• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 Am Worlds...Minneapolis

I also thought the player pack was right in line with other tournaments I've played. A typical B-tier gives out a shirt, two discs and a small pile of stuff (minis, koozies, stickers etc.) for a $50 - 60 entry fee. At $125 we got about the same, although a personalized shirt, one unreleased and one just released disc, plus prizes for top of card (on most courses) certainly met the stepped up expectations for a NT pack. It's just that DD gave out so much last year that expectations will be out of line for years in the future.

In all honesty, the biggest negative thing that'll stick with me from Am Worlds was that Discraft didn't limit the qty of Buzzz OS you could buy at their table during the flymart. They sold out in 15 minutes (250 discs, maybe?) and now DGCR/eBay is flooded with them at silly, silly prices. People were buying stacks of 10-15 at a time.

Kaposia- seemed a little less maintained and like less of the money raised as pay to play went into the course. Also I hate that we did not play the normal layout. I felt that some of the combined holes were not as interesting as some of the holes I saw we weren't playing were. THe throws down walking paths concerned me but these may have been added post installation of the course. The layout we played and the condition of the course I felt it was a 3.5-4 course

The Valley- Was solid. I thought the hole that threw over another holes basket was a little poor for a worlds but it is what it is. The course overall was good would also rate it about a 3.5-4 range. On a side note I was amazed that with hole 11 that Advanced Women played this course. Seemed like a HUGE challenge for that field overall.

from what i know, the valley and kaposia are apart of the same park system. alot of the money raised was used to redesign the valley and make alot of "minor" improvements all around both courses. kaposia 5 years ago compared to today is a huge difference. and every year i go back more has been done. those new teepads are $$, will be awesome when they are all like that.

and i was disappointed with the layout chosen for kaposia as well but thats because i know of other 18 hole layouts that i think are better and show case the challenge that is kaposia. but honestly a few of the normal holes at kaposia are stupid for a tournament of this caliber (holes 2, 3, 9, & 27 come to mind).

I played this year and have no gripes about the players pack. I love the shirt, the Buzzz OS is sweet, as is the TeeBird, and the other discs I'll sell for $5 at my local course to the chuckers.

I do agree that the overall feel of the event was "unorganized" and it pales in comparison to my experience last year in Emporia, but I still had fun.

I don't understand all the whining about the water - and don't bother explaining it to me because you're whining about *free water*. I also don't understand the whining about not playing BRP - you had ample opportunity to play it throughout the week and if we had played it, there would have been sooooo much complaining that we were being forced to drive an hour north to play. At least, I would have complained... :)

And whomever said that the final round at Kaposia was a pressure-cooker and let the cream rise to the top... you're right. I sucked it up big time that final round - I don't play very well when a camera crew is following me. I found myself yanking every backhand shot which I hadn't done all week. I did feel bad for Cody, though. He's a fantastic player and a super-nice guy, but both rounds the camera crew followed him, he struggled.

I liked your FH roller on 1. It would have also been a great choice for the guys playing hole 1 at Como.

On a lighter note.... I got to shoot some photos at Como on Saturday and had a blast doing it. I am sending some in to the PDGA but here are some that didn't make the cut.

Last edited:
I didn't play but it sure looked like a good time. It helped push me to finally join the PDGA (along with all three of my kids) and sign up for the Mad City Open (along with my 11 year-old). That last thing on my mind is what I'll be getting in my players pack.

I would also like to add that the caddy book was not very useful. It did not have pars(nothing else did either) or obs for the various courses and holes. I like to at least have all of that in one central location instead of having print outs for each course.

I would also like to add that the caddy book was not very useful. It did not have pars(nothing else did either) or obs for the various courses and holes. I like to at least have all of that in one central location instead of having print outs for each course.

Without pars and OB information, can it really be called a "caddy book"? That stuff is the whole point of a caddy book, isn't it?

^^ I think about half the field play BRP, but I agree it should have been a priority to get everyone on it. Wasn't there but I am sure the majority of staff/volunteers were great. However, the guy who I assume was the TD, Chuck, was quite a character. One terrible joke after another, it was uncomfortable to listen to.

BRP is waaaaay out of the metro area. Total hassle for people to get to. I think they used it for a Doubles round before the actual tournament though.

