• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] 10 longest driver molds (for me)

If you guys have not tried the I blend Emperors yet, these things bomb. It's got Destroyer numbers, but flies a lot like a Sheriff. I can throw it flat and hard and it turns and floats and then fades back in a sweeping fade. The I beats in a bit but feels better than the old pro I remember. Almost like the mixed pro and Star together.

Really think the Shryke is the disc they wanted the Freedom to be. I haven't thrown a Captain yet, but have heard that could be their answer.

Personally I get that flight out of a Sheriff, but I've heard for the under 350 crowd it flies very overstable.

I tried the Sheriff and liked it. It was a bit more stable for me relative to those with faster armspeeds, but I got good distance out of it and it was not Destroyer-ish overstable for me.

The Trespass is also a good disc for me. It has the same numbers as a Destroyer (12,5,-1,3) but DD lied with those numbers, as the Trespass is not as OS as the Destroyer.

I might try an Emperor when I make my next Infinite order. I do like I-blend discs, and if the I-blend Emperor is like a Sheriff, it might be something I'd want to try.

Really think the Shryke is the disc they wanted the Freedom to be. I haven't thrown a Captain yet, but have heard that could be their answer.

Personally I get that flight out of a Sheriff, but I've heard for the under 350 crowd it flies very overstable.

Yeah, the Freedom is (IMO) a dud. Like I mentioned earlier, it has no real "perfect zone" for ideal flight. If you don't throw it hard enough, the disc stalls. If you throw it even an iota too hard it rolls over hard. The only way I can make a Freedom fly 400' is to throw it from a really steep hyzer angle and hope I get it somewhere near flat. It can be done, but sheesh, what a chore. Stuff like Terns and Shrykes will outfly the Freedom easily, with way less headache. Much easier to hyzerflip either of them and they aren't NEARLY as angle sensitive on hyzer releases.

I've thrown 2 Captains, and I dug both of them. They have some noticeable high speed turn, but they also have enough late fade to fight back to center if you turn them over. The Captain actually seems to have accurate flight numbers. Its a tad flippier than a Sheriff, but not NEARLY as flippy as a Freedom. Thrown with a slight hyzerflip I can get the Captain over 400' pretty regularly. I'd say they're just a hair flippier than a Shryke, very much like a speed 13 Tern.

I'm a tad hit or miss on Sheriffs. I've found them to be all over the place on stability. Everything from wildly flippy, to stubbornly glideless and beefy. MOST Sheriffs I've thrown seem to resemble a Shryke, but have a hair less glide. All things considered, I think the Shryke is a better mold overall, and far more consistent from disc to disc. I've thrown about 10 Sheriffs and probably 15 Shrykes. Way less variance in the Shrykes than the Sheriffs. If we're talking sheer distance I'd take a star Shryke over any Sheriff I've ever thrown. That extra bit of glide really makes the difference there. Sheriffs have a little harder late fade than a Shryke too.

As for Trespasses, also very mixed reviews. I've thrown probably 15 of them, from VERY understable, to fairly beefy/overstable. Most Trespasses are fairly pleasant and respond well to power. They'll turn noticeably and then fade fairly hard late in flight. The "flippy Destroyer" analogy works most of the time. Some Trespasses are simply too flippy to do much of anything with. I hate those ones. A perfect Trespass is a thing of beauty though, and a very viable driver. They're long, and they'll hang with most drivers on the market. I'd say a Trespass is a like a Sheriff, but simply a speed slower.

Last edited:
Used to be D2/D3s, Nukes, Sorcerers, Wraiths, Terns, ect. Then, after back surgery and aging, I'm down to lower speed drivers. Pretty much all my distance drives are PDs and TDs these days. Went from ~400' to ~350'. I'm okay with it. Can't fight time.

Im not sure your age ,but im 36 (feels old lol) with 3 back surgeries and im still getting over 400 with octanes and mayhems. More consistently than i was pre-surgeries. Im spasming in pain after long rounds but i keep pushing.

Really trying to focus on working out. Yoga, core work, cleaning up my diet.

And yes, you can fight time. You wont win, but you can at least get a few good shots in. Imo

Some Trespasses are simply too flippy to do much of anything with. I hate those ones. A perfect Trespass is a thing of beauty though, and a very viable driver. They're long, and they'll hang with most drivers on the market. I'd say a Trespass is a like a Sheriff, but simply a speed slower.

Your 'flippy' Trespasses are probably right in my wheelhouse. So just send them to me and I'll exercise 'em frequently. :)

Not the longest but the shortest was a Daedalus I found , hearing it was easy distance by Dave D. and others It was a big meat hook of a disc. No glide what so ever. No I don't have a big arm at 65. This disc in champ , weight unknown is a big worthless giant turd of a disc. Nice looking disc though.

