• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

10KLDG - Minnesota Disc Golfers Unite

I'm hoping to play Afton this weekend. Maybe Saturday. Anybody play that? And did they mow the course yet? Its a T-Storm today so hopefully its not tall grass and bugs come this weekend

Ill just say good luck! It was like middle of the mowed/needs to be mowed when we played and made finding even good shots a bit tricky. Lost like 3 discs just not being able to find on the fairways and rough is ROUGH.

I'm hoping to play Afton this weekend. Maybe Saturday. Anybody play that? And did they mow the course yet? Its a T-Storm today so hopefully its not tall grass and bugs come this weekend

Played today and that place is dangerous when the mud and rocks are wet. I fell twice and my partner once. There were plenty of other times I could have fallen as well, especially some really dangerous places like Hole 17. I guess this is to be expected of a new course, but if this layout is to survive, something for walking, like stairs and or handrails are going to need to be put in. I used my Grip bag today, but only because I had that in the car versus my Delta Cart. When dry, the cart would have been fine, maybe even preferred because of the extra storage and the ability to sit. However, with the mud and loose rocks, it would have been too much of a burden.

Grass is still long enough to make discs difficult to spot unless you are within three feet of them. Despite seeing the baskets from almost every tee, having a spotter to help with the depth of the throw could speed things up. In general, just making sure you have a good eye on every throw could suffice enough.

The bugs were horrible, especially near the holes at the bottom of the hill. If you keep moving, we got away without actually having to spray, but it would not have been a bad idea though. I swallowed a few suicidial mosquitoes.

I shot course par, 58, but I could have cleaned that up to a 54 or so. The course is repetitive because almost every shot is through a tunnel at some point. As individual holes, several are great because most Minnesotan courses lack such elevation, but having so many of the same kind of hole subtracts from the overall experience. Front nine plays longer than the back nine and has three of the four par 4s. As a rhbh player, Hole 13 was the first and only time all round that I had to throw anything but a backhanded throw.

One of the best features is the loop that brings Hole 9 back up the clubhouse. I can be an ironman player if the circumstances are right, I played 29 hours during the Winter Carnival with minimal breaks, but being able to stop at the clubhouse was definitely a relief. I did not pack in any water, which was a huge mistake. Trudging through ankle-high grass that was wet on top of it being humid, especially when the sun broke through the clouds, on top of that with the up and down and up and down of the layout definitely had me exhausted. More often than not I do not have issues wearing my glasses, but I really should have worn my contacts today. I could not keep my glasses clean, dry, and defogged. I got to the point that I started throwing with my glasses off. Not a huge issue until it is time to putt. Having a quick breather at the clubhouse definitely helped reenergize us for the back nine.

Overall I give the course a B. For a casual round with friends, it is a great course. The elevation combined with some technicality is something most other courses do not have. This course is not like HSSA. It is closer to Giants Ridge if you have ever played that. For competitive tournament rounds, it should be fine for amateurs because enough will struggle with the tunnels to create scoring separation. However, pros who can routinely make such shots will find that their scores will not separate unless someone makes a heroic throw or does something catastrophically stupid. I would not be surprised if they made artificial OB during big tournaments to tighten up the course. Big arms (500+) have the ability to pick up two or three throws on those like me who top out at 400, but that is about it. If you can clear tunnel shots, almost everything is going to be routine. I could be proven wrong, but I bet most pros would score between 50 and 54. I honestly only made about three or four mistakes all round, and three of my four birdies were rather routine. Again, I carded a 58.

Ill just say good luck! It was like middle of the mowed/needs to be mowed when we played and made finding even good shots a bit tricky. Lost like 3 discs just not being able to find on the fairways and rough is ROUGH.

Thankfully we lost only one between the two of us. We both saw it land, but neither of us could find it. He did not care too much. Given time we would have found it. We did, however, find two unmarked discs.

Sounds about the same as our experience. The flies were on attack mode for some reason which really sucked!

It is not a bad course but i expect to update my review given how it improves or doesnt get upgraded.

Were either a theory/proxy by chance?

Last edited:
Sounds about the same as our experience. The flies were on attack mode for some reason which really sucked!

It is not a bad course but i expect to update my review given how it improves or doesnt get upgraded.

Were either a theory/proxy by chance?

Both DX Innova I think. One was an Aviar, I do not remember what the other was.

Join us at Surly Beer Hall for a five week putting league. Bring your putters, grab a pint of Surly, and have some fun! All skill levels welcome. League begins October 9th and runs through November 6th.

11:00am - 3:00pm, Sundays, 10/9-11/6

$25 registration for both Recreational and Advanced divisions

Players Pack:
1 custom stamped Gateway Warlock
1 custom stamped mini
5 Surly Beer Coupons
Surly swag

Prizes:
Recreational: 1st- Innova Skill Shot portable basket, 2nd- $50 Surly gift card, 3rd - $25 Surly gift card

Advanced: 1st- $100 Surly gift card, 2nd- $50 Surly gift card, 3rd-$25 Surly gift card

Random weekly prize giveaways

Link to event information and registration below:

https://www.zapevent.com/reg/event/11698

Hope to see you there!

Who? when? where?

Planning on 18 today for sure. Just not sure on anything else lol. Holler!

Drat, should have checked here instead of Facebook. I ended playing BRP at 10am. Not that the course was soft, but I carded an 80 and still thought I played like crap. For reference, I think my whole year has been crap, dropping my 935 rating (which I always thought was much lower than my ability) down to 905. Now I am downright embarrassed.

I went into Hole 25 -3 (for scoring playing everything as 3s) and proceeded to bogey 25 and 26 on stupidity and bad luck.

Aside for the new look Hole 1, almost everything else was in the short positions. That definitely saved three or four throws.

Anyone know the current BRP layout? Curious to try the hole 1 and 2 combined layout.

As of Saturday, most of the other holes were in the short position and it was not hard for me to score a 80 despite playing what I thought was just below "my game."

Hole 1 is going to take some getting used to. The gap that gets you from 1's old basket to 2's fairway is on the left side. It is a fair gap, but sitting at 310 or so feet, you do have to give it a little something to get there. The gap, however, slowly bends from left to right, so if you come up short and to the right, you are going to have all those tall pines in your way that still protect 1's old basket. In essence, it has turned the first shot into a long precision drive as the ideal landing spot is to the left of 1's old basket. It plays tremendously easier to lefties and forehanders. Open players will likely average around 3.5 on this hole, but I see most advance players hovering their average over 4 with intermediates and rec falling into 5s and 6s.

The rest of the course is in its normal layout but with many of them in their short positions.

With the possibility of other holes being combined, some you know about, some that are likely in the works, they do have the dinker pseudo-island just before the driving range available. It was not playing the day I was there, but the pad was in, signage up, and a clear ring in the grass where the basket would sit in the "island".

Anyone playing Albert Lea this week--Oak Island and/or Tall Grass? I'm up from the KC area and just looking for some camaraderie on the course. I'm gonna make it up there at least one day between now and Saturday for sure. Though no specific days/times planned yet.

I'm actually staying with family near Forest City, IA along I-35, and so the Forest City is always an option as well for those interested.

Latest posts