• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] 10 longest driver molds (for me)

1. 166g STAR Shryke
2. 150g Starlite Boss
3. 150g Champ Mamba
4. 162g Champ Tern
5. 144g Starlite Wraith
6. 162g Westside Tournament Destiny

These are currently in the bag. Used for crushing backhand throws consistantly to 325 and sometimes beyond.

I need a little lighter disc for my 60 year old arm speed !!

Mambas are shockingly long. Really flippy and wild, but long. The Mystere is too.

I've had poor luck with starlite discs. I'll get the occasional 450' bomb with them, followed by a ton of roll overs. Unless I have a good tailwind I won't even mess with blizzard or starlite.

1 Star Shryke
2 S Pharoah/Champ Shryke
3 Opto Ballista
4 Opto Raketen
5 Star Tern
6 Champ Tern
7 G* Destroyer
8 Pro Destroyer
9 Star Destroyer
10 Star Vulcan

All 3, but the Shryke I bag is a G*. I've found that champ Shrykes are the shortest, but they're still pretty damn long.

G*s are flat out unbelievable.

Thanks, I'll give one a shot. The Star I have is a little squirrely to make the bag, but I like how they feel and fly!

My longest disc is a Starlite Boss, but it's so flippy and inconsistent that I don't bag it.

Next would be the I-blend Pharaoh/Pro Shryke and lighter weight Terns.

G* Colossus has net me some of the biggest drives, but again. If you put too much mustard on the throw, it will soar to the right and never come back. Pure distance vs controllable golf line distance are two very different categories. The crank for my arm speed is perfect for control. The Colossus, shryke, and nuke ss have the biggest distance potential that i have tried yet.

1 Star Shryke
2 S Pharoah/Champ Shryke
3 Opto Ballista
4 Opto Raketen
5 Star Tern
6 Champ Tern
7 G* Destroyer
8 Pro Destroyer
9 Star Destroyer
10 Star Vulcan

Good list. I totally forgot about the Vulcan. I should have made room in my top 10 for that one. Really a long bomber. A good Vulcan might even be enough to grab a top 3 spot.

G* Colossus has net me some of the biggest drives, but again. If you put too much mustard on the throw, it will soar to the right and never come back. Pure distance vs controllable golf line distance are two very different categories. The crank for my arm speed is perfect for control. The Colossus, shryke, and nuke ss have the biggest distance potential that i have tried yet.

I agree on the Colossus. Very long mold, but a little finicky. If you throw it with the wrong angle or too hard the disc will turn and burn pretty hard. Not a lot of hard late fade to bring it back either.

Nuke SS is ridiculously long, but very hard to control. Its another disc that has a very fine window of effectiveness. If you overthrow it even a hair it bombs right. I tried to bag a Nuke SS at one point, but I had to pull it out after way too many flipped drives. It is fully capable of 450' lasers though.

I just don't think the high speed flippy drivers are worth it in the long run / everyday use. Sometimes they may give you a birdie look on a hole you can't normally reach... but more than half the time they go haywire into OB or cut roll short and you end up taking bogey. Unless you have been working with that Disc and the angles for a long time and have it dialed. Throw some wind in there and it all goes out the window.

I just don't think the high speed flippy drivers are worth it in the long run / everyday use. Sometimes they may give you a birdie look on a hole you can't normally reach... but more than half the time they go haywire into OB or cut roll short and you end up taking bogey. Unless you have been working with that Disc and the angles for a long time and have it dialed. Throw some wind in there and it all goes out the window.

I agree. Of the discs I listed, I only bag the Shryke. I don't use it a ton, but it still gets some action on long, open holes if there isn't a headwind.

I'm fully willing to give up the extra distance all those discs provide and throw a controlled Destroyer or Boss shot on most holes.

I do enjoy playing with all those understable discs in the field though. Working on release angles for hyzerflip bombs. You're right that when the wind blows accuracy/consistency go away with any flippy molds.

Back in my less informed days I took many a bogey from throwing horrible shots with understable discs thinking I'd just bomb them on every hole and reach the basket.

Starlite plastic is fine when new and goes downhill fast with use. I replace them when they get flippy and unpredictable.

The only good starlite disc I've seen/thrown was a Tern, 158g. Despite being so light it actually held a line well and bombed. Wasn't super flippy.

I've thrown a couple starlite Bosses that were pure junk. Super flippy no matter how much I hyzered them.

I don't like the plastic. It seems to have a rough texture and feels like its made from compressed styrofoam. Junky stuff. Innova should charge less for starlite and blizzard than they do. IMO they're subpar products.

Good list. I totally forgot about the Vulcan. I should have made room in my top 10 for that one. Really a long bomber. A good Vulcan might even be enough to grab a top 3 spot.

Yeah, after the top 3 I kinda just threw them on there. G*Colossuses bomb as well, completely forgot about them, and Trespasses (both of which I've thrown over 400').

Little do we know OP has never thrown a disc and this is all "a matter of opinion"

As for the Nuke, I actually bag a Z. Its a long disc, but not as long (for me) as anything I listed. Nukes don't quite hold the S curve as long. They fade out a little too soon.

I've had several Z Nukes that fly like you describe but my favorite is a well seasoned Z nuke that bombs a nice s curve but gets a little squirrely much over 400'+ power if I try to push for max D. It'll go 450' if I hit the angle just right but the turn is much more abrupt at full power.

Seasoned Nukes in ESP can be big time bombers. I've got a near beat first run esp with a decent dome and a moderately domed "sweet spot" production run that both turn and glide well over 450'+ on a good hit. ESP wears quicker than star so I have a few more ESP Nukes that I can't give enough hyzer to keep them from going throwler except in the biggest tailwinds.

