• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2 day TN, NC & SC disc binge from OH

culinarywiz

Birdie Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Hey folks!

Putting together a 2 day trip. Trying to be a bit conservative with only 3 courses planned each day, primarily because all 6 courses are pretty beasty.

Looking for any input on courses at this time or events that may be cause for looking at different options.

Friday April 28;
Harmon Hills
Sugaree (I have touched base with Mondo)
Ashe County Park

Saturday April 29;
Canaan Riverbend
Renny Gold
Hornets Nest (glad to see it's back open!)

There are a couple other courses - Robert L Smith & Bradford - that we may try to squeeze in. Perhaps even Sunday morning before the trip back to OH. Unfortunately, time is short.

Also, I purposely left Nevin out. I still haven't fully recovered from my last beating there.

All insight is appreciated!

Looks like fun! IMO Camp Canaan doesn't make my top 10 Charlotte area courses. Beautiful land, meh golf.

After just looking back, wondering how I missed Brackett's Bluff. I have heard of that course for years, although I guess I thought it was closed. What's your take?

After just looking back, wondering how I missed Brackett's Bluff. I have heard of that course for years, although I guess I thought it was closed. What's your take?

Brackett's is fun (especially if you like the Private Course thing) but it a bit limited. Other than the big boy courses (Nevin, Nest, Renny) that you've already mentioned; I'd rather play RL Smith, Stumpy Creek, Dry Creek or Bradford before I would play Brackett's. Heck, I think the golf is actually better at Scrapyard, Kilbourne and Robbins than Brackett's.

Brackett's is fun (especially if you like the Private Course thing) but it a bit limited. Other than the big boy courses (Nevin, Nest, Renny) that you've already mentioned; I'd rather play RL Smith, Stumpy Creek, Dry Creek or Bradford before I would play Brackett's. Heck, I think the golf is actually better at Scrapyard, Kilbourne and Robbins than Brackett's.

Appreciated.
I must confess, I am a sucker for natural beauty. Private courses are some of my fav's and a gorgeous, diverse setting makes up for a lack in technicality, IMO.

A differing opinion---I've played half the Charlotte courses, including Renny, Nevin, and Brackett's Bluff, and Camp Canaan is my favorite. Perhaps in part because of the beauty and seclusion.

But you can't go wrong, anywhere in Charlotte.

A differing opinion---I've played half the Charlotte courses, including Renny, Nevin, and Brackett's Bluff, and Camp Canaan is my favorite.

Yea, it looks to be sexy and dangerous...nice mix. I will have a few "extra" discs in my bag.

Wish I had enough time to get a little further south on this trip. Eventually, I will play Stoney Hill. Looks like it has all the diversity I love in DGC's.

You have an all-star course list on your agenda. Come visit Stoney Hill when you're making your tour of crappy courses, so we'll really stand out.

I'll just say that playing Harmon, Sugaree, and another course all in one day is going to be tough. I would advise against it. Cut the other course and just play Harmon and Sugaree so you can play at a decent pace and not have to worry about time.

I played those in one day last year and Mando was warning me that even that would be tough to do. I was solo though, so it wasn't so bad, but I wouldn't have had time for another. And I started Harmon at like 8am.

I'll just say that playing Harmon, Sugaree, and another course all in one day is going to be tough. I would advise against it. Cut the other course and just play Harmon and Sugaree so you can play at a decent pace and not have to worry about time.

I played those in one day last year and Mando was warning me that even that would be tough to do. I was solo though, so it wasn't so bad, but I wouldn't have had time for another. And I started Harmon at like 8am.

Heard. If we can't get to Ashe County that day, then so be it. There is a lot of great disc waiting in Charlotte.

Lol I was going to post this ^ as well, although I never even contemplated attempted all three in a day. :eek:

IDK if Renny has improved navigation issues, but when I played a couple years ago it was difficult.

"Conservative"? How do you define "Reckless"????

It's mostly travel time between courses. In a concentrated area like Charlotte, I think 3 courses is conservative. We want to push but not so much as to lessen the experience at each course.

My favorite Charlotte area courses, in order- RL Smith, Dry Creek, Renny Gold, Hornets nest(haven't been since reopening), Nevin, Robbins, Bradford(only down this far cause it was my home course for a while and got repetitive)

Scrapyard and Reedy Creek are closest to me since I moved a couple years ago- both solid courses. Still waiting on the new course at Wallace park in Midland.

Brackett's is awesome too but in a kind of different way. Great for the local club there.

PS- judging by your name, you may enjoy a custom chefs knife- I'm a bladesmith specializing in kitchen knives. I can have one finished by the time you visit :)

Pardon the shameless plug.

It's mostly travel time between courses. In a concentrated area like Charlotte, I think 3 courses is conservative. We want to push but not so much as to lessen the experience at each course.

That agenda would wipe me out, even if I could teleport between courses. Perhaps even more if I could teleport between courses, because I'd be denied the recuperation of a commute. Obviously, you're in better shape than I am. Well, everyone is, but nonetheless, that's a lot of disc golf, much of it with a lot of hills to hike. I salute you.

I just wish I hadn't read the word "conservative", because if I tried that, "suicidal" would be the adjective of choice. I certainly can't imagine playing those six courses, and more, in 2 days.

Other than the big boy courses (Nevin, Nest, Renny) that you've already mentioned; I'd rather play RL Smith, Stumpy Creek, Dry Creek or Bradford before I would play Brackett's.

My favorite Charlotte area courses, in order- RL Smith, Dry Creek, Renny Gold, Hornets nest(haven't been since reopening), Nevin, Robbins, Bradford(only down this far cause it was my home course for a while and got repetitive)

RL Smith and Dry Creek getting some love. RL Smith looks brutal. Dry Creek looks pretty casual/fun. Hmmm. Man, you Charlotte folks are lucky. One needs a week just to hit the top courses in these parts.

Latest posts