• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Legacy] 1st run Icon Gauge thoughts and reviews

sounds too good to be true
They're producing better discs in better plastics than Innova ever has. It would've been too good to be true a couple years ago, but this is the new reality. Innova wasn't a top 3 manufacturer this year, IMO, in terms of quality molding and materials. Jolly Launcher is nice, by far the best thing they made this year. Legacy is killing it.

I'm a big fan of the Rival and bag a pinnacle and legend for mild to moderate headwinds. I'd love a wintertime sub for my ce QMS like Rivals have been for my ce eagles.

Yeah really every classic Millennium/Innova disc I used to use has been easily replaced by Legacy. They make stuff that works for tournament players and the shots I need. Only things non-Legacy around is a Firebird and Scorpius. Those are 2 important workhorse discs that I'd be surprised I ever replace

What Is the inner rim like on these or more specifically do they have that abrupt sharp edge like a Qmy?

I just got mine in the mail...this thing may fly great, but it feels awkward as hell in my hands. It also was severely damaged in shipping..huge dent in the top. it's 180g, and I don't get all the talk about Legacy's plastic blends. This is clearly Icon plastic, but it's the worst Icon I've ever felt. I throw my Patriots in Icon and love it, find it slightly better than Star, but this run feels goofy. Very slick and super stiff...it honestly feels like the same floater DX blend that Innova uses on Hydras. Except it looks WAAAAAAY better. It's got some swirls in it, which is pretty unique compared to all the other Icon I have.

I'll obviously withhold judgement until I actually throw this, but it just feels awkward to me.

I just got mine in the mail...this thing may fly great, but it feels awkward as hell in my hands. It also was severely damaged in shipping..huge dent in the top. it's 180g, and I don't get all the talk about Legacy's plastic blends. This is clearly Icon plastic, but it's the worst Icon I've ever felt. I throw my Patriots in Icon and love it, find it slightly better than Star, but this run feels goofy. Very slick and super stiff...it honestly feels like the same floater DX blend that Innova uses on Hydras. Except it looks WAAAAAAY better. It's got some swirls in it, which is pretty unique compared to all the other Icon I have.

I'll obviously withhold judgement until I actually throw this, but it just feels awkward to me.

What color did you get? I snagged a heavy blue one and a lighter weight green one. To me the plastic feels more like esp than star, and my blue one is on the stiffer side. The green one is more flexible but I couldn't say it's as gummy as some of the star runs. Side by side the blue has a higher PLH than the green.

AndyJB - what color?

Edit: Never mind . . . too slow

What color did you get? I snagged a heavy blue one and a lighter weight green one. To me the plastic feels more like esp than star, and my blue one is on the stiffer side. The green one is more flexible but I couldn't say it's as gummy as some of the star runs. Side by side the blue has a higher PLH than the green.

I got Yellow with a Blue Stamp. It looks just absolutely perfect. Great combination. It's got a small amount of pearl around the rim when held up to light. It certainly is more akin to ESP than Star.

Just ordered one from Prime Discs, it was the one day wonder for $12.69. Got one in pink in the 175 weight. All the colors look sooo good, picking one was hard. Was wanting to go yellow but, the lightest was 179. Have only thrown up to 174 and did not want to get too heavy, so pink was the default.

I have yet to bag a yellow or pink disc so far...just trying to keep all my bagged discs different colors for easy identification.

Merry Christmas to Me!

So who wants to be a saint and post a good profile pic of a guage? Also, how well will this work for flat to right turning shots (RHBH)? I'm quickly starting to become a legacy guy.

So who wants to be a saint and post a good profile pic of a guage? Also, how well will this work for flat to right turning shots (RHBH)? I'm quickly starting to become a legacy guy.

Search "guage" and you will find a thread for guage/bandit/mongoose... I think page seven shows a pic of all the colors stacked up on themselves.

Threw my Gauge a couple of rounds today. I like the feel and flight of the disc, HOWEVER, I was disappointed that this run of Icon plastic didn't seem to up to the latest Legacy standards. It reminded me of the first run Icon Ghosts that were kinda slick and needed to treated with a little TLC before the slickness wore off. I would love to see this disc in Protege or Gravity plastic.

How is the stiffness/firmness of these in the Icon plastic? I have never touched a Legacy disc before. How does Icon compare to Lat or Innova plastics?

My Guage will be here Monday! Cant wait!

How is the stiffness/firmness of these in the Icon plastic? I have never touched a Legacy disc before. How does Icon compare to Lat or Innova plastics?

I have several 1st run Icon Legacy discs. My blue Patriot, purple Rival and orange Bandit are nice and firm and are, IMO, a step above Innova's star plastic. My yellow Ghost and yellow Gauge are firm but slick out of the box. It took several rounds for me to get comfortable with the Ghost and slick/slippery feeling to go away. I played a second round today with the Gauge and it felt better later in the round but I think it will take some more work to get rid of the slick/slippery feeling. It may be just me but I cant wait until Legacy makes the Ghost and Gauge in their protege or gravity plastic. Legacy's Pinnacle plastic is very good too. I have a pinnacle Rival, it is my workhorse disc.

I have several 1st run Icon Legacy discs. My blue Patriot, purple Rival and orange Bandit are nice and firm and are, IMO, a step above Innova's star plastic. My yellow Ghost and yellow Gauge are firm but slick out of the box. It took several rounds for me to get comfortable with the Ghost and slick/slippery feeling to go away. I played a second round today with the Gauge and it felt better later in the round but I think it will take some more work to get rid of the slick/slippery feeling. It may be just me but I cant wait until Legacy makes the Ghost and Gauge in their protege or gravity plastic. Legacy's Pinnacle plastic is very good too. I have a pinnacle Rival, it is my workhorse disc.

Gravity Ghosts are already out there. :clap:

I love this Disc! :D The plastic was not slick at all, felt pretty grippy from the start. I got a 175 pink one with a silver stamp. Feels firmer than GL or Star.

This thing will fly straight with little fade if any. I was able to throw this disc 225-250 with in a few throws off the tee. I was surprised since it is heavy and I have a noodle arm! I played two rounds with it and it can work straight, hyzer, and s-curve shots very well. I birdied our hole #2 warming up a few times and during my scored rounds I birded them with tap in putts with my off hand! I did manage to shank a shot that went right and more right and was NOT coming back :doh: . I think it will be useful for the mid/approach duties in my bag.

Not bad for the first outing. Looking like the Roc is coming out of the bag (I never liked it anyway). I think my mids are gonna be GL Fuse, Icon Gauge, and a GL Mace! I know the numbers on the Gauge and Mace are close, but the Mace fades harder than Lats numbers suggest (for me). I get more of a "2.5" fade than the "1.5" they claim.

This was the most fun midrange disc I have thrown in a while!

Last edited:

Latest posts