• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 Am Worlds...Minneapolis

Nevermind Aray. He just don't know better. :)

4 courses thru the week for MG1 is just fine. Not everybody is able to pre-play 90 holes. 72 makes it better. Besides (unlike some years), we got a nice selection of courses. The powers that be done good.

Ron

:\

OK, Ron, I get cha. Never mind my friend Ron, He & I disagree on this issue. To me, playing Worlds is about the experience, and since I've started playing in AM Worlds events part of that experience is playing more courses ... particularly in an area that has many to offer and use for hosting Worlds. I need to find out whom to write/call to see if that can be considered still to make MG1 like the others. If I'm dropping the coin it takes to come from Texas, I want to play as many of the great M-StP courses as I can. And before someone chimes in about playing them on my own time, I'm still gonna do that, just like I did in Charlotte. But with two duplications on my Worlds schedule it just still lessens my opportunities.

Depending on the course mix and expected number of players, we'll sometimes schedule some of the older divisions (and youngest) with one less layout to practice than some of the younger divisions. In this draft for MG1, if you make the cut for the semis, you do play a fifth different course.

Chuck, thanks, I understand and noticed that. But if I don't make the cut, they're not gonna let me on that 5th course Saturday morning. Older/younger pools I get, but this draft schedule clealry has MG1 as the only 6-round division that's different. There is even an older division (MS1) playing 5 different courses out of the 6 rounds.

In Charlotte we had five (Scrapyard, Kilborne, Angry, Winget, and Reedy Creekx2), duplicating Reedy again for the semis. Even last year in Emporia for a Worlds that only had 5 courses total we got to play all 5 (Country Club, Peter Pan, Jones East, Jones West x2, and Municipal) and a different duplicate in the semis (PP).

Here is what I see for the different divisions, counting different layouts
MA1 - 5 different courses, out of 6 rounds
MM1 - 5/6
MG1 - 4/6
MS1 - 5/6
FA1 - 5/6

Now the jrs and legends have only 4, I see that.

There was talk of staggering start times like in Emporia whereby some courses might have three rounds in a day, an 8:00 shotgun, a 11:30 shotgun (for a pool only playing one round that day), and a 3:00 shotgun.

Chuck is this schedule set in stone or is there someone I can talk or write to with a possible option to consider?

Wow!

Masters and Senior Grandmasters already SOLD OUT!
Only 12 spots left in Grandmasters.

If you were invited to Am Worlds in any age protected division, please sign up today.

If you were not invited to Am Worlds. Sorry, maybe next year. :(

Hmm... MM1 is full. GM1 has 12 spots left. SG1 is full. Sort'a just like last year. If you miss the first day you are not in. Thankfully in CDT land I could register at 11pm before I went to beddybye.

I said it last year --- our sport is growing older (duh). I wonder what changes could be made in the Worlds invite/schedule/registration process that could allow for such? Dunno.

Ron

Araytx, the first draft schedule is never set in stone. Always changes based on registration numbers after the dust settles. Whether a division gets 4 or 5 different courses shouldn't affect the quality of your Worlds experience since it also includes practice and course exploration rounds both before and after the main event. All of the 8 courses being played by some divisions are worth checking out. Plus, there are several other courses in the metro area worth checking out that aren't being used.

As a pro, I don't understand the fascination with playing so many different courses in competition at Worlds. I want to try and play the ones assigned to my division well and even get a second shot at them so the value of my practice time is maximized. On the other hand, as a course designer, I want to play as many other good courses in places I visit. And it's even better playing those rec rounds without the pressure so I perhaps enjoy them a little more.

Hey all you old farts, if you get locked out of Am Worlds, there is still (barely) enough time to sign up for Tulsa Masters.

I proposed the possibility of splitting Worlds with MPO, FPO, MA1 and FA1 at one Worlds and all other Pro and Am age-based divisions at the other Worlds. Weak reception from the powers that be.

I proposed the possibility of splitting Worlds with MPO, FPO, MA1 and FA1 at one Worlds and all other Pro and Am age-based divisions at the other Worlds. Weak reception from the powers that be.

If demand keeps rising somethings gotta give eventually.

It's hard to say which way it will go. The events and number of courses are large enough as it is right now to find sites with enough courses to host them. So they may just cap them and not get bigger. The first change might be breaking off the Juniors into their own Worlds again. It was premature doing that maybe 10-15 years ago. And there has been some discussion about having a Worlds specifically for MPO and FPO only. But I think that might not happen until they can get a sponsor providing enough cash to make that event worthwhile.

What is the player pack expected to be this year? Also I notice it's 7 days so is every division going to play every day? How much does it cost?

~OR~

Where can I find out about all this stuff. Not sure where to look.

Just trying to get an idea so I can decide if I want to participate in next years event.

Mixed doubles really the Saturday before? Couldn't it be a little closer like Monday? Not sure I can afford 7 nights, is there a chance of getting a refund if that's the case?

Mixed Doubles and Field Events are always on that Saturday and Sunday, usually in that order. Typically, Monday is a practice day with the Player Meeting at night.

Latest posts