• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 Am Worlds...Minneapolis

Why did they change the qualify system? If I remember right you needed at least 1000 pts to qualify up until a few years ago. Then they changed it to 500? You can get 500 pts pretty easly, by finishing in the middle of the pack at an A tier or placing at a B tier or two.

I would much rather see the points total requirement be higher than necessarily a rating cap. Someone like me who is constantly hovering between 940 and 925 because of great rounds mixed with an occasional bad enough rounds to lower it are still going to play Advanced instead of Intermediate. I am definitely going to gain some points as long as I played consistent enough over those players who truly have no business playing advanced (outside of having fun and or playing up for the experience), but if that is the only way I am going to make points, then I will definitely need to put in my time in numerous tournaments.

The incentive for me to play better is not to necessarily raise my rating, but to play well in that particular tournament to play better than a majority of my competition. Ratings will likely take care of itself, but if someone who wins with a monster round, they will effectively lower my rating, but compared to the rest of the field I can still do well if I am only concerned about points.

I do see a difference between Intermediate and Advanced, the difference between an occasional bad round or one hole that absolutely destroys a round versus regular inconsistency and multiple holes that blow up in your face. However, I do not think 935 is that number. I would definitely argue that 920 to 925 is a better threshold.

I wasn't suggesting that people under 935 can't compete. I just don't get how they get to sign up before those that actually meet the rating requirements for MA1. I would like to see it open to those that make the required points and have the appropriate rating get in first. If there are more spots then I am all for anyone else signing up. This tournament should be a competition of the best players in AM that want to compete against the best.

As one of the people who is well below the 935 number, but already signed up and paid (and will be playing) I think this is all complaining from people who didn't take the time to figure out that they needed to sign up quick so now they want to talk smack about the bad players is just sour grapes.

Do I expect to win Am Worlds? **** no. I'm not that good, but I expect to have fun playing with people. And I did what I needed to do to meet the qualifications so I could play.

You want to change the rules moving forward? Be my guest. I doubt I have the time/funds to travel to play in another Am Worlds, at least until my damn wiener kids get old enough to move out and I play Sr. GM or something.

This tournament is for Am's, it's about having fun, and playing at your best, if that is good enough to win, awesome. If that isn't then thanks for playing, enjoy your players pack and please tip the help at the flymart.

The talk about ratings caps seems a bit comical to me given that this is the first time the field has filled up this fast.

And the idea that it would elevate the prestige is also bit entertaining - given that we are talking about the World Championship for the not quite good enoughs. If you want prestige there is another tournament for that. Ratings cap or not, very few people will remember the AM Worlds winners. But those participating will cherish the experience, because it is about a lot of other things than prestige.

The talk about ratings caps seems a bit comical to me given that this is the first time the field has filled up this fast.

And the idea that it would elevate the prestige is also bit entertaining - given that we are talking about the World Championship for the not quite good enoughs. If you want prestige there is another tournament for that. Ratings cap or not, very few people will remember the AM Worlds winners. But those participating will cherish the experience, because it is about a lot of other things than prestige.

:thmbup:

You said that a lot better than I did. well said.

I wasn't suggesting that people under 935 can't compete. I just don't get how they get to sign up before those that actually meet the rating requirements for MA1. I would like to see it open to those that make the required points and have the appropriate rating get in first. If there are more spots then I am all for anyone else signing up. This tournament should be a competition of the best players in AM that want to compete against the best.

This is the main reason I would rather support a points requirement instead of a ratings cap. I played in numerous tournaments last year, more so than any previous year, because I WANTED to qualify for Am Worlds that was going to be in my backward. I played hard, and for the majority of the time played well, but I had a hiccup or two in my rounds that ultimately kept me hovering around 935-930. I spent a lot of money and time ensuring that I not only had the necessary 500 points but that I was well above that in case the rumors of them upping that requirement was true.

I clearly showed a dedication to play in that tournament, that I would represent the community and the spirit of the game. I may very well throw a bad round or two during Am Worlds, but I will also show times of being competitive. Ultimately I will enjoy the experience of the tournament and hopefully just as well by my desire to be there enhance the experience of those who have traveled to be there.

Yes, I definitely would have sour grapes if I had worked so hard to earn my 1600 points by playing well, but not always consistent, to have to wait and possibly lose a spot to someone who may have had one hot round during one large tournament, earned just enough points and had a high enough rating to qualify. They may very well be a good player that would bring a high level of competition to Am Worlds, but my high point total demonstrates that it is a near guarantee that I will bring the desired spirit and dedication to the tournament. That quality, especially in the case of Am Worlds, will likely bring more prestige and credibility to a Amateur tournament than the unknown variable of someone who barely plays who barely qualified.

If there does need to be a tweak to the system, again I would rather see the up in points not rating. While I mentioned that I got in more so on my points than necessarily my rating, if I truly was the kind of player that you would rather have on the waiting list (and no offense to those I am be implying about), no amount of tournaments I could play will earn me enough points if I do not play well. The math based upon the tier multipliers suggests that I would need to consistently beat a dozen or so opponents in upwards of a dozen or so tournaments, especially if we are talking C-Tiers in Intermediate or lower.

Just spoke with Andrew "Big Dog" this morning and with Mike Snelson twice now in the last two days.
There are some ideas floating around to try and solve the problem of so many people on wait lists.
I have no " sour grapes " complaints about the ratings requirement being higher - because I am well below 935 :)...and still on a wait list for MM1. I do have some serious complaints about shutting out people who want to play and had absolutely no idea this would fill so quickly. I was worried about vacation time, people to watch my house, booking and paying for the trip and logged on last week and found myself on a waiting list with no real shot of playing in my division or in MA1.
It's totally my responsibility to anticipate and sign up early. I am famous out here in the Sierra Tahoe Series for being in the first 5-10 to sign-up for an event. I was amazed that MA1 and MM1 filled so fast and so was the TD and the PDGA.

They should find a way to put a cap on registration now and get the wait list players into the tourney. There is talk of a new course being added but its a slim chance. Also talk of a new course being built and used in the tournament...that would be sweet. There are large DG and corporate sponsors that are willing to help make this happen...but might not be in time. There is talk of running 2 rounds per day in 4 hour blocks on some courses 8am/12pm/4pm etc. Also talk of having 5 in a group which does suck sometimes and will probably be voted down by the PDGA because it ruins the "product" they are trying to build for a Worlds Tournament and I kinda agree with that. I would be willing to play in a 5-some and play fast with the others on the wait list in order to compete though!!

I hope they find a solution...I really do. Points requirements for MM1 is 200 I think and I had 740 last year. I don't know what the rating requirement should be for MM1 either. This isn't Pro Worlds it's Am Worlds and I am really disappointed to not be able to play with my friends after I've already paid for and booked the trip(my fault completely I totally understand that). Last year in Kansas there were I think 20+ spots left and I don't know if any other Am Worlds has filled up this fast. If it wasn't anticipated by the PDGA they should try hard to solve this one and work out better parameters for next year in Kalamazoo, MI.

Chain,
I am sorry you didn't get in. But the forecast for an early fill up for the older end of the age-protected divisions was easy call to make. Very easy.

If memory serves; In Charlotte both MM1 and MG 1 filled during the invited enrollment. 72 was hit rather quick, but with the options for multiple Charlotte courses, both divisions were able to add half a pool -- up to 108 (MM1 may have been more, dunno)

In Emporia; MM1 filled in about 4 days, and MG1 filled in about 2 weeks. And yes, I made it in again. Once again, I don't remember what happened to the young children in MM1, but we ended up with 5-somes and capped at 90 with MG1. BTW, there was no such thing as a quick round. More like chickens baking in the sun for 3+ hours. I guess that solution took 18 folk off the wait list -- but then we all had to "wait".

