• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 Am Worlds...Minneapolis

If I have played Pro in a PDGA tournament can I play World Am's?

You are classified as an amateur with the PDGA and you did not accept cash in the pro even you played, so I believe you are qualified to play. As I understand it, you, as an amateur, can play in pro events without losing amateur status as long as you don't accept cash.

If I have played Pro in a PDGA tournament can I play World Am's?

http://www.pdga.com/faq

If I accept cash in a Professional division (singles, doubles, team, etc), can I still compete as an Amateur?

Yes and No. You may compete in amateur divisions at A, B, and C Tier events if your player rating falls within the guidelines: http://www.pdga.com/documents/divisions-ratings-points-factors However, you are now classified as a Professional with the PDGA and are ineligible to compete in Amateur Majors such as the US Amateur Disc Golf Championship and Am Worlds.

*Please keep in mind that you may accept prizes in lieu of cash in a Professional division and remain an Amateur.

Question for those who have played in the past - honestly just looking for an overall opinion. I won't qualify points wise for this event as I only joined the PDGA back in June and only played 4 events since then. I've only been playing a little over a year and my rating currently is 830 - well below those of who will be playing come next summer. I do, however, really want to play this event - my entire family lives in the Twin Cities so it's an easy vacation spot with free lodging. I'm also expecting my rating to continue to improve throughout the start of the new year.

Anyway, is there resentment from the players who qualify towards those who just register? I wholeheartedly know that I'll be on the weaker side of the competition but really am interested in the experience. Plus, it's tough to find other reasons not to go (I work at a high school - I have the summer off, always good to get out of AZ in the summer, awesome disc golf, free lodging etc etc). Truly I think my goal would be to not finish DFL. Anyway, just curious as to what the consensus is out there concerning the weaker players in the field? Thanks!

Question for those who have played in the past - honestly just looking for an overall opinion. I won't qualify points wise for this event as I only joined the PDGA back in June and only played 4 events since then. I've only been playing a little over a year and my rating currently is 830 - well below those of who will be playing come next summer. I do, however, really want to play this event - my entire family lives in the Twin Cities so it's an easy vacation spot with free lodging. I'm also expecting my rating to continue to improve throughout the start of the new year.

Anyway, is there resentment from the players who qualify towards those who just register? I wholeheartedly know that I'll be on the weaker side of the competition but really am interested in the experience. Plus, it's tough to find other reasons not to go (I work at a high school - I have the summer off, always good to get out of AZ in the summer, awesome disc golf, free lodging etc etc). Truly I think my goal would be to not finish DFL. Anyway, just curious as to what the consensus is out there concerning the weaker players in the field? Thanks!

This was my goal in 2010. Thanks SmoothSailor for being the single finisher to do worse than me :p

Don't worry about rating or points or anything else. As long as there's spots left when they open registration to those who didn't qualify on points, you're good to go.

With a Novice/Rec rating going in, you're not likely to be on a card with serious players, except MAYBE for the first round. I doubt even then you'd feel any animosity. Go and have some fun!

I have been the weaker play 2 times and the first year i surprised myself shot better than my rating every round but one and very nearly made the top pool. The second year i played horrible and very nearly finished in the bottom 10 percent of the field. Both years I had a great time and was very glad I went. The nice thing is you will get to play with people who are doing as well as you are after the first round. Just go for the event and if you play well it is just a bonus....you will have a blast either way.

You'll have a blast, whatever your rating. A nice touch at Emporia was every card winner each round won a disc, so whatever your standing there was incentive to play well every round.

I was a non-invitee last summer at Emporia and it was an amazing experience. I told quite a few people that I had only been playing for 8-9 months and got only respect and made quite a few friends that I hope to see again this year. Just find a way in man. Once registration opened up I was on the computer right away and got a slot out of 25 or so left. I was the 5th or 6th lowest rated player in my division out of 90 players and finished in 49th place. It's a great event and will really help your game watching other good players. Good luck and see ya there!

It doesn't even matter, the players that finish towards the top are going to regardless and are worried about their game, not yours. Just use etiquette, and remember the rules, don't be afraid to speak up if you think something isn't right, if your wrong, so be it and no one should make a big deal about it. I played this past year, did very well minus one round. I only played with one sub 900 player and that was the first round of day one, and personally did not mind at all. There will always be that one douche who may make a big deal about it but its not even worth paying attention to and I didn't run into a single person that was upset because someone that wasn't invited participated. It is expected with open signups and it being Amateur worlds that some people are there solely for the experience.

Last edited:
Local players in the Twin Cities...what are some good comedy clubs in the area? I have a friend who is planning to play (as am I) this year, but he is also a comic and is hoping to get a set or two in during the week. Anyone have any hook ups?

Local players in the Twin Cities...what are some good comedy clubs in the area? I have a friend who is planning to play (as am I) this year, but he is also a comic and is hoping to get a set or two in during the week. Anyone have any hook ups?

Can't help you with the clubs there, but would love to play on a card with your friend. A good sense of humor is an awesome addition to any round. And the way I play, he might benefit too. I sometimes provide great comic material.

Inadvertently, of course! :eek:

Tons of open mic stuff in MPLS. Acme is THE club but bars all over have gigs different.days of the week. Check out citypages.com /comedy events..

Worlds is more about the experience of the event itself. Sure there are some people who are competitive and have dreams of winning it all, but I have never had a card in the last two years at worlds that hasn't been about the experience. Think of it more as a disc golf convention that just happens to have the biggest tournament of the year happening at the same time. No one will really care how well you do besides yourself. No resentment. On the other hand, it can be pretty tough to get in these days without qualifying. Be sure to sign up as soon as you can. Odds are there will already be a waitlist. The last two years Am Worlds has filled before open registration comes around. That is not to say that people do not get in off the waitlist, but this is exactly how they have gotten in without qualifying.

I guess the question would be if you care to impress those better players or not. With as many rounds as you are going to get, as the tournament progresses you will be ever filtered closer and closer to those of like ability. This should definitely make the second half of your tournament even more enjoyable as you will be able to relax, have a good time, genuinely cheer each other on as you make good shots (in comparison of those you are playing with), and can joke around with each other when you make those bad shots.

Maybe in the early rounds you might be paired with those who are taking it ultra seriously. They may be less apt to goof around. Some may even believe they are will be playing down to your level (that is why people play up, thinking they will arise to their competition) and that you are bad mojo. I think these people are few and far between, and definitely you should not see them after the first round. During the second round you may be carded with someone who thinks they are incredibly good but had a horrific first round. They are probably going to be sourpusses for the rest of the tournament. Nothing you can do about those people. By the third round you will be with those of your ability, again giving you a great chance of being paired with people who are truly in it for the tournament experience.

So, I would say that if you have no illusions of winning, go into those first two rounds with a smile on your face, do not let your bad shots get you down - especially if someone else on your card is lighting it up, and let people know right away that you are in it for the experience.

As for the majority of Minnesota players, we can be a competitive lot, but I have seen some top-notch type of ambassador players at both the top and the bottom of the standings.

i want to go to AMs this year. I am going to try to play a few rounds in tournaments. i have my new pdga # for xmas and cant wait to start throwing.

We are planning for the largest field ever (300+) for Advanced this year so I would be shocked if it was full before open reg.

On the other hand, with over 1,000 Ams within 75 miles, I'd be shocked if it didn't fill up soon after.