• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 Am Worlds...Minneapolis

They are made from cheap plastic, probably cost 5 bucks tops. How can they get away with such horrible trophies when the event was TROPHY ONLY?!??

You may not like them, but you definitely haven't priced trophies lately.

trophy only for am worlds is a joke . and to have cheap plastic trophys on top of it. just sad

Pro's need the Am's but the Am's dont need the pro's . I am fine with the TD taking out money from the Am's Buyin to make there purse bigger, but to listen to pro's act like we dont deserve a payout just make you look stupid. as we all know it isnt cheap traveling to tournament all over the country,and every yr we listen to "pro's" continue to say that trophy only is how it should be. GO F YOURSELF..

Pro's need the Am's but the Am's dont need the pro's . I am fine with the TD taking out money from the Am's Buyin to make there purse bigger, but to listen to pro's act like we dont deserve a payout just make you look stupid. as we all know it isnt cheap traveling to tournament all over the country,and every yr we listen to "pro's" continue to say that trophy only is how it should be. GO F YOURSELF..

lol....you clearly don't have a clue how tournaments are run. Money from AM worlds isn't used to augment the Pro worlds purse.

Amateurs by definition should not be getting any kind of payout. Disc golf has bastardized the term "amateur" and bred this sense of entitlement they now have.

Last edited:
you clearly are a bandwagon sports fan- valley of the sun is clearly not in seattle. and LOL @ non of the money goes to the pro's payout. i would LOVE to know where the money goes. how does Nate doss win worlds in Santa Cruz and make 5500 and then in 2012 when Mcbeast wins and at that time its the biggest payout with 100k in funds he wins i believe 5000 and last yr i believe 4500 .. PDGA is sure making out like bandits- the pdga needs to get there act together and start paying out the pro's - get real sponsors and stfu to any pro's that continue to say that Am's dont deserve a payout

you clearly are a bandwagon sports fan- valley of the sun is clearly not in seattle. and LOL @ non of the money goes to the pro's payout. i would LOVE to know where the money goes. how does Nate doss win worlds in Santa Cruz and make 5500 and then in 2012 when Mcbeast wins and at that time its the biggest payout with 100k in funds he wins i believe 5000 and last yr i believe 4500 .. PDGA is sure making out like bandits- the pdga needs to get there act together and start paying out the pro's - get real sponsors and stfu to any pro's that continue to say that Am's dont deserve a payout

Yes, I couldn't possibly be from Seattle. Not really sure what that has to do with anything. I guess you're just trying really hard to be insulting. Coming from a Raider fan, I don't find that surprising.

I would explain how payouts work, but you would rather have a red herring argument, so I'm not going to waste my time.

They are made from cheap plastic, probably cost 5 bucks tops. How can they get away with such horrible trophies when the event was TROPHY ONLY?!??

Yeah, you haven't priced trophies lately.

I did etched acrylic trophies like those a year ago. Smaller in size and no base and the cheapest I found was $15 a piece. Something as big as that appears to be, with the base...easy $20-25, maybe more.

lol $20-$35 your acting like these cost $100s of dollars.. in which they should when you do trophy only garbage

A couple of things:

We who put on the tournament are putting together that list of what to do and what not to do, as has been suggested. Kalamazoo and any future TD's can learn from this.

The top item on what worked was that the phrase "World Championships" gets the cities excited. More was done for the courses this year than would normally happen in 5 or 10.

On the list of things to do differently, we found that parks and grants cannot react quickly enough to get all the improvements done in the cycle between a bid being approved and the date of the event. Perhaps the bid date could be moved back.

So, some course improvements are still in the works. Cities are starting to add Guide Signs out on the road to point disc golfers to the course, more signage on the course, better definition of fairways, and - we're hoping - permanent marking of OB. Yes, white bricks or concrete and the like.

While I acknowledge as valid the concerns of most of those who voiced complaints, as a member of the core team I've stayed away from publicly stating that I agreed with any particular complaint. That wouldn't seem right, somehow. Yet, that lack of commenting seems to have come across as dismissive.

I do take responsibility for the tee sign distances being off on a few holes at Oakwood. That made me sick when I saw it. It was just human error, but one item on our list will be ways that it could have been prevented.

A couple of things:

We who put on the tournament are putting together that list of what to do and what not to do, as has been suggested. Kalamazoo and any future TD's can learn from this.

The top item on what worked was that the phrase "World Championships" gets the cities excited. More was done for the courses this year than would normally happen in 5 or 10.

On the list of things to do differently, we found that parks and grants cannot react quickly enough to get all the improvements done in the cycle between a bid being approved and the date of the event. Perhaps the bid date could be moved back.

