• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 Am Worlds...Minneapolis

Funny, I was thinking about getting a PDGA membership after almost 20 years of holding out, and playing AM Worlds for the first time. But looks like it might fill up beforehand. Ah well. I also didn't realize that I'd have to take a week off work just to play, so it probably wouldn't have mattered.

So for the doubles event the Saturday beforehand... do you have to be a PDGA member to play?

The doubles event at BRP on July 19th is not sanctioned so no PDGA membership or fee involved. It's Bring your Partner with no Pro or Junior divisions.

I would suggest tightening the criteria to get in.

I would agree with this. 200 points for MM1 is too low. Should be 300.
MG1 should be 100-150 (it's 50 now, right?).

I think rating minimums in each division for the first wave of registrations could be possible.

Chuck, Mixed Dubs is only $50 per team? If I paid for our team when I signed up, the gf doesn't also have to pay when she signs up correct?

Yes. I haven't seen the doubles registration. I would think it asks who your partner is. She also has to be a current PDGA member and have passed the officials test but doesn't have to be playing singles.

No shuttles. Mike plans to get some sort of ride sharing online message board underway in July.

No shuttles. Mike plans to get some sort of ride sharing online message board underway in July.

So no shuttles even though most of us are not going to have the ability to have a rental car? Sounds like the message board for ride sharing needs to happen now, not in July. The lack of transportation between venues will most likely cause me to have to drop out which will be absolutely upsetting :-/

the thing is a rideshare can't really be planned now, because you may not know what MA1 division you will be playing in, and where you will be playing after the re-shuffle.

If shuttles aren't an option, then a ride share closer to the time is a good solution, doing it right now is just too early.

I know shuttles sound like a helpful concept and Worlds hosts sometimes talk about it long before the event. Then, when it gets to the nitty-gritty details, the challenges loom. Shuttles have been tried a few times in the past but have mostly failed. It's either too expensive to contract with a provider or when provided, not enough players used them. Players always want them provided even if there's a fee. But most end up finding other free options, so the shuttles rarely get used enough to cover the cost and effort.

There are always some sort of schedule glitches and unexpected delays during the week that can mess up any schedule. Then, the hosts get blamed for not being able to foresee that when players get stranded. Worst case, combine with others to share a cab on a day when your ride sharing options fall through. This is a major metro area with cab service to the various sites. I'll ask Mike about getting that sharing site going before July to get that underway.

So no shuttles even though most of us are not going to have the ability to have a rental car? Sounds like the message board for ride sharing needs to happen now, not in July. The lack of transportation between venues will most likely cause me to have to drop out which will be absolutely upsetting :-/

I'm kinda of lucky as a MS1 travelling with two FA1s. We play the same course 5 of 7 rounds -- lucky in other ways too ;)

What division are you in? Since we're all from the Northwest, maybe we can work something out for the sake of liquid sunshine solidarity :)

(don't know if you play it, but we're also going to miss this year's Huk for Independence :()

Whoa there General! Don't jump off that ledge, please! Things will be all okay in your life, we'll get you someone that can help. So just just back away from the edge, and everything will be just fine.

Sure sounds like a first world problem you got there...kinda like this one:

3ddea35a56fdfdbca45e3953fcee6f3ddffbfec94d328e450a7fca5e90f1c1f2.jpg

Hope you survive man.

I just checked and Enterprise rents cars from some its Twin Cities locations to drivers as young as 18 but not the airport location where you need to be at least 21. Yes, there's a young driver fee that appeared to be about $75 extra per week. It would be worth it to get the shuttle from the airport to your hotel/motel or even take a cab if necessary. Then, the Enterprise in Inver Grove Hts would pick you up and drop you off from your motel presuming it's one of the ones that are part of Worlds. But there are other Enterprise sites around town that are likely close to wherever you would be staying.

Last edited:
Whoa there General! Don't jump off that ledge, please! Things will be all okay in your life, we'll get you someone that can help. So just just back away from the edge, and everything will be just fine.

Sure sounds like a first world problem you got there

Dunno how you're set financially, but travel & lodging from Portland is more than $1000, even with shared lodging. A rental car is another $250-300. Probably will need some food and other day-to-day stuff while we're there, so adding it all up we're looking at an outlay in the $2K range.

I don't know about you, but that's a lot of money for some of us. I'm not saying it's not worth it, only that yachts aren't involved. ;)

Latest posts