• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] The Reptilian Disc Golf Thread

"Has anyone thrown the most recent Amber run? I'm curious is they are flatter?"

I will throw the recent amber once my order gets here. I will compare it to a fossil and tarpit. I definitely do not have the power you do, but should be able to give you a comparison stability wise… @moose33

Thanks! Some of the recent ones I have gotten are great but have a bit of dome, looking for a couple more of the flatter premium ones.

Thanks! Some of the recent ones I have gotten are great but have a bit of dome, looking for a couple more of the flatter premium ones.

I believe I have one from the most recent run (most recent upload for sure). they are on the domier side. Great shot shapers but not rippers like my older flat armor is. I passed on a few backups to that armor when I was just cycling fossils and kinda regret it, but I do love the current runs feel. Especially backhand.

Newer run Amber have some dome. Nothing major but they're not board flat.

The "domey" Amber fly like Beefy, faster Rancho Rocs. Great glide, never turn over but can be great for an extra dose of float when forced over. My Go To Mid shot is an intentional smidge of anny to get a pushing flight then a moderate reliable fade back to relative straight finish. Great for 270-300 ft deadly control lines.

We can always make more flat Gilas but I would argue it flies better with a small bit of dome. My flat Armors were kinda laser beam flight with no glide and a chunky finish. Still love them, just not my preference.

But the Fossil and Tar Pit are dead flat and fly amazing. So... In short, I'd bet we have a few flat ones kicking around that we could put on the site I know I have a few in my basement that could use some air time.

Newer run Amber have some dome. Nothing major but they're not board flat.

The "domey" Amber fly like Beefy, faster Rancho Rocs. Great glide, never turn over but can be great for an extra dose of float when forced over. My Go To Mid shot is an intentional smidge of anny to get a pushing flight then a moderate reliable fade back to relative straight finish. Great for 270-300 ft deadly control lines.

We can always make more flat Gilas but I would argue it flies better with a small bit of dome. My flat Armors were kinda laser beam flight with no glide and a chunky finish. Still love them, just not my preference.

But the Fossil and Tar Pit are dead flat and fly amazing. So... In short, I'd bet we have a few flat ones kicking around that we could put on the site I know I have a few in my basement that could use some air time.

I personally bag an old flat Amber and a glow currently but do like the newer domey ones. I have a beautiful purple one I'm starting to work in.

A buddy felt my flat one and was jealous, so I was trying to see which ones in the premium lines were flatter for his preference.

Gila Talk(and iguana talk cause its hard to not talk iguana when talking gila
I either am bagging my Flat Armor and a semi worn glow and a pair of iguana; or I am bagging the "domey" amber and a single iguana.

The domey amber is definitely out of the box the best all around gila. The slightly better wind fighting, forehand ripping flat ones need paired with something more beat in for later fades and slower flexes.

It's always in the back of my mind that I could just go back to cycling Fossil/Tarpit/Glows as a fresh fossil is pretty similar to my flat amber and I love some beat mids. Maybe after some base iguana I will mess with a cycle again.

Chameleon talk

In related news, I am really enjoying my tarpit chameleons. They are flying 9, 3 or 4, -0.5, 2.5. A lot like a faster tyrant with a little less bite. Still more bite than my other Chameleons. I am surprised that distance wise they are keeping up with my broken in armor well. I put both inside the circle on a tricky L>R cross wind downhill shot yesterday. The armor was a little more finesse and took a little skip to get there. The Tarpit was a tighter more controlled line, and of course stuck like glue. Even after a dozen tee shots on a rough mountain course they aren't showing too much wear yet. I am getting very confident and clean releases on them, even better than my beloved Nylons.

Just missed a Gila ace tonight, it got a perfect skip and hit the front of the cage. Got a couple of birds of par 4s thanks to longer upshot's with the Gila as well, the combo of Glow and Amber has gotten super comfortable for me.

Got to mess around with the Tarpit Chameleon some, and I am very curious about this one. It's beefier than other Chameleons and a bit flatter. Very curious to see how it beats in!

Got to mess around with the Tarpit Chameleon some, and I am very curious about this one. It's beefier than other Chameleons and a bit flatter. Very curious to see how it beats in!