So, some course improvements are still in the works. Cities are starting to add Guide Signs out on the road to point disc golfers to the course, more signage on the course, better definition of fairways, and - we're hoping - permanent marking of OB. Yes, white bricks or concrete and the like.

While I acknowledge as valid the concerns of most of those who voiced complaints, as a member of the core team I've stayed away from publicly stating that I agreed with any particular complaint. That wouldn't seem right, somehow. Yet, that lack of commenting seems to have come across as dismissive.

I do take responsibility for the tee sign distances being off on a few holes at Oakwood. That made me sick when I saw it. It was just human error, but one item on our list will be ways that it could have been prevented.

One thing that sticks out to me regarding the trophy only and players pack is the lack of communication to set the proper expectation. I think if the trophy only had been very well communicated from the start (prior to signups) it would have mitigated a lot of complaints. Same thing with the players pack. I know this one is harder as you don't know what company may step in and kick in a bonus - but a general expectation beforehand would help. Especially at a tourney of this level players have high expectations and setting them properly will help. Even just knowing X discs, shirt, etc. helps a lot. Obviously the specifics have to wait but you can set the basics up. And on a bonus, if you advertised X discs and another company kicked in extra later - you can add that as a bonus and players will be even happier to get X+1.

Obviously you aren't going to make everyone happy, but when they know beforehand exactly what to expect you are much less likely to run into these issues.

Obviously you aren't going to make everyone happy, but when they know beforehand exactly what to expect you are much less likely to run into these issues.

But everyone should have known beforehand without the need for any extra announcement. As was stated by the PDGA over a year ago, and has been stated in this thread, this is the new standard for Am Worlds. Beginning last year in Emporia, Am Worlds is trophy-only forever more.

Next year, even if the flyers before registration don't mention it, it should still be expected. The TD can't be blamed for expecting tour officials (which everyone in a A-tier is) to be aware of the PDGA standards for this tournament.

Getting a trophy is for amateurs.

I don't know the TD or anyone who helped run Worlds, I didn't attend, I only know a couple of people who did attend, and I haven't spoken to them since they've been back. I don't have a dog in this fight. Just an impartial observer who expected it to be trophy only without reading any of the pre-tournament propaganda, because Am Worlds is a trophy-only tournament now. It is written. I don't understand how golfers experienced enough to attend Worlds don't know this.

But everyone should have known beforehand without the need for any extra announcement. As was stated by the PDGA over a year ago, and has been stated in this thread, this is the new standard for Am Worlds. Beginning last year in Emporia, Am Worlds is trophy-only forever more.

Next year, even if the flyers before registration don't mention it, it should still be expected. The TD can't be blamed for expecting tour officials (which everyone in a A-tier is) to be aware of the PDGA standards for this tournament.

The bolded part is my point. Now I'm not sure WHO is to blame as I wasn't involved in the process, but as you said - everyone SHOULD know beforehand - yet everyone didn't. This is why the communication is key - early and often.

Heck - I played a trophy only c tier recently and I saw that clearly laid out on the tourney info page, on the signup page, and in all advertisement I saw - IN BOLD. I didn't mind the trophy only - but I clearly knew that was the case. You can't expect the average (am player especially) to know that last years am worlds was trophy only and assume this was as well.

I beileve the statement last year was, "We're going to try an experiment called True Amateur... blah blah blah... and see how it goes." I don't believe it was ever written in stone. If so then the payout tables should've been changed and when last I checked, "Trophy Only" was not an option.

If this is the standard, then make the changes and publish them. I don't recall anything stating that the Emporia experiment was the new standard. It worked in my opinion... and DD usually gets away with not following the payout schedules already. I'm sure the payout this weekend in KC will be about 17% deep which doesn't exist in any PDGA guideline. But none of the over 200+ folks will complain because for $50, we're getting probably close to $120.00 player pack... plus a player party!!

Has anyone yet to mention that the player party at at Am Worlds was an ADDITIONAL $25.00?? And that wasn't communicated at all until you asked... Never paid for a player party at any NT- or B- or even C-tier event and I chose to skip at Am Worlds too. I wonder how many beer glasses they have to unload...

Worked because DD is also a manufacturer. Much harder for a club to follow suit.

would love to see how much of you keyboard badasses would say this stuff in person to the TD

I wonder how many beer glasses they have to unload...

I would buy one of the pint glasses from them. I don't drink beer but the glass was pretty nice looking. I'd pay $5 new, unused, shipped and only if it got to me in one piece. Maybe I am asking too much.

Latest posts