• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

<150' approach shots

ponder

Eagle Member
So, now that my driving has improved marginally I'm starting to realize I am horrible at approach shots. Especially ones in the 100-150ft range. What are some good tips/resources for approach shots. I've watched the paul ulibarri upshot clinic I see commonly suggested but is there anything else out there?

Playing catch with someone (have them stand still), while using your putter, is a really good way to get better at short approaches.

I have 3x straight 2speed low glide and 3x overstable, 2-speed low glide discs in my bag. . .and for warm-up i throw them from 100-150feet EVERY time i get to the course. . .it´s now my best shot, i park it every time

Give jump putting a little practice time. You might be suprised how far you can get a jumper, and it's handy when you have the possibility of sailing way past. If you think of it as wanting to hit where the pole meets the ground being your target, you'll get pretty close with some practice.

I usually Jump putt to about 80-100' if it's open or the pin is on a hill. Otherwise a soft forehand or backhand with the nose up depending on the shot.

If you're throwing directly at the basket, keep your wrist above your elbow to ensure that you're throwing nose-up. Alternatively you can just throw a hyzer at it if you have the room, since that shot is consistent and easy to range.

So, now that my driving has improved marginally I'm starting to realize I am horrible at approach shots. Especially ones in the 100-150ft range. What are some good tips/resources for approach shots. I've watched the paul ulibarri upshot clinic I see commonly suggested but is there anything else out there?

You don't need anything else. K.I.S.S.!!!

Still throw firm, just shorten your backswing. I recommend stand still over a run up but if you're uncomfortable with a stand still then shorten your Xstep too.

A neutral putter without much glide is what I like for these upshot if I'm throwing straight at the hole. Lately I've been using a dx aviar3. Low straight and nose up, and I just try and land it in a 12 foot circle. Also, landing flat means less chance of a roll.

A putter for sure at those distances. Personally i think overstable and low glide putters are best for all upshots unless I need a skip or some type of thumber approach in rare cases. Low glide is going to make that disc easier to range distance, also more fade makes it more predictable. I use an Envy, but any os putter would work. Playing catch or just practicing throwing to the base of trees in your yard to learn to range the disc. At 100' you should be trying to give it a chance of going into the basket though if the ground is safe and you know there's no risk of rolling away. At these distances I try to use more of a jump putt form or stepping over my disc as I throw to generate the most accurate power I can.

As others have suggested. Putters. Play catch or object golf around the yard. What I would add is that short ups like this can be a head game similar to putting. It should be VERY EASY to get within 15 feet from 150 99% of the time. I realize how that sounds but my point is don't over think it. My brother and I used to play catch before a round and he would consistently hit my chest from 150 to 200 over and over. Then we would get out there and he would overthink the **** out of it and lose strokes throwing crappy ups. I told him to just look at the target and toss it to the basket. Short ups are "feel" shots. They should be easy and not require much thought.

Yeah putters.. If you are having trouble with the putters at that range throw a neutral mid.. Comet comes to mind.. It is great for that since you can throw it easily with low armspeed, if you prefer forehand something beefy but neutral in a putter, Rhyno, Envy, dx Gator maybe..

If you are throwing backhand try cocking your back leg foot at forty five degrees and feel for that natural arm motion and release point, follow through on your footwork whether it is a step through or a pirouette.

Throw WITHOUT turning your head. This limits your reachback and thus your distance. Use a straight to stable putter of your choice. PRACTICE. Knowing the distance to throw takes a lot of time and practice. Personally, I throw up my driveway to my back yard from my street and it's just about 150'. It helps A LOT. Used to be a massive problem for me, too. ;)

have you checked the course guide for an easy course? is one near me longest hole is like 120 maybe great for putting practice

This progression breakdown helped me out: https://mindbodydisc.com/disc-golf-up-shot-technique/

The same approach works for forehand also. Just using the wrist alone gets you ~100 feet; from there you just get more and more of the rest of the body involved to add incremental distance.

This even works for driving: seeing how far you drive from a standstill, then see how much one step adds, then how much an X-step adds, a run-up, etc.

If you're going to lay up, then throw it at the ground where you want it to end up as long as it isn't skippy dirt. Don't half commit to kind of running it and fade out way off line.

Practice upshots before the round, use several putters, and then putt the results. It will give you good putting practice from "random" locations and also show you that you don't need to get your approaches in a 3' area, you have a good 15'+ radius you can hit and still be fine.

Over time you'll develop preferences for backhand upshot/floater vs. FH upshot vs. jump putt. But that takes practice.

I would think in terms of a softer plastic as well. DX, R-Pro... Optio... or similar... In these situations i throw an r-pro dart slightly nose up aim 10 to 15 feet to the right of the basket with low power and watch it flare about ten feet out scare the basket for a tap in putt. You can go overstable as well just dont throw with the nose up as much.

Latest posts