• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2012 Goals

1. Have fun
2. Hit 3 of the top 25 rated courses in country (for first time)
3. Get played courses list over 100
4. Have a successful season with club events
5. Play 4 sanctioned tourneys
6. Develop a consistent flick and thumber
7. Get one more damn ace

1. Done
2. Haven't played any additional top 25 courses yet, but plan to hit Flyboy and Charlotte to change that.
3. At 71
4. Very successful, grew group from 10 to 70+ members, with about 25-35 regularly playing events or casual rounds.
5. Played 3 PDGA events
6. Had a thumber early on in January, but went away after not throwing it much.
7. Got number 10 last week.

The goals I have decided for myself for this year are:

1. Eliminate high number holes in tournaments - I seem to have 2 or 3 of these per round on a technical course.
2. Maintain proper field work schedule and work on keeping big snap so it doesn't come/go as it has been since last fall.
3. Develop a decent flick
4. Dial in my short game inside 250 to be well inside the circle every time
5. Learn spin control and how it affects flights of my discs

So far over the past few weeks I've been doing field work with upshots and I am getting more comfortable with them, I've also started doing forehand field work for the first time ever and I'm seeing great improvements. I work on flicking various lines with all the discs in my bag focusing on snap and clean release. Seeing positive results already.

I will probably start adding spin control to the field work days as I get closer to summer.

My major goals for 2012:

650 courses played and reviewed. (currently 532)
45 states played. (currently 38)
10 travel tag swaps. (8 so far in 2011)
Improve putting consistency inside the circle. (currently not so much)
PDGA rating over 950. (currently 931)

I did pretty well on my goals this year:

670 courses played
41 states played (missed a trip that would have netted 4 more due to injury)
6 travel tag swaps
Putting consistency is a little better, still plenty of work to do
PDGA rating: 949

1. Get my first Am 1 win.
2. Finish in the (funny) money in Am 1 for the NEFA Points series and Finals.
3. Play a non-major outside of New England (DC area hopefully).
4. Develop a consistent practice routine.

1. Had a couple close opportunities, but no wins.
2. Cashed in the points series, not in finals.
3. Only tournament outside New England was the USDGC, failed.
4. I did get more field practice this year than years past, but never had any sort of consistent routine.

1/2 out of 4, not the best.

I'm changing my goals a little. I'm slimming it down to just two main things to focus on in order to call my 2012 season a success:

1. Cash in Am 1 at NEFA finals.
2. Become the top rated amateur in New Hampshire.

Both are ambitious goals, but I think they're reachable. I need to focus on practicing more and practicing better. If I focus on building consistency, I think I can get there.

No more success on my updated goals.

1. Did not cash at finals.
2. I'm fourth in the state. A little better play could've gotten me to second, but Ken Marshall has me crushed.

I cut and pasted my goals and included the results in red.

I am moderately satisfied in my goals and results. My play went downhill slightly and I do have plans to make it better again in 2013. I am most excited about the course design work. Even though I didn't get anything concrete until very late in the season, my business is up and running and ready to go.

I even ran a glow league this fall as a way to try and raise some money for the business and just started a winter league too.

I am looking forward to 2013 and I will post those goals in a new thread unless someone else has already posted one.

1) Get my average holes played per day (since my first round ever) up to 18.0 minimum. Currently sitting at 17.80. MADE IT TO 18.27
2) Maintain my average of 100 new courses per year by surpassing 400 courses. Currently sitting at 309 on DGCR (actually 310 because a temp course setup isnt on the site) MADE IT TO 460 which is 115 per year average
3) Get back on track ad get my rating between 915-925. It shouldn't be a problem since in March I will lose an 837 and 858 rated rounds (OUCH), they were bad but not bad enough to not count in the calculation. PLAYED TERRIBLE IN TOURNEYS AND REGRESSED TO A 906 FROM MY 908.
4) Win an Intermediate tournament. 2 THIRD PLACES TO GO WITH MY PRIOR YEARS 3 RUNNER UPS AND 2 OTHER THIRD PLACES
5) Practice putting especially 20-30' at least twice per week for 30 minutes. DIDN'T HAPPEN AFTER MY LANDSCAPE SEASON KICKED IN
6) Approach 5 different people or places about installing a disc golf course on their property, and get the ball rolling on trying to design and install some courses on my own. I DESIGNED 1 COURSE AND IT HAS BEEN STAKED OUT AND WILL BE INSTALLED IN SPRING. I HAVE DESIGNED ABOUT 5 OTHERS ON GOOGLE MAPS OF PLACES I KNOW VERY WELL AND WILL BE TAKING THOSE DESIGNS TO THE PEOPLE IN CHARGE SO THE BALL IS ROLLING AND IT SEEMS TO BE GAINING MOMENTUM
7) Learn how to throw a hyzer to use the right to left wind to my advantage. I DID BETTER THIS YEAR BUT I CAN'T THROW IT FOR A WHOLE LOT OF DISTANCE
8) Work on my flick roller for certain trouble spots . . . not really a measurable goal but something I would like to improve. I HAVE DEFINITELY LEARNED HOW TO THROW THIS SHOT FOR RECOVERY SHOTS, BUT NOT DISTANCE

- Cash in an AM2 MPT event
- Play BDF, Akers, and Enman Field
- Play more practice rounds
- Play new courses in at least two new states

I did cash in one AM2 MPT event, the championships for a whole $7. I hope I can do better this year.

I played Akers and Enman Field several times. I went out to BDF and found the signage lacking for the first time there and stopped after two holes.

I got more practice rounds in vs. playing leagues, but I should definitely expand on that. Those darn ace pots are too tempting.

I didn't play in two new states. I drove through a ton of them this year. I guess I need to plan on more than three days for the Maine to Minnesota trip to actually get some playing in.

The goals I have decided for myself for this year are:

1. Eliminate high number holes in tournaments - I seem to have 2 or 3 of these per round on a technical course.
2. Maintain proper field work schedule and work on keeping big snap so it doesn't come/go as it has been since last fall.
3. Develop a decent flick
4. Dial in my short game inside 250 to be well inside the circle every time
5. Learn spin control and how it affects flights of my discs

So far over the past few weeks I've been doing field work with upshots and I am getting more comfortable with them, I've also started doing forehand field work for the first time ever and I'm seeing great improvements. I work on flicking various lines with all the discs in my bag focusing on snap and clean release. Seeing positive results already.

I will probably start adding spin control to the field work days as I get closer to summer.

Haha, wow. I've had a pretty productive year as far as disc golf goes, but I met few if any of the goals I set in March.

1. I reduced the frequency of high number holes but they still happen here and there.
2. I stuck to field work this year, but focused more on repetition to get more consistent drives and learn to place drives within a certain area up to 300 feet. Also did a lot of putting work, which helped my game the most. Big snap that I talked about eventually went away because I didn't continue working on it. My max D suffered as a result going from a consistent 460-480 back to the old 400-430. I'll see if I can bring it back next year.
3. Started doing some sidearm field work in the spring but never followed through with it because I was working on the things listed above.
4. Short game is WAY better now than it was in the spring but I still have the occasional shank.
5. Never got around to it.

Still, I went from a middle of the pack Intermediate player to constantly placing well in Advanced and my overall game has improved significantly. Rating jumped from 916 in Mach to 954 now. Can't wait 'til spring so I can get back to the field and continue to improve! I already have new goals for 2013 we'll see what I can accomplish.

Last edited: