• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

13 disc bag limit...

Joggernaut

Ok so i am new to disc golf but am very familiar with the concept of minimal carry for strategic and tactical reasons. So i am surprised that disc golf has no
disc limit for tourney play. I would think that the disc companies would be totally behind this as it would place much greater importance on specific discs
as opposed to just carrying everything you own with you all the time. Having to agonizingly choose which disc is the last slot in your bag, or which mids you
really need.

Sooo... to the POINT!

Lets just say there is a theoretical limit to discs of 13 discs, what discs would you carry with you? What 13 discs, putters, mids, and drivers, would you carry?

I throw a lot of discraft so my list would be something like this...

Nuke OS
Nuke
Nuke SS
Crush
Stalker
Predator
Zombee
Drone
Wasp
Buzzz
Buzzz SS
Zone
Challenger

I don't even need 13 (don't really need all 12 that I listed either)
  1. CFR-PD
  2. S-PD
  3. P-PD
  4. Champ TeeBird
  5. Opto Diamond
  6. Gold Flying Squirrel
  7. Z Wasp
  8. C-MD2
  9. Glo Z Zone
  10. Opto Pure
  11. DX Polecat
  12. G9i Wizard

13 discs or 13 molds?

1. Firm Judge
2. Firm Judge
3. Bio Suspect
4. Opto Fuse
5. Lucid Truth
6. CFR Glo Gazelle
7. GL River
8. GL Saint
9. ESP Surge
10. Fuzion FR Trespass
11. Opto Stiletto
12. Opto Trident
13. Maybe a Fuzion Judge for driving.

1.Teebird
2.Teebird
3.Firebird
4.Firebird
5.Patriot
6.Patriot
7.Buzzz
8.Buzzz
9.Meteor
10.Zone
11.Anode
12.River

1. Nate Doss Esp Surge
2. Protostar Champion Tern
3. Titanium Wasp
4. Special Edition Z Drone
5.Champion Panther
6.Sp. Rogue
7.Esp Avenger SS
8. Champion Roadrunner
9. Star TL
10.5x Champion Valkyrie
11. Titanium Force
12. Z Predator
13. Super Soft Warlock

CPD
SPD
bio fuzion escape
Champ Eagle
Star Eagle
Pinnacle Rival
Icon Sparkle Patriot
Champ Panther
Sparkle champ Gator
Icon ghost
DX roc
Champ Cro
gravity clutch

Some have said that the limit should be 14 discs just like Golf(ball) has 14 clubs. I don't think we need to follow that sport as our sport is a lot different. If some guy thinks having 15 Destroyers in his bag helps him then good for him, one of the best local players in our area uses 2 sometimes 3 discs for an entire tournament and wins by 5-10 strokes.

I only use about 8-10 these days depending on the course.

Pro D Challenger x2
Star Wedge
Elite X Buzzz
Test Run Vision
Gold Line Vision
Elite X Avenger
Elite Z Avenger
Star Vulcan
Elite Z Nuke OS

I've just never seen any sport, game, or activity where you have the option of carrying everything with
you all the time for competition. For me it actually makes the game more fun, when I have to select what I want to bring with me. Plus like I said before it really makes disc versatility and selection more important. I would think the disc makers would be pushing this through the PDGA.

I've just never seen any sport, game, or activity where you have the option of carrying everything with
you all the time for competition. For me it actually makes the game more fun, when I have to select what I want to bring with me. Plus like I said before it really makes disc versatility and selection more important. I would think the disc makers would be pushing this through the PDGA.

Why would the Disc Companies push want to push that through? It makes more sense to have no limit so people have to buy more discs.

The difference of course, is that in ball golf you are not limited in the number of balls you can carry -- so, 14 clubs and as many balls as you can fit into your bag.

In disc golf, the disc is a combination of a club and ball; you know, a package.

sure but if disc space is limited then individual choice matters more. Nate Doss carries an XL with him. If he can carry 40 discs with him, then who cares, its just some junk he is schulping along. But if that disc is one of only 14 that he can carry then the XL is valued more. Sales go up. Discraft gets more biz and press.

Being limited on number of discs seems silly. I personally like to carry 25, yes that means more weight, which also means, I get tired easier where others who carry 9 don't. That's my burden, I can deal with it, I shouldn't be limited to a # of discs unless it's a general term such as, "No more than one person can carry, and will not slow down play too much."

AKA I couldn't carry a bag for me if my caddy is carrying one. Or, if I'm carrying my own bag, I am not deadlifting it every hole to get from lie to lie.

1. Ape
2. Teedevil
3. Sidewinder
4. Beast
5. Valkyrie
6. Teebird
7. Leopard
8. Obex
9. Buzzz
10. Mako3
11. Comet
12. S Wizard
13. SSS Wizard

1. Ion (medium)
2. Anode (medium)
3. Z Buzzz
4. FLX Buzzz
5. GL Pain
6. GL Trident
7. Star Gazelle
8. 11x Gazelle (light)
9. 11x Gazelle (heavy)
10. Glo Gazelle
11. Ion (soft)
12. Z Comet
13. DX Gazelle

That's really all I need... And is definitely more than I need.

X Nuke
Star Katana
Pro Katana
Star Firebird
Star Teebird (new)
Star Teebird (beat)
S-FD
Z Wasp
Z Buzzz
X Buzzz
ESP Zone
G9i Wizard
SS Wizard
z

Star Destroyer ×3
Champ Krait
Champ Firebird
Champ Banshee
Champ Teebird
Champ Leopard
DX Roc ×3
Champ Gator
KC Aviar

Last edited:
The difference of course, is that in ball golf you are not limited in the number of balls you can carry -- so, 14 clubs and as many balls as you can fit into your bag.

In disc golf, the disc is a combination of a club and ball; you know, a package.

That's smart!

1. Protoge Clozer
2. DX Roc
3. Icon Ghost
4. Star Teebird
5. Icon Patriot
6. Pinnacle Rival
7. Star Firebird
8. Champ Valkyrie
9. Champ Mamba
10. Star Wraith
11. Champ Wraith
12. Z Surge SS
13. Z Avenger SS

I like the principle of a disc limit for a sanctioned tournament, however, if there was a limit on the number of discs carried, the limit would should be much higher like maybe 25.

Latest posts