This year I sat at the computer until midnight to sign up. And shor-enuff --- MM1 filled in 24 hours and MG1 filled in about 36 hours.

Saw it coming. Yep, our sport is growing older. I hope I am around to watch it get "worse". :)

Ron Pittman

Last edited:
Thanks Ron,

Yes, I was at Emporia as a non invitee last year and baked in the wind and sun with you. There were 28 spots left when it opened up to non-invitees and I left my son's game to go home and sign up. MM1 was supposed to be 90 and I think we had 84-85 final players (I placed 45th not bad for only playing about 7 months). So after sneaking in last year, it was not an easy call for me to see this coming at all. Ahh well, I've learned my lesson the expensive and hard way. Fortunately, my son's division was open and he'll play and I have lots of family and friends in the area.

We played Jones West the first round and the wind was nuts and the heat index was pushing 115-120 degrees. Lotsa water, finish the round and race back to the hotel pool! Great event and very well run by Ruscoe, Kindy , Reek and the whole DD and PDGA team.

Another course is the best possible scenario in this thing and I wish Mike the best of luck in trying to get that pushed through in time.

Also, guys, in Emporia, they also made mods to get more people in. They moved to 5-somes (even though it was not a popular move), AND they had some courses with 3 rounds a day, 8am -- 11:30am -- 3:00pm.

It's a matter of if they want to do 3 rounds a day with the group in the middle being the group that has only one that day.

The whining about not getting in because you didn't think it would fill so fast is ridiculous, especially out of someone old enough to play in an age protected division, what a dumb argument, sheesh

I hope they don't mess with five somes or three rounds a day. Or even a new course.

Snooze you lose, sign up next year.

Anyone know how to retract your entry from the tournament? I had some stuff come up that I can't put off and I have to drop out :-(

I have been unofficially made in charge of finding volunteers to work Monday through Thursday at Am Worlds. Specifically I am now representing the Cub/ Boy Scout aspect of finding volunteers. Through a generous donation if the Boy Scouts can find 360 shifts of volunteers we will receive a new, fully paid for 18 hole course.

Shifts run from either 8am to 12pm or 2pm to 6pm. Courses to be covered will be Oakwood, The Valley, Kaposia, Kenwood Trails, or Bryant Lake. You can volunteer for any number of shifts and number of days on any course you want. The goal is to fill all 360 spots. Mostly we are looking for spotters, specifically on blind holes, and a few swimmers (most notably The Valley Holes 11 and 13).

All volunteers will receive a t-shirt obviously saying volunteer on it as well as snacks and water to keep you hydrated. Those who volunteer for both shifts on a given day will also be provided a meal. As I am only representing the Boy Scout aspect of volunteers, I cannot speak on anything more regarding compensation, whether there is more to be had or what the thought process was behind it. I am simply looking for volunteers. Again, if we get all shifts filled, we will get a brand new 18 hole course, all expenses paid.

If you are willing to do this, I need a firm commitment as well as your full name, phone number, and preferred shift and location.

^^how long of a notice do you need? i would do some spotting (no swimming sorry) but i would have to give you pretty short notice. i just am getting started in an awesome new job and wont be sure of my schedule until closer

Having spotted for 2012 Worlds I can tell you that it's actually a ton of fun to spot. Get to meet lots of players (all who were appreciative) and watch some fine golf. Get after it volunteers!

^^how long of a notice do you need? i would do some spotting (no swimming sorry) but i would have to give you pretty short notice. i just am getting started in an awesome new job and wont be sure of my schedule until closer

Obviously the sooner the better but I have not been given an actual deadline. As slots fill up, and unfortunately this is not happening very fast, it may be harder to get the preferred shift and or course you may want, but I am sure that they will accept volunteers all the way up to the last second.

Latest posts