very much wiry and briary. I got the opportunity to play the blues today so Bean and I took it. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who plays the longs. The pads needed a sweeping. I didn't find too much rough today either.

3,3,3,4,3,3,5,3,3,2,3,3,3,3,4,3,3,3=57

The discs:
3 Omegas
Recon Mortar
2 Mako3
Champ Roc3
Star TL3
2 Thunderbirds
Star Wraith

Apple Valley's final tag match of the year came back to Rockland this evening. They haven't played Rockland since April. I hadn't played a tag match since then. Bean and I decided we needed to represent the home turf. I played on a card of five, six if you count Bean. I really couldn't have asked for a better five-some: the Shiley brothers, Better Nate than Lever, myself and Raven Newsom. It's not often I get to play my home course with a touring pro. Raven was a consummate gentleman and a pleasure to play a round with. Sam, Zack and Nate are always my homeboys. We were going to be finishing in the dark. We knew it from the outset. We started on the back nine.

The discs:
4 Omegas
Recon Mortar
180 Star Mako3 (thanks Brian)
2 TL3
Star Roadrunner
Star Thunderbird
Star Wraith

The score:

Back: 2,3,3,3,3,3,3,2,3
Front: 3,3,3,3,3,3,4,2,3
Total: 52

It was pretty much dark from hole 6 onward. I ended up in a tie for second/fourth with Nate and Sam. Raven shot a 50. He has some skills. He is spending his offseason in the area so the Bean and I might play some rounds with him this winter. I hope he would enjoy that.

Highlights:
We had a five point Star frame on 17. I hit the longest putt at 30'.

I took a 4 on 7 in the dark. Nate took a 3. It was silly.

I hit a putt for 2 on hole 8 from 35' in the dark.

I may be getting a stack of Sea Otters from a friend.

I may be updating with some Raven rounds if Bean is cool with it. I'm pretty sure Raven will be. Good luck at USDGC dude!

Ps: I came in with tag 13. I left with tag 5.

The rough is withering but still very much wiry and briary. I got the opportunity to play the blues today so Bean and I took it. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who plays the longs. The pads needed a sweeping. I didn't find too much rough today either.
I'm torn on the blues, it would be nice to do a "greatest hits" of long and short pads.
I like shorts and think they're better shots for 2, 6, 11, 12.

Cool you've been getting to play with Raven some. I had a friend on his card on the Culpeper tourny earlier this year and said he was a pleasure to play with.

I'm moving down to Richmond at the end of the month, but I'm gonna miss Rockland, mostly in the winter.

Bean and I got to play Rockland reds yesterday and the Monster B's today.

Rockland:
3,4,2,3,4,2,5,3,2,2,2,3,3,3,3,3,3=53

Monster:
4,3,4,4,3,3,3,3,4,4,4,4,3,4,4,3,2,4=63

It's always nice to get a 2 on the Monster.

The bag:
Omegas:
170g 1.1 Sirius (Red, the putter)
150g 1.1 Sirius (Little Magic, the moneymaker)
175g 1.2 Sirius (straight to slight fade drives and approaches)
168g Quantum (overstable drives and approaches)

Midrange:
175g Recon Mortar (hyzers, flexes and forehands)
175g Champion Roc3 (Roc shots)
180g Star Mako3 (straight flip ups and turnovers)
171g Star Mako3 (hyzer flip shots that I want to turn)

Fairways:
175g Gstar TL3 (well seasoned, hyzer flips and rollers)
175g Gstar TL3 (hyzer flip to straight shots and turnovers)
175g Star TL3 (straight shots, hyzers and anhyzers)
167g Star Roadrunner (rollers)
168g Champion Thunderbird (well seasoned, it's a Swiss Army Knife of sorts)
169g Star Thunderbird (pretty new, straight to fades and hyzers)
175g 1.1 Luster Draco (well seasoned, hyzers, flexes and skip shots)

Wraiths:
170g Gstar (serious hyzer flips and rollers)
163g Star (the straight wraith)
175g Halo (straight to fades and hyzers)

A rare Friday off gave Bean and I the opportunity to play today. It was clear, calm winds and mid 70's, a beautiful day. We decided to play Sherando. I'm pretty sure I haven't played there since the Hangover Classsic January first. There are quite a few "must gets" out there so I get a little bored with it. There are some nice holes as well. My two favorites are holes 11 and 14.