I've recently been bagging Terns again after kicking them out for a year in favor of Shrykes. Terns are a lot more controllable and accurate in tight spaces, and they feel perfect in my hand. I won't make that mistake again. I love how predictable Terns are; even when beaten in they maintain some LSS. I can get more distance with a Shryke on open holes, but I've never been able to throw them as accurately as my Terns.

Not the longest but the shortest was a Daedalus I found , hearing it was easy distance by Dave D. and others It was a big meat hook of a disc. No glide what so ever. No I don't have a big arm at 65. This disc in champ , weight unknown is a big worthless giant turd of a disc. Nice looking disc though.

Yeah Dave said he has 350-390 foot distance and he says that the Daedalus allows him to "keep up" with his buddy that throws 500 feet. Bull ****.
He says this in this video.
https://youtu.be/E5dIzNa7o4w

The Daedalus is a bit of a mysterious mold. I've thrown about 10 of them in champion, star, and G*. They run the whole gamut from super flippy to fairly glideless and beefy. Not a really consistent mold. I feel like the Shryke obsoleted the Daedalus when it came out. The Shryke has the same general flight characteristics, but does them all better.

The best Daedaluses I've seen have been domey. The flat ones are stubborn and don't glide well.

Yeah Dave said he has 350-390 foot distance and he says that the Daedalus allows him to "keep up" with his buddy that throws 500 feet. Bull ****.

A Daedalus will NOT suddenly add 100' to someone's drives. The first couple I tried were disappointing. With the Daedalus you need some dome. The mold in general isn't very domey, so finding domey ones isn't that easy.

I feel that the Tern and Shryke both blow the Daedalus away. That said, I've actually thrown a couple (rare) Daedaluses that will bomb with anything out there. I reiterate that they are rare. Most Daedaluses are very ordinary drivers. It definitely isn't the first mold I'd pick to throw long bombs with.

I throw almost exclusively at sea level.

1. Proton Catalyst - When it glides with the wind it goes farther than anything else I've thrown. I don't bag it because it's not much use in anything but a tail wind. It's too glidey for me to feel comfortable with controlling where it lands. Can get it out close to 500 but I'm never really sure how far left or right it'll be. Not worth the risk but man does it go.
2. D3 - My favorite long bomber. The new 750G D3s go a long way right out of the box and I expect them to add another 40-50 feet as they start to season. I figure if I put in a little time throwing them they'll be going out to around 450. The 400G D3s that I have are reliably long.
3. D2 - Really controlled long flight that doesn't fade as hard as a Destroyer. I've got some that'll turn and ride quite a while before it hooks up.
4. D1 - Broken in 400G and the new 750G D1s are great for a long really controlled flight. Consistent 400 foot drives, pinpoint accuracy.
5. Neutron Dimension - I found one at Christmas on vacation and gave it a few throws. Holy Cow! It explodes out of the hand and travels down range as fast as anything else I've thrown. Forehand and backhand this thing accelerates and doesn't want to stop. I really don't need another distance drive mold. But wow. You have to get it up to speed but if you slam it you'll be rewarded.

I don't throw really far but then most courses I play really don't reward 450+ drives. If I push over a D3 on a high line they'll go a long way but the lines really aren't there for that shot anywhere.

I usually stick with one manufacturer so it would be hard to make a top 10. That being said, i recently started throwing mvp/axiom. Its incredible how far their drivers go. The Octane/Mayhem/Catalyst are all insanely long. Especially the Catalyst....WOW. I dont like the rim feel or the sensitivity of it in the wind, but it BOMBS.

I have had several ppl run out and buy a octane/mayhem/catalyst after they seen me throw it. I still dont believe that its ME throwing. Never thrown so far in my life. I instantly started outdriving my friend by 50-70ft. We were equals before.

Not picking on the Daedalus, but a few years back it was 'the thing' to say that discs would add a lot of distance and be 'easy distance', etc. DD (Dynamic Discs) said it about the Freedom, and DD (Dave Dunipace) said it in your example above. Obviously not the case.

As to the Daedalus, I got a barely used Star Daedalus at a price too good to pass up. I think it was 175g. I remember it being okay but nothing exceptional. Never really was picked up by the pros, never caught on amongst the proletarian DG masses...