I have been using mine quite a bit. Still a notch more stable than my Nylons. They seem to have gained a touch of glide though. They flew like faster tyrants to begin with. Now with a touch of added glide just beefy chameleons.

I also have been rocking Amber and Glow Gila. They pair so nice. The glow gila is still fading harder than my fresh proto iguana but they are covering some shots. It gives me the option of hyzer/flat or flat/anny out of the hand and similar flights. Handy in the wind and still covering different roles.

Hey there dudes. If anyone is wondering, these new Superglow Fossil Scales they have in stock are some of the nicest discs I have felt. They are absolutely great. I just bought two and I'm about to buy 4 more. This run is straight cash money. Low flight plate, velvet grip, stiff integrity.

I have been throwing a stack of serpents (mostly 2nd runs?[bone hard fossil plastic; basket stamp, a black fossil fuel]) serpents alongside a proto stego as my PNA setup for a couple years
Just got stacks of the new tarpit and armor serpys on the way!!

Just got my hands on one of the newer chain snake fossils and idk if I like it yet. It is kinda waxy velvety instead of bone velvety.
I only saw a few brief mentions about gateway having a new molding machine that is hitting their plastic recipes differently, but how are these beating in? Kinda reminds me of dynamic's prime plastic, but also a prototype g-25 plastic Lizard wizard(well, the squirtle vs charmander stamp) and a velvet dust tire kinda plastic x-out wizard I have.

Is this the new norm for fossil or is it still getting dialed-in on the new machine?

I'd be interested in hard fossil serpents, but I would also kinda like to switch from throwing my Old discmania FDs to pteros.
I'd buy a stack of pteros in amber, metal flake amber, and fossil fuel if you got a bunch molded up (preferably) watermelon red or pink

The August Gateway Premier box will be featuring Reptilian DG. Looks like the discs pictured in the banner ad are some iguanas.

I have been throwing a stack of serpents (mostly 2nd runs?[bone hard fossil plastic; basket stamp, a black fossil fuel]) serpents alongside a proto stego as my PNA setup for a couple years
Just got stacks of the new tarpit and armor serpys on the way!!

Just got my hands on one of the newer chain snake fossils and idk if I like it yet. It is kinda waxy velvety instead of bone velvety.
I only saw a few brief mentions about gateway having a new molding machine that is hitting their plastic recipes differently, but how are these beating in? Kinda reminds me of dynamic's prime plastic, but also a prototype g-25 plastic Lizard wizard(well, the squirtle vs charmander stamp) and a velvet dust tire kinda plastic x-out wizard I have.

Is this the new norm for fossil or is it still getting dialed-in on the new machine?

I'd be interested in hard fossil serpents, but I would also kinda like to switch from throwing my Old discmania FDs to pteros.
I'd buy a stack of pteros in amber, metal flake amber, and fossil fuel if you got a bunch molded up (preferably) watermelon red or pink

I think they only did black Fuels during the first run. New Fossils are beating in just like the older Fossils (protos and 1st runs) for me, and feel about the same once they've got some dirt rubbed in/new knocked off.

Y'all tried the glow Scales yet? That might be the Ultimate Scale. Super tight flat top, and pretty Os but a little less than the Armor one I have.

What is the status of the Ptero and the daredevil partnership?
Would It be possible to see fossil/tarpit/glow pteros or does the mold stay with daredevil and they just send discs to get stamped?

What is the status of the Ptero and the daredevil partnership?
Would It be possible to see fossil/tarpit/glow pteros or does the mold stay with daredevil and they just send discs to get stamped?
Morning!

The Ptero/velociRAPTOR were molded at Daredevil.

Initially i ordered Blanks of what they had and then stamped them here in St Louis.

After we started selling a bunch, I asked Daredevil to run me white versions of our discs so we could dye them to accommodate more color preferences. This required me to order gallons of worm dye (a pretty hazardous material) and dip all of the discs. That was not a cost effective move... Lol.

Finally I was able to get Daredevil to run me a few more colors they had in house (still no pink though) but I was never able to get a Fossil-like plastic produced.

So long story short... I'd bet we don't run more Ptero/Raptor. We have more control of our Gateway molded discs and they are working very hard to keep our stuff in stock.

Latest posts