We played the 20 hole layout today:

2,3,3,3,3,2,3,3,2,2,3,2,2,3,2,3,2,2,2,3=50

Bogey free is not too bad. I missed putts in the circle on holes 3 and 4. I had a brutal cut-through on hole 7. I deuced holes one and ten with the 163g Star Wraith on a forehand.

I threw:
4 Omegas
175g Mortar
171g Mako3
175g Star TL3
167g Roadrunner
168g Thunderbird
171 Gstar Wraith
163 Star Wraith

My throwing shoulder has been giving me some grief so I haven't thrown for a minute. It kid of sucks 'cause the weather has been really nice. Bean and I got out to Rockland to play the reds today. In order to preserve my shoulder I decided to play "smart golf" today. No max power shots, only placement shots and nothing faster than a TL3. I played pretty alright. I even took a conservative 2 on hole one, lol!

The discs:
3 Omegas:
175g 1.2 Sirius
150g 1.1 Sirius
170g 1.1 Sirius

171g Star Mako3
175g Champion Roc3

3 TL3:
175g Gstar first run
175g Star
175g Champion

The scores:
2,3,3,3,3,3,3,2,3,3,2,3,3,4,3,3,3,3=52

That's not a super hot score but is pretty dang good. I feel a perfect "conservative" round could net a 48 which is a fantastic score playing aggressively.

Highlights:
Hole one: I threw a nice anhyzer on this 390' par 3 with Ol' Blue. I ended up 70' short in the middle and Little Magic hit the jumper. Boom! Feeling good.

Hole two: Star TL3 to the bottom of the hill in the middle; let's throw it in. I didn't. I hit a left side tree leaving a 50' uphill putt. I'm cursing myself for getting a deuce on one and squandering it on hole two. Little Magic cashes to save a three.

Hole 7: Forehand Star TL3 on the inside gap to the landing zone. Backhand Star Mako3 to 15' and Red cashed the putt.

Hole 11: Forehand Champion TL3 to 30' right and a nice putt.

I may play Limestone Ledges tomorrow. Long course on Lower Forest and short course in Upper Meadows. I may also renew my PDGA membership and play the Shenandoah Shag in November. If I can make my putts and play this "conservative game" I could have a pretty good chance.

So Bean and I made it out to Limestone Ledges on Monday. It turns out the Apple Valley tour is stopping there on Saturday. I decided to play the tournament layout: Lower Forest white tees to B pins and Upper Meadows blue tees to B pins. I was still taking it easy on my shoulder so I didn't throw any max power drives.

Lower Forest:
3,3,3,3,2,2,3,3,2,2,2,3,2,3,2,2,3,3=46

Upper Meadows:
2,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,2,3,3,3,3,3,3=52

I ended up renewing my PDGA membership and signe up for the Limestone Ledges Open. There were no MP40 players so I registered MPO. I took the right number of bogies on Monday but I'm going to need more birdies especially on the Upper Meadows if I want a chance at the win. I'd really like to put up a 43 on LF and a 47 on UM. I don't think that will win but I would be satisfied with that result.

The weather should be gorgeous so it should be a fun day. I'm planning on getting a Lucid Criminal back to DCinmd. I also have a 150g DX shark to give to Zach Shiley. It matches the 150g DX aviar I gave him this spring.

This will be my first PDGA tournament in a year and a half.

I played the Limestone Ledges Open today. Bean is not a PDGA member and a terrible caddy so he had to stay home.

I started the day doing everything right and feeling good. My drives were true and my putt was connecting. I was six under par after eight holes and had a share of the lead. Then my lower back cramped and I lost all the looseness that I began with. The subsequent 12 holes resulted in nine pars and three bogeys. I should have resigned from the tournament at lunch break but it was 80 degrees and perfect weather this late in October. I played the second round and shot (probably) my worst sanctioned round of my career. Physical decline with age sucks.

Today's lesson:
Listen to your body because your mind is a freaking idiot!

I was shocked when I saw those round 2 scores from you and Zach. Sorry to hear about it, back issues can be truly debilitating. Make sure to get some good mobility work in and take it easy for while. Disc golf is hard on the ol back, mine doesn't feel great after this weekend.

Latest posts