I don't think Chuck was the TD of this event.

Thanks for the correction and my apologies to Chuck. I was thinking of whoever was MC of the awards ceremony.

That was Lightnin' Lyle Jensen, co-founder of the Minnesota Frisbee Association in the 70s. He's been the MC for Minnesota events as far back as I can remember.

Standards...

Instead of labelling folks as "whiney" or "greedy" or whatever, I think we should be focussing on what the PDGA sets forth as STANDARDS. Every sanctioned tournament is supposed to follow a set of standards and guidelines published by the PDGA for player pack value, distance between courses, payout structure, etc.

Unless the event materials like caddie book, flyers, handouts, communications during the meetings, etc. EXPRESSLY detail that a deviation from the standards has been granted by the PDGA, I don't think it's illogical for the players to assume that the tournament will run in accordance with the prescribed guidelines. That is, you must have $500.00 added cash to pros in a B-Tier and there are only 3 payout tables to follow, etc.

Because there was no mention of waivers granted for the 2014 Am Worlds, it seems reasonable that folks would expect that vouchers would've been granted to at least 40% of the field (the lowest payout allowed by the PDGA). We can debate about whether or not we should even be granted these vouchers, but for now... IT IS THE STANDARD.

A TD is supposed to get a waiver to have an "island" green because our rules don't allow for a drop zone if you go OB. You should get a waiver to change the payout structure and have Trophy Only divisions.

Our friends over in Emporia often only payout 17% of the field, but in each of those tournaments, the player pack is 200% or more of the entry fee... so we look the other way. When the player pack is more standard, then I don't see it as being whiney when the guidelines are thrown out the window without notification.

There may be a movement or need to change the way we do things, but until any changes are in place, one should reasonably expect that each tournament follow the guidelines that the PDGA has assigned to each tier.

In the case of this Am Worlds which was a PDGA branded and co-run event, a waiver was required to do any kind of payout based on performance beyond Player Packs and "Top of the Card" each day since the standard started last year at Emporia and future Am Worlds is no merch payout as detailed here. In fact, we requested permission to provide the "Made the Cut" minis and the "Made the Sweet 16%" Discs. Our request to provide modest merch payouts for the trophy positions was denied as going beyond the intent of the new True Am format.

All course rules requiring waivers were properly requested and approved by Competition Manager and Head Marshal.

Last edited:
You should get a waiver to change the payout structure and have Trophy Only divisions.

Bull ****ing ****.

PDGA Tour Standards document indicates that amateur payouts must exceed 85% of the net entry fee for C-tiers, 100% for B-tiers, and 110% for A-tiers.

The PDGA Sanctioning Agreement requires TDs to pay a minimum of 45% of the field in each division.

A trophy-only tournament with a players pack that matches or exceeds the net entry fee meets both of those requirements. No waivers necessary.

Players packs = "payout" in the eyes of the PDGA.

OK, so the players pack was not as good as last year.......I can deal with that.

This year was trophy only......That's fine too.

What irritates me is the fact that everyone in the tournament was misled when the statement was made that the winner of each division would receive a basket. There is a HUGE difference between a Mach X and a DGA Mini basket.
As far as the trophies, they were a complete joke! I have never seen a trophy of poorer quality. This is supposed to be the PDGA 2014 Amateur World Disc Golf Championships. I have seen nicer trophies handed out to kids for coming in 3rd at their local pinewood derby! A piece of lexan with a hot stamp is a poor choice for a trophy in my opinion.
I am also curious as to why we needed to sit through a list of 25-30 names being read off at the players meeting as though they were going to be immortalized into some sort of disc golf hall of fame only to find out that these people still needed to register. I am pretty sure that the whole half hour speech prior to those names being read off dealt with how important it was to follow the rules and to make sure you call someone out when they are breaking one of them. IF two days of open registration from 9am to 5pm isn't enough time then you just lost your spot as far as i am concerned. I wish i would have left this MANDATORY meeting (the only purpose of this meeting was to allow the big shots to pat themselves on the back) when the first half of the group walked out! :doh:

Minnesota has some beautiful disc golf courses, it's a shame that this run of the mill tournament didn't showcase any of them.