• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2012 Pro World's DVD

I'll take that bet.

And I'll bet you'd be surprised at the % of members that don't access the internet (from home or elsewhere).

Having the Internet doesn't mean people use it or use it well. Bandwidth for many is inadequate for video as are monitor sizes or their display settings to properly view them. You'd be surprised how many people still don't know how to save a file or attachment let alone retrieve it when they want to look at it.

What's a file?

I'll take that bet.

And I'll bet you'd be surprised at the % of members that don't access the internet (from home or elsewhere).

I was thinking the same thing. In Santa Cruz alone I personally know 10-15 guys with no internet access who are DDGC club members.

Being from the Santa Cruz area and it is where I learned this game, I am sad to hear that the worlds dvd won't most likely make it in to full production. I understand why, but was hoping to see these amazing courses played by the best pros in the world so I could day dream about my old stomping grounds.

Being from the Santa Cruz area and it is where I learned this game, I am sad to hear that the worlds dvd won't most likely make it in to full production. I understand why, but was hoping to see these amazing courses played by the best pros in the world so I could day dream about my old stomping grounds.

Check my youtube page in a few weeks, I am going to be filming and I just got a few new cameras so I'm pretty excited. Now all I need is some help with all the filming.

^Sweet! I would volunteer if I were there. Good luck and keep us posted. I never get tired of watching De LaVeaga.

Does Corey Justice's "ace" of the top of the world hole still count as the longest tournamnet ace ever?

A player at Bowling Green aced like an 800+ hole with a roller this year and that is recognized as the longest ace ever.

You'd be surprised how many people still don't know how to save a file or attachment let alone retrieve it when they want to look at it.

You'd be surprised at how many people can't read - Does that mean the PDGA should charge all members an additional $15/year to produce the material in audio form?

Yes, a baseline expectation for PDGA membership is that people are able to read but not necessarily in English. No requirement for computer literacy at this point. Note that we do require players perform simple addition but not in the binary system yet. We're making slow progress toward a technological future.

Last edited:
I am 28. I have record, disc, and suit collections totaling a stores worth of computers, yet i do not own a computer, nor do i plan to.

I acknowledge complaints about the zine but i still have a hard time believeing folks favor the crappy emails i skim and delete over it.

As mentioned before, not only does stand a better chance of a positive introduction to non players (on a coffee table vs utube, dvds, or emails) but it gives slightly seasoned players the chance to put names with faces.

I acknowledge complaints about the zine but i still have a hard time believeing folks favor the crappy emails i skim and delete over it.
Straw man argument - nobody has advocated "crappy emails" as the preferred format for delivering content.

As mentioned before, not only does stand a better chance of a positive introduction to non players (on a coffee table vs utube, dvds, or emails)
A beautiful video shared on facebook can reach far more people than a magazine left on a coffee table.

The Swedish Disc Golf promo with 100,000+ youtube views has probably encouraged plenty of people to give the sport a second thought.
but it gives slightly seasoned players the chance to put names with faces.
Not a valid point - every format except radio allows you to put names with faces.
i do not own a computer, nor do i plan to.
Something tells me that with your 4,000+ posts on a message board, you'd do just fine if the PDGA decided to send you content online.

When i used the term "crappy emails...", i didnt mean it in a general sense of email marketing, i literally ment the pdga update emails. If thats not what we re comparing (from the perspective of what the pdga provides) then what are we comparing?

You are making a huge assumption that people click & watch links.
Everyone that knows me enough to know my name knows i love dg. Utube is available for most and i am quick to lend dg dvds yet many of my friends havent seen dg in a professional spotlight (or at all) outside of taking a min to brose the zine. You see, the way people brose media that doesnt hold value in their life is different than media theyre interested in- thats why people etc are popular even with internet access how it is.
I live in an area where almost everyone has at least heard of dg. Ive had people tell me dglive was on tv but after a few seconds they turned it (not because of quality, but because of their interest).
When ive watched dg vids at work no one payed any attention outside of laughing. When i brought a zine to work everyone skimmed and some had questions.

You must be trippin about the name to faces thing.
I have a ton of dg dvds and watch utube; the dvds are dominated by the same faces and the utube coverage lacks focus. What formats are you talking about?
Ill also add that internet vids lack time consideration. If i asked the webs what ct's beard looks like how do you think theyd respond?

Only because of dgcr. I debated over a smart phone vs gps but thought that having dgcr available would help when finding courses.

Many players join the PDGA solely because they play enough events that they save money on the $10 non-member fee (Saving the $10 is a tangible benefit not a service).

I'm the opposite -- I play enough events that membership would save me money on tournament fees but I support the PDGA by not joining (since they get more money that way).

Also, on ratings, I'd pay more money to not have my rating tracked. I find I play better when I'm not thinking about that sort of thing, and don't really care about the numbers. They'll probably need to stop showing registrations online at some point, as burglars read websites.

I'm not real keen on the magazine (another benefit of not being a member!) but have started to appreciate its purpose. I'm advising folks to hang onto theirs. They'll be worth a fortune in about 50 years when disc golf is huge and nobody even knows what a magazine is anymore. That's assuming the sport survives the impending wave of lawsuits. A player's face split open on a 20' throw? Really?

They lose money because they dont spend enough to make it worth a ****.

2010 worlds was a joke.

2011 worlds is being done pro-bono by hastings and may be the only one ever made worth buying.

maybe 2011 will sell a boatload since it will look like a ESPN piece rather than a TYCO my first DvD like the rest of them...

Cooldaddyslickbreeze is a joke too. his format isnt bad, but his voice is horrid and kinda ruins it.

The Pro Worlds DVDs don't actually lose money but it usually takes around 3 years to recoup the investment and longer if they miss the first Christmas buying deadline.

The Pro Worlds DVDs don't actually lose money but it usually takes around 3 years to recoup the investment and longer if they miss the first Christmas buying deadline.

How much does the pdga invest in the pro worlds DVD? How do they decide who produces it? Do multiple people bid for the project?

2011 worlds is being done pro-bono by hastings and may be the only one ever made worth buying.

maybe 2011 will sell a boatload since it will look like a ESPN piece rather than a TYCO my first DvD like the rest of them...

I guess we'll have to take your word for it. :\

Latest posts