(for me) and never in big winds:
1. Pinnacle Rampage; tight s curves with forward fade over 450'
2. Gold Line Ballista; go to tailwind/hyzer flipper
3. ESP Nuke; similar to Rampage above
4. Icon Cannon
5. C-DD2
6. Champ Katana
7. Lucid Sherriff; proto version with more HSS
8. Star Vulcan
9. Quantum Quasar
10. Lucid Captain; Icon Aftermath; Opto Bolt (massive tailwinds and lots of room to work)

Last edited:
I've had several Z Nukes that fly like you describe but my favorite is a well seasoned Z nuke that bombs a nice s curve but gets a little squirrely much over 400'+ power if I try to push for max D. It'll go 450' if I hit the angle just right but the turn is much more abrupt at full power.

Seasoned Nukes in ESP can be big time bombers. I've got a near beat first run esp with a decent dome and a moderately domed "sweet spot" production run that both turn and glide well over 450'+ on a good hit. ESP wears quicker than star so I have a few more ESP Nukes that I can't give enough hyzer to keep them from going throwler except in the biggest tailwinds.

(for me) and never in big winds:
1. Pinnacle Rampage; tight s curves with forward fade over 450'
2. Gold Line Ballista; go to tailwind/hyzer flipper
3. ESP Nuke; similar to Rampage above
4. Icon Cannon
5. C-DD2
6. Champ Katana
7. Lucid Sherriff; proto version with more HSS
8. Star Vulcan
9. Quantum Quasar
10. Lucid Captain; Icon Aftermath; Opto Bolt (massive tailwinds and lots of room to work)

I agree about ESP Nukes. I've thrown a couple beat ones, and they will BOMB. They lose some HSS and get almost flippy. The Z Nuke I use more on the course than for open field "show bombs". I love my Nuke. I know what it'll do when I throw it. Hard rips will have some turn, but I know it'll come back late in flight. I can go over 400' with the Nuke, but I still don't quite put it in the upper echelon of sheer distance discs.

The Rampage and Cannon are both bombers, but I haven't really thrown either of them enough to get a good feel for them. Captains are nice, but for whatever reason I get slightly better rips on Sheriffs. The Sheriff and Captain are very similar. I don't think anyone would ever need to bag both.

Katana is underrated. The last few champions I've thrown have all been huge bombers. I'm liking that mold more lately after not really liking it for years.

Last edited:
I agree about ESP Nukes. I've thrown a couple beat ones, and they will BOMB. They lose some HSS and get almost flippy. The Z Nuke I use more on the course than for open field "show bombs". I love my Nuke. I know what it'll do when I throw it. Hard rips will have some turn, but I know it'll come back late in flight. I can go over 400' with the Nuke, but I still don't quite put it in the upper echelon of sheer distance discs.

The Rampage and Cannon are both bombers, but I haven't really thrown either of them enough to get a good feel for them. Captains are nice, but for whatever reason I get slightly better rips on Sheriffs. The Sheriff and Captain are very similar. I don't think anyone would ever need to bag both.

Katana is underrated. The last few champions I've thrown have all been huge bombers. I'm liking that mold more lately after not really liking it for years.

I wonder how much your elevation is driving your picks. My first thought from your list was that you might not be throwing as far. My guess now is that I couldn't bend over far enough to put enough hyzer on a Tern to keep it from going cut roller in Memphis but at altitude I may not be able to get a seasoned Nuke to stretch out its turn for big D. I've got a fresh Pinnacle Rampage in the bag and fresh ESP Nuke both will hold a hyzer to 400' like you describe that I can't turn without a 10mph+ headwind, and as we all know this list ain't for headwinds or noobs.

After dropping warp speeders for three years, gimme the wide rimmed stuff for max D, and straightening out a seasoned Rampage or Nuke means 425-475', an easy 10% over my Outlaws. I prefer the Rampage because getting it up to speed can be done without losing a lot of power to lateral movement and Legacy's plastic is awesome.

I wonder how much your elevation is driving your picks. My first thought from your list was that you might not be throwing as far. My guess now is that I couldn't bend over far enough to put enough hyzer on a Tern to keep it from going cut roller in Memphis but at altitude I may not be able to get a seasoned Nuke to stretch out its turn for big D. I've got a fresh Pinnacle Rampage in the bag and fresh ESP Nuke both will hold a hyzer to 400' like you describe that I can't turn without a 10mph+ headwind, and as we all know this list ain't for headwinds or noobs.

After dropping warp speeders for three years, gimme the wide rimmed stuff for max D, and straightening out a seasoned Rampage or Nuke means 425-475', an easy 10% over my Outlaws. I prefer the Rampage because getting it up to speed can be done without losing a lot of power to lateral movement and Legacy's plastic is awesome.

I honestly don't know. I've never thrown a disc at sea level. Everything I throw is in CO, just over a mile high. Terns can be iffy. I can obviously flip them, but most times they'll actually hold a line if I put a little hyzer on them.

I agree on the wide rimmed drivers being the longest bombers. It almost doesn't even seem fair these days, that when I started playing, the fastest driver available was speed 10. Orc, Beast, Starfire, Flash. Those were the bombers. Now I can flick a Tern 40' further than all of those with ease.

A lot of the drivers on my list are flippier than I'd use on the course for day to day play. They're discs I can flex out for huge distance on big S curves. Accuracy isn't really taken into account.

Latest posts