• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

1979 World Frisbee Golf Championship

Heck the quality of the production is better than all the worlds videos I have seen!

At least it sells the sport.

1979 World Frisbee Golf Championship + Interesting Comment

Sweet video. I started to read the comments when I saw this:

"bobbylikepudding and starstatesounds you guys don't realize that wham-o ran this game back in the day.. they were about to invent triangled edge shaped "disc"... not a frisbee... someone (won't name names) found out about it at wham-0... quite and patented the idea... magically innova was created... (hmm that was wierd) wham-o used to have like $100,000 purses for the game... they got pissed and left the sport after they did that and ever sense innova has continued to only grease its own pockets"

Personally I don't really have an opinion on it because I don't know a whole lot about it, but I thought it was interesting none-the-less.

Thoughts?

heh that is a neat video...i liked when they said "he makes a long putt" about halfway through and its like a 15 footer

The idea that the beveled-edge disc idea was "stolen" has been around for years. Tim Selinski worked at Wham-O and was one of the original Innova guys, so that is where the rumor about Wham-O came from. There are other rumors that Jan Sobel at Destiny Discs had a prototype, and the idea was stolen from him. If you are the kind of guy who wants to believe that sort of thing, there are plenty of rumors for you to believe.

To say that "they (Wham-O) got pissed and left the sport" is a terrible misrepresentation of what happened. What is fact is that Kranso bought out Wham-O in '83, and Kransco put an end to the Frisbee money train. The Frisbee was Wham-O's bread and butter, and it got a Lion's share of their marketing dollars. Kranso made a ton of money selling Power Wheels, and didn't see the Frisbee much differently than they did Super Balls or Hula Hoops. The International Frisbee Association (IFA) had been sponsoring events and funneling money into Frisbee sports since the mid 60's. The IFA was part of Wham-O marketing. Kransco shut the IFA down pretty much overnight when they took over at Wham-O. I'm not sure how a company being pissed about loosing out on the golf disc patent would account for ALL Frisbee sports loosing their funding.

You would have to be pretty naive to believe that there would have been any Kransco money available for disc golf even if they did hold the beveled-edge disc patent. The way I see it, if Wham-O HAD patented the beveled-edge golf disc in '82, there is a strong possibility that Kranso would have shut the product line down a year later and we would have had to wait until 2002 to get ANY golf discs. So if somebody did steal the idea from Wham-O, we should give them a medal.

Last edited:
Its amazing how different things were back then. The commentator was saying things like "look at that powerful drive through the trees" and the guy was throwing maybe 200 feet. Something that would be pretty easy these days, and "he makes a long putt!!" when the guy makes the 15 footer. The frisbees they were throwing looked basically like beach frisbees too. Pretty cool to look back in time like that.

Snapper Pierson, featured in the video, currently has a 979 rating (31 years later). Pretty impressive.

That video is already posted, but it is always a good video to watch
Maybe posted in the lost threads of last year or some pages ago, who's going to want to dwell on dead conversation about the video, or anything for that matter, get all huffy and puffy about something like reposting a vid that was discussed so long ago. If he didn't post that video I wouldn't be posting about it because its lost in cyberspace somewhere, and if by some miracle anyone found the video they'd be sitting in their computer chair talking to themselves about it. New rule, anyone can post what ever they want, even if it was already posted and discussed, and not have some ace member with his feelings hurt bicker about how it was already posted, and you should search all the threads that were ever made to see if what you posted is old news.

I love the fact that there are so many people so close to the basket... None of us would even consider throwing a TeeBird with that sort of crowd around.