I usually stick with one manufacturer so it would be hard to make a top 10. That being said, i recently started throwing mvp/axiom. Its incredible how far their drivers go. The Octane/Mayhem/Catalyst are all insanely long. Especially the Catalyst....WOW. I dont like the rim feel or the sensitivity of it in the wind, but it BOMBS.

I have had several ppl run out and buy a octane/mayhem/catalyst after they seen me throw it. I still dont believe that its ME throwing. Never thrown so far in my life. I instantly started outdriving my friend by 50-70ft. We were equals before.

The Wave, Inertia, and Impulse were like that for me, especially the Wave. Not especially glidey, but I was getting good distance even in higher weights.

I guess Gyro really is real. ;)

I have 1 Catalyst and love it. That disc absolutely bombs.

I've thrown 3 or 4 Octanes and never had quite as great of luck with them. I mean, they go far, but they aren't cracking my top 10 list. Same could be said for the Mayhem. That thing flew exactly like an Octane for me.

I've never thrown the Dimension.

I've had poor luck with the Wave. Thrown at least 4 of them. I find them to lack glide and be short. They're erratically flippy too. Its almost like someone tried to duplicate the Tern, but failed pretty bad. For that speed level I HAVE thrown the Vanish, and liked it a lot. Much easier to bomb than the Wave.

Not picking on the Daedalus, but a few years back it was 'the thing' to say that discs would add a lot of distance and be 'easy distance', etc. DD (Dynamic Discs) said it about the Freedom, and DD (Dave Dunipace) said it in your example above. Obviously not the case.

As to the Daedalus, I got a barely used Star Daedalus at a price too good to pass up. I think it was 175g. I remember it being okay but nothing exceptional. Never really was picked up by the pros, never caught on amongst the proletarian DG masses...

Like I said earlier, I'm hit or miss on the Daedalus. My favorite ones have been domey champions. Those things will bomb with anything on the market. A heavy, domey champ Daedalus has enough stability to not turn and burn on hard rips. They glide well and soar on majestic S curves.

The main problem with the Daedalus is that most of them tend to be flat. Finding a good, domey one can be difficult. I also don't much care for them in G* plastic. They're always really flat, flippy, and seem to lack glide.

I'd still rather have an average Daedalus over ANY Freedom though. The Daedalus is a much better disc overall, far easier to throw without totally flipping.

I can think of a few discs on the market today that are good for "easy distance", but the Daedalus and Freedom aren't. You actually have to put work in to make those ones fly.

Last edited:
I throw almost exclusively at sea level.

1. Proton Catalyst - When it glides with the wind it goes farther than anything else I've thrown. I don't bag it because it's not much use in anything but a tail wind. It's too glidey for me to feel comfortable with controlling where it lands. Can get it out close to 500 but I'm never really sure how far left or right it'll be. Not worth the risk but man does it go.
2. D3 - My favorite long bomber. The new 750G D3s go a long way right out of the box and I expect them to add another 40-50 feet as they start to season. I figure if I put in a little time throwing them they'll be going out to around 450. The 400G D3s that I have are reliably long.
3. D2 - Really controlled long flight that doesn't fade as hard as a Destroyer. I've got some that'll turn and ride quite a while before it hooks up.
4. D1 - Broken in 400G and the new 750G D1s are great for a long really controlled flight. Consistent 400 foot drives, pinpoint accuracy.
5. Neutron Dimension - I found one at Christmas on vacation and gave it a few throws. Holy Cow! It explodes out of the hand and travels down range as fast as anything else I've thrown. Forehand and backhand this thing accelerates and doesn't want to stop. I really don't need another distance drive mold. But wow. You have to get it up to speed but if you slam it you'll be rewarded.

I don't throw really far but then most courses I play really don't reward 450+ drives. If I push over a D3 on a high line they'll go a long way but the lines really aren't there for that shot anywhere.

D3s are VERY legit distance. I have a couple and they soar as far as anything I own. I'd compare them to star Shrykes. High speed turn and lots of glide.

D2 is a little beefier for me. Still long, but not quite like the D3.

Catalyst is an absolute masher. Its my favorite MVP disc easily.

The Wave, Inertia, and Impulse were like that for me, especially the Wave. Not especially glidey, but I was getting good distance even in higher weights.

I guess Gyro really is real. ;)

My friend has a wave and likes it for tailwind bombs only.
I just got to messing with inertias. So far the N 173g i have is a straight and long flyer. I think it will be perfect for the vultures im trying to replace. Flies like the FR Z flat Vultures i had.

I will take a peek at the impulse.

Gyro is def real but i still dont know if that translates to a "better" disc. Im finding it just "different" than non overmolds.

I would love to see more ppl with 500ft power throwing them.

Latest posts