• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

1979 World Frisbee Golf Championship

I miss throwing my 165 gm "World Class" Frisbee. The mechanics of throwing them was so different...

300 feet would be a very long hole... and it wouldn't hurt too bad to be hit by them... they were so slow...

New rule, anyone can post what ever they want, even if it was already posted and discussed, and not have some ace member with his feelings hurt bicker about how it was already posted, and you should search all the threads that were ever made to see if what you posted is old news.

yeah.^^^^^^...

Liking that new rule.

Obey.

I miss throwing my 165 gm "World Class" Frisbee. The mechanics of throwing them was so different...

300 feet would be a very long hole... and it wouldn't hurt too bad to be hit by them... they were so slow...

I own a Gopher. I understand the way these things probably worked.

You still have that World Class?

The idea that the beveled-edge disc idea was "stolen" has been around for years. Tim Selinski worked at Wham-O and was one of the original Innova guys, so that is where the rumor about Wham-O came from. There are other rumors that Jan Sobel at Destiny Discs had a prototype, and the idea was stolen from him. If you are the kind of guy who wants to believe that sort of thing, there are plenty of rumors for you to believe.

To say that "they (Wham-O) got pissed and left the sport" is a terrible misrepresentation of what happened. What is fact is that Kranso bought out Wham-O in '83, and Kransco put an end to the Frisbee money train. The Frisbee was Wham-O's bread and butter, and it got a Lion's share of their marketing dollars. Kranso made a ton of money selling Power Wheels, and didn't see the Frisbee much differently than they did Super Balls or Hula Hoops. The International Frisbee Association (IFA) had been sponsoring events and funneling money into Frisbee sports since the mid 60's. The IFA was part of Wham-O marketing. Kransco shut the IFA down pretty much overnight when they took over at Wham-O. I'm not sure how a company being pissed about loosing out on the golf disc patent would account for ALL Frisbee sports loosing their funding.

You would have to be pretty naive to believe that there would have been any Kransco money available for disc golf even if they did hold the beveled-edge disc patent. The way I see it, if Wham-O HAD patented the beveled-edge golf disc in '82, there is a strong possibility that Kranso would have shut the product line down a year later and we would have had to wait until 2002 to get ANY golf discs. So if somebody did steal the idea from Wham-O, we should give them a medal.

Thanks three put, that was some good info.

"Disc golf is new sports phenomenon that is growing rapidly across the country". That's been the tagline for a while it seems. Wild video! I lol'd at the guy that dies into the bush at 4:11 - hahaa...

K.

I think the new rule is sound. This site seems to be rapidly growing, and bringing stuff back up like this gives new users a chance to see it. My first disc designed for disc golf was a whamo, I think a #8. I'd have to dig it out to make sure. It was shaped more like a catch frisbee. Next was a Kitty Hawk Soft Touch, mine is in pretty good shape given that I didn't use it much on account that I didn't like its flight characteristics. Then for us it seemed like Inova, Discraft, and Lightning started selling the "new" style golf discs at around the same time. I was also a member of the old IFA. We thought it would be detrimental to disc golf when Whamo pulled out, but we were able to flourish without them!

I think that everyone should try and find their first set of discs and play a full round with them. I did that a couple years back and found that my 86 Softie and a beat Viper and Cheetah were actually pretty damn good discs still.

They all got their places back in the bag.

I've used the original 86 Softies as a putter ever since they came out. That's like 20 years or so. :)

As far as the new rule, that's fine and dandy-but here's the thing;
I'm not gonna write anything new unless my opionion has changed or there's some reaLly good convo.
Take shoes for example. I have written pages on multiple pairs-which ones for a staple pair,if you rotate,for different width,etc. I'm not gonna rewrite all that and I don't have a pc to save to.

"Disc golf is new sports phenomenon that is growing rapidly across the country". That's been the tagline for a while it seems.

The official tagline is "Disc golf is one of the fastest growing sports in the world." Everyone significant in the sport has to use it in any introduction-to-the-sport interview. It's probably written into their sponsorship contracts.

As far as the new rule, that's fine and dandy-but here's the thing;
I'm not gonna write anything new unless my opionion has changed or there's some reaLly good convo.
Take shoes for example. I have written pages on multiple pairs-which ones for a staple pair,if you rotate,for different width,etc. I'm not gonna rewrite all that and I don't have a pc to save to.

This is not intended at you personally; you are not the end all.

I play bare foot.

If I wanted disc golf shoe advice, I would search AND ask the question new again.

If I wanted to be fashionable (gasp) I would not research the database and wear those tight shorts.

<snicker>

Things change all the time.

The old rule is the old rule, all old rules are.

Thou shall not kill.

Good rule, not an old rule.

What ever.

If you click on the video and let it take you to the youtube page on frisbee disc golf championships, there you will find a lot more old vids on the sport.

The baskets have not changed all that much since 79, the Innova Aero, when you throw it, it has that floaty glider feel to it, kind of like a frisbee when you send it...

And don't take my remark personally, it is not intended that way.

No offense taken. Just using an example to show how searching has its benifits.

Absolutely.

Our time is valuable, I respect yours, the time you spend is an investment into this site.

By the way, I would be interested in your research on shoes, if you have the time, please PM me with the thread URL's. It is getting cold here and I need a pair of shoes for disc golf.

This is a sweet video. I am very thankfull for modern day discs. I don't get how I could have survived with the discs in that video.