• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

1 Disc throwers Vs those carrying the bag

Midnightbiker

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I remember once seeing a group of guys all carrying 1 disc, and I remember hearing them talking crap about why anyone would carry more than one disc, and guys who carry a bag full of discs are losers. I just ignored them, but has anyone else encountered this?

I don't care what anyone carries. I will play with anyone, but it seems sometimes it also goes the other way, and I have seen some guys with huge bags and quad straps looking down on guys who can't play that well. Just wondering about your thoughts.

Usually the people who are talking trash on the course are the same people littering or tagging the tee signs/baskets with sharpies...lame.

inversely people who look down on others for not being so good have probably lost why the sport is so great...FUN.

with anything though it's not quite as enjoyable to play when skill levels are way different.

my two cents

i admit when i was a noob i used to think carrying a bag was lame and couldnt see why ud need more than a couple discs but the more i played i got tired of having to put all my crap down and pick it back up. i think alot of that is just being young and thinking u know everything and worrying what other people think , i mean some of those bags look like purses (mine included)but as we get older we start not to care what other people think and we get over it. now i only think carrying a bag is lame when you have one of those super pro bags with the straps and 50+ discs and u suck, but thats just my opinion. as long as your having fun who gives a fu** what some d.b. thinks, challenge them to a round and if they beat u maybe they have a point.

I carry about 20 discs...and I usually have no problem with a guy with one disc. The only times I have ever run into problems are when the guy with one disc thinks he has to complete his round in under 15 minutes or it won't be a legitimate round. I am not a slow player by any means but I will look at my shot and decide what I want to do. Most one-disc players I have seen will fling the disc, pick it up and fling it again, and then miss a putt, drop in their 4, and sprint to the next tee.

It probably comes with being new to the sport as well, but I have found that these are the players most likely to tee off when you are standing clearly in the fairway.

It probably is just being a noob and that is no big deal, but if I see a kid coming with one disc (even a few holes behind me) I will find the next bench and just wait it out.

Whether it be because you think someone has too many discs or too few discs, we don't need to automatically look down on them. I don't look down on them but I am much more wary if they are behind me.

But to close, I would honestly say that I have never encountered a "one disc wonder" who could compete in a tourney against the guys in our area. There is probably somebody somewhere who can...I have just never seen one.

One disc guys usually have limited knowledge and experience in disc golf. People tend to ridicule what they don't understand. No big deal. I don't care too much what people think about us bag carrying guys. If they continue in the sport for long, they'll be toting a bag of discs soon enough...possibly after enough rounds of getting destroyed by the guy with all the discs.

I can understand cause I was a one discer not to long ago and some of the bags people carry around do look kind of duesch especially the fade bags. Although as I got more involved in the sport I realized I needed a bag to be competitive at the tourney level. I also think that some one those one discers don't even know there are tourneys and how different some discs fly. It's just ignorance and something we have to deal with time to time.

I carry a full bag and play like crap. I get a lot of "nice drive, Mr. Pro" or "way to show us how it's done" comments from CF's when I make a bad shot. No big deal. If it somehow makes them feel better about themselves that I suck at disc golf, that's fine. Most of the people who make these comments are kids, and they are supposed to be stupid.

There are people I have met that try to make disc golf some sort of "outlaw" sport. The kind of sport where you don't listen to what anybody says. You throw what you want to throw and use the rules you want to play by. Most of these guys play with one or two discs and mock people who try to make disc golf a "conventional" sport with dumb thing like rules. The "bag players" represent everything they DON'T want disc golf to become, so they get hostile from time to time. It just sort of goes with the territory. Usually these kind of players stick to pitch and putt courses, so you can usually avoid them simply by choosing to play more difficult courses.

When i learned the game we would call "the bag boys" the slow players and hated getting behind them. I played for years with just a teebird, and now i have a innova comp bag. When i play for fun i will have around ten to fifteen disc, during a tourny i will get it down to seven. I like the big bag with the quads for the comfort and room for towels. A dog bowl and some water. Its a matter of what your trying to accomplish, never seen a one disc wonder in a tourny cause they areant trying to compete like that they just want to go out and rip a few down the fairway. If you want to start learning new throws and get better you gotta have a few extras to try new things.

I started playing just a few weeks ago, and couldn't understand the need for SO many different models and weights. Now, after just a few weeks of playing, I have a bag with about 15 discs of different weights and characteristics. My friends laugh at me and ask how many I actuaully use. My response is, "most of them", even though I can't really throw any of them proficiently. I do have a couple of duplicates of my favorite discs in case I lose them.

I have to agree with the point that you see most of the "1 disc wonders" on the pitch and putt courses. We have a pitch and putt course that I don't even play anymore because its full of 1 disc players, and they usually play in huge groups and don't let you play through. 6 miles away there is a much harder course that charges $3 to play and I have never see anyone with out a bag out there. Plus, that course is never crowded.

I use to scoff at the "baggers" a little bit, mostly because some of them wouldn't let me play through. I carry a (book)bag just to have some place for my keys and phone etc, keep out of my pockets. I guarantee you that if some of the one disc frat boys get behind you and you pull out some bug spray out of your bag for him to fight his cloud of mosquitoes he'll change his tune.

I have played with one guy who played with one disc. It was a dx beast and he threw tomohawks the whole time. Embarassingly enough he beat me by four strokes! The guy wasn't a very good putter but he could throw a tomohawk 400 feet. I thought it was unreal how it seemed to always go where he wanted it to go and how far he threw it. He played baseball for his college team and told me anyone that played baseball could probably throw it that far!

I have mentioned this before. At a tournament last year, we had a first time tournament player show up with 4 discs (no bag) and a bottle of water, and got the best score out of 72 players . He did that in both rounds. We all were shocked. I wouldn't have believed it myself, but he was in my group for both rounds and I witnessed it first hand. The guy was amazing.

I have played with one guy who played with one disc. It was a dx beast and he threw tomohawks the whole time. Embarassingly enough he beat me by four strokes! The guy wasn't a very good putter but he could throw a tomohawk 400 feet. I thought it was unreal how it seemed to always go where he wanted it to go and how far he threw it. He played baseball for his college team and told me anyone that played baseball could probably throw it that far!

Naw... I played baseball and can hit 250-300 but no way 400. That is killer long.

I haven't run into the bias about bags or 1 disc. As long as we are playing and having fun I don't care if you have 1 or 100. I think all players should respect each other, the course, and the sport. I carry a bag and i like to play kind of fast. I am always willing to play with a newer player who is interested in the sport.

I haven't run into the bias about bags or 1 disc. As long as we are playing and having fun I don't care if you have 1 or 100. I think all players should respect each other, the course, and the sport. I carry a bag and i like to play kind of fast. I am always willing to play with a newer player who is interested in the sport.

I haven't really run into this issue much either. Most people around here carry bags. The one discers are definitely the minority.

The first time I played disc golf on an actual course, around 2002, I was a single discer. And it was a Traditional Whamo Frisbee. My best friend and I had played our own target disc golf game back in H.S. in the 80s. We just got together and went out onto a course.

When we saw the first group (a guy and a girl) with about a dozen discs each in a bag, we laughed... probably out loud. You know... "Why do you need all of those?" We said to ourselves. We didn't say anything at all to them. We just thought it was silly.

Now today was a perfect example of why I need a bunch of discs. It was extremely windy on the course and I don't play in the wind much. I only had two overstable drivers with me and no overstable midranges. I had one 175g driver and one 150g driver. It was just a practice round for me but I felt totally handicapped by only having my usual assortment of understable discs with me. I'm not a big thrower yet so most of my discs are stable to understable. The 175g overstable disc was definitely the best driver for me today... although it's usually not. The the 150g was just too light to hold the right line.

So I'm not laughing at big bags full of discs any more. But if you only want to carry one, that's fine too. I just need every advantage that I can get.

My friends need a bag just for all the beer they drink. I kept getting behind these 3 high schoolers last Sunday who had about 2 discs a piece and they threw both of them badly every drive instead of letting me play through. I didn't care much because the course was stacked anyway but I'm gonna keep some chloroform in my bag and gas people for not observing DG etiquette. :rolleyes:

I carry more discs than I use..... I have about 15 or 16 bagged but primarly use only three or four...... I let others new to the game use a couple if they don't have any etc...... some of my buds only have a couple of disc so they don't need a bag...... I'll play with anyone.... bag or no bag......