• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] 175 to 165 gram-differences?

That's kind of my problem, I have been active all my life and I want to keep playing after two rounds. I am not really tired but my lower back muscles will start clenching up. The area with the possibly damaged disc (no m.r.i., just an opinion of a doctor based on mobility tests) will get a stabbing pain in the spine and some sciatic type pains kick in. The funky knee is a another issue but not usually.

This info has been helpful, making me realize that I really need to work on form and getting the back rehabilitated. And also that trying out some lighter discs could definitely be useful to my game and maybe reduce strain a little. Probably need to go lighter on the casual/practice bag as well. I did stop carrying a stool and I finally brought it out to a tourney last weekend. It was really nice to use it whenever possible just to relax the muscles a bit.

The problem with this analysis is arm weight (a constant) is not factored in. I have no idea the average weight of persons arm. For the sake of discussion let's say it's 10lbs.

10lbs + 1 150g disc = 10.33 lbs

10lbs + 1 175g disc = 10.38 lbs

If I have a fixed amount of energy that I can impart to any thrown object (stated in the assumptions), then the mass of my throwing arm, or any other body part* isn't really that big a deal. At the extremes, a "1g" disc won't have 13 times the velocity as a max-weight disc, because really my empty hand and arm can only move and snap at some theoretical maximum (energy waste and a limit on "armspeed" are also stated as assumptions).

Anyway, validation of this isn't really a good use of either of our time, but take two of the same disc, one max-weight, one min-weight, and throw them on a standstill shot (fewer moving parts). The lighter one is more apt to fly as it's designed, whereas the heavier one will probably begin fading out early, because you're not going to get it up to speed as easily.

Well, i think it just goes to show that the next time you see somebody playing with rings on their fingers, tell them to take them off because the 10-15 grams difference will save their arm and increase their distance. :rolleyes:

Unless said ring is a wedding ring and gets lost due to its removal.

Then my distance will likely be reduced to zero on all my discs due to being grounded.

Thanks again for all the opinions on this today gentlemen. It really helped give me a push in the right direction!

Anyway, validation of this isn't really a good use of either of our time, but take two of the same disc, one max-weight, one min-weight, and throw them on a standstill shot (fewer moving parts). The lighter one is more apt to fly as it's designed, whereas the heavier one will probably begin fading out early, because you're not going to get it up to speed as easily.

I personally don't throw lighter discs from standstill, I throw more understable discs. A beat to snot teebird is a better choice for a standstill straight shot than a brand new teebird because it takes less velocity to keep it straight and level.

If I don't have a beat teebird, i'm not going to throw a 150 firebird but instead a leopard or sidewinder of any weight.

I agree with those who feel that lighter discs dont decrease fatigue unless maybe your carrying around 30 discs. I dont throw anything more than a few grams under max weight unless it is a max distance driver and even then it is >165. It is very windy where I live so this is a partial factor but even on a calm day I feel more comfortable/consistant with max weight discs. I do however notice less fatigue/more energy after multiple rounds when I carry my small bag 8-12 discs than my full setup. On my home course I can get by without backups duplicates/specialty discs and Ill leave my snack or extra drink in the truck which I wind up passing at least once durring the round. I would look into smoothing up your form but also consider throwing your arm off once or twice a week. IE driving practice, In 30 or 45 minutes in a field you can get in more than a whole days worth of golf throws. I usually do this once or twice a week preferably with a day rest afterward and can throw golf rounds all day long with minimal fatigue/loss of distance.

As my disc speeds go up my weight goes down.
With my understable discs usually a gram or 2 lighter, than the more stable discs at that speed.

So my putts and mids are all 175ish and >
My fairways are all 169 - 174
My control drivers are 166 - 174
What few high speed drivers I carry are all 163 -168

I tried some lighter discs when working tomahawk and forehand into my throwing styles. Based on my observations the difference from 175g to 165 is barely perceptible. I am sure the lighter end is less stress on the body, but doesn't really feel any better if you are nursing an ache. At 158g my Blizzard Destroyer is noticeably easier to rip distance out of. Same goes for the 150 class discs I have thrown. And a 139g Blizzard Boss is just silly easy to throw (of course it is also silly easy to flip over).

So yes, light discs will help but you are going to have to have clean form to really take full advantage of them and of course get down into 150 class for full benefit.

Latest posts