• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

1st tournament tips

B.Fairbanks.1023

Bogey Member
So I've been playing consistently (at least once a week) for about 4 months. I just registered for my 1st tournament. That being said, it's an unsanctioned tournament at my local course in early March. I figured what better place to play competitively at first.

I don't want this to come off conceited, but how would I know if I should play Rec or intermediate? I've gotten mixed opinions from the guys in my local club. I can "bomb" and scramble pretty well considering how new I am, so I would hate to show up have other guys get mad if I run away with it...not saying that that's going to happen. I really have no idea. Are there general rules of thumb for divisions? I was thinking play Rec at least until I win a sanctioned rec tourney then possibly move up?

Any opinions would be appreciated

You've only been playing four months and it's your first tournament. Rec is a perfectly reasonable place to start. If you do run away with it then you'll know to move up next time. But look at the scores in intermediate after the tournament to judge for yourself.

Don't worry if other folks get bent if you beat them. If they feel like someone that's been playing for four months is out of their league, that is their problem, not yours.

Most of all, relax and enjoy yourself.

You've only been playing four months and it's your first tournament. Rec is a perfectly reasonable place to start. If you do run away with it then you'll know to move up next time. But look at the scores in intermediate after the tournament to judge for yourself.

Don't worry if other folks get bent if you beat them. If they feel like someone that's been playing for four months is out of their league, that is their problem, not yours.

Most of all, relax and enjoy yourself.

this! rec is appropriate to start in. no one who is reasonable would get bent out of shape getting beat by you if you just started playing. have fun!

The first time we entered a tournament we competed in Rec because we had never done a tournament before. Having only played casual rounds we had no idea how good or bad we would do. Turns out two of the guys I play with must be pretty good and ran away with not only that division but finished 1 and 2 overall. There were a lot of cranky people there that day. It was a good learning experience. The next tournament we played we went intermediate.

Good luck and have fun.

Roller putts hardly ever work.

I just signed up for my first tournament and I've been playing for about 5 months. I had just asked this question myself. Best of luck in your tournament!

Know the rules.
Act like you've been there before.
Pay attention, keep your head on a swivel.
You're gonna make bad shots, don't sweat it.
Mini, towels, water, nuts, banana.
Extra socks and shoes.

I suggest Craigs Corner stickied in the Technique and Strategy section, really great info in there about tournament prep as well as mindset. Danny Lindahl has a good first tournament prep vid too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoCbzD6Vb20

Both helped me feel comfortable going into my first tournament. Rereading the rules periodically always helps. Every time I do it I feel like I come away with a better understanding of the game.

Here is a tip that has saved me strokes.

Don't be afraid to lay up and take a par.

When I first started doing tournaments I would run long putts that I had little chance of making. If I didn't draw metal I would sail past the basket leaving myself an equally long putt coming back the other way and if I missed that putt then I was looking at a bogey at best. In other words, rather than risk a long birdie and end up with bogey I started laying up and taking the sure par. Probably saved me three or four strokes per game.

Here is a tip that has saved me strokes.

Don't be afraid to lay up and take a par.

When I first started doing tournaments I would run long putts that I had little chance of making. If I didn't draw metal I would sail past the basket leaving myself an equally long putt coming back the other way and if I missed that putt then I was looking at a bogey at best. In other words, rather than risk a long birdie and end up with bogey I started laying up and taking the sure par. Probably saved me three or four strokes per game.

I understand the logic completely behind that, but I always grew up taking the risk with sports. I've heard a lot of "have fun" which might lead to less laying up than would be smart. lol

I figured what better place to play competitively at first.

Have you paid competitively at local minis where you pay anywhere from 5-20.00 to play against other players? Typically they have divisions where you could play against other similar skilled players. If you answer no..to this.. then I would disagree with your comment above. ;)

Yeah, if the only thing on the line is a score or bragging rights or even just a tag I will often make bold moves. If there's money on the line I try and make smart shots.

Have you paid competitively at local minis where you pay anywhere from 5-20.00 to play against other players? Typically they have divisions where you could play against other similar skilled players. If you answer no..to this.. then I would disagree with your comment above. ;)

I'm not quite following? So it wouldn't be smart to play my first tournament at my home course? (That's what I was alluding to).

The only time I've played for any money is when some of the league guys get together for random doubles, but I wouldn't consider that the same.

Yeah, if the only thing on the line is a score or bragging rights or even just a tag I will often make bold moves. If there's money on the line I try and make smart shots.

I would have to agree, depending on how much money I suppose. If it's an inconsequential dollar amount then I'd rather have the peace of mind knowing that I'm trying to make what is now a risky/tough shot more routine. I grew up playing golf watching Tiger in his prime so the "go for it" mentality seems to have stuck lol.

Well, Rec is fine. Have fun, and manage your score. Go for birdies when it makes sense, pars are good and know when to let a stroke go so you don't lose 2 or more.
Send us a picture of your winning if all goes well.

So I've been playing consistently (at least once a week) for about 4 months. I just registered for my 1st tournament. That being said, it's an unsanctioned tournament at my local course in early March. I figured what better place to play competitively at first.

I don't want this to come off conceited, but how would I know if I should play Rec or intermediate? I've gotten mixed opinions from the guys in my local club. I can "bomb" and scramble pretty well considering how new I am, so I would hate to show up have other guys get mad if I run away with it...not saying that that's going to happen. I really have no idea. Are there general rules of thumb for divisions? I was thinking play Rec at least until I win a sanctioned rec tourney then possibly move up?

Any opinions would be appreciated

I'm not quite following? So it wouldn't be smart to play my first tournament at my home course? (That's what I was alluding to).

The only time I've played for any money is when some of the league guys get together for random doubles, but I wouldn't consider that the same.

Paying money to play in local minis helps prepare for the mental adjustment of playing in your first real PDGA event. People always react differently when money is on the line. lol..

Now...if you're goal is to just have fun with no care how you play, or how anyone else plays, you're just there for the "experience" then by all means go for it. But some people don't like the tournament scene due to many reasons. It can be very serious, very quiet, someone who is a rule nut will question/call everything, etc, etc. People you play with casually all of a sudden get "serious" because they want to win merch, trophy, etc, etc. Yes, all this happens even in the rec division from time to time. lol..

I've played in over 100 tournaments, they are a blast, but there is definitely a learning curve when it comes to playing in them. Especially the pace, if you're a fast player or routinely play by yourself, I would suggest slowing way..down..when you play. lol.. Good luck!

Paying money to play in local minis helps prepare for the mental adjustment of playing in your first real PDGA event. People always react differently when money is on the line. lol..

Now...if you're goal is to just have fun with no care how you play, or how anyone else plays, you're just there for the "experience" then by all means go for it. But some people don't like the tournament scene due to many reasons. It can be very serious, very quiet, someone who is a rule nut will question/call everything, etc, etc. People you play with casually all of a sudden get "serious" because they want to win merch, trophy, etc, etc. Yes, all this happens even in the rec division from time to time. lol..

I've played in over 100 tournaments, they are a blast, but there is definitely a learning curve when it comes to playing in them. Especially the pace, if you're a fast player or routinely play by yourself, I would suggest slowing way..down..when you play. lol.. Good luck!

Haha thanks for the clarification. I've played other sports for money and am better under pressure so my thought is that having money on the line should only help me, as weird as that sounds. As for the pace of play, I've played by myself and in a gang of 12 people so I've been exposed to both. This tournament scene sounds very similar to my high school golf team...should be interesting lol. Thanks!