• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 Discraft Ace Race

Almost the same rim configuration and feel as a Roadrunner. More stable than a Roadrunner, but that is by far the closest comparison. When powered down it held lines nicely, making it a far better Ace Race disc than last year. We had multiple people with two or more aces. Our winner had 4 with second with 3 and needing the metals for breaking the tie.

When I aired them yesterday at Elm Creek, they flipped easily, but it seemed a very predictable flip. I was getting them out to 425 or more because they flipped up flat and just rode the line almost to the ground. I do not trust my hyzer flipping ability to say that they, or the Roadrunner which I do bag, can or should be my main distance driver. I top out with the Trespass and Sword 390-410. So, getting this out further was awesome, making them worthy of someone who can hyzer flip and or something during a fun round.

you play in the becker one today?

do you work at disc life? st cloud

No. We actually had several members of our league running some aspect of the tournament, so I cannot take full credit for actually running it. In years past I did most of the work but this year between being momentarily unemployed, stuff happening at home, and Am Worlds, I took a huge step back. I still stood out front and did all the talking, but others took care of almost everything behind the scene which included getting gift certificates from Disc Life in Saint Cloud. We also gave away a Colorshift Buzzz, Z Lite Crank, a DGA basket, a beginner's pack of a bag and discs, and a full Discraft basket (forgot which one).

We had our local AR today and while I would have been happier with a mid I definitely got two usable drivers out of the deal. Fun times and a pretty good player's pack made it worthwhile for me. I also realized that the TDs take a lot of crap that they shouldn't have to take.

Still waiting on an understable putter for the ace race like an xd or something. That would be a blast to run at short holes with especially for beginners

Still waiting on an understable putter for the ace race like an xd or something. That would be a blast to run at short holes with especially for beginners
The zepplin wasn't very good for beginners. As understable as it was, they were turning them over constantly.

I think beginners really like these drivers because it gives them the ability to reach those 150+ foot ace runs. This is our fourth year running the Ace Race and when they were putters and mids it was a little more difficult for them to reach several of our baskets even though they were only 150 or so feet. As much as experienced players would prefer to shape lines with slower discs, it is not going to keep drawing in newer players who need that extra speed and glide just to make those holes.

What works best is that we have a disc swap while we are wrapping up the tournament. The newer players stop in and ask questions about discs. They may gravitate towards the pretty discs, but we use the opportunity to educate them more on the sport. I think this does more positive for the sport as a whole than forcing upon newer players a disc that they should learn how to throw but will not give them that instant gratification of making ace runs.

What works best is that we have a disc swap while we are wrapping up the tournament. The newer players stop in and ask questions about discs. They may gravitate towards the pretty discs, but we use the opportunity to educate them more on the sport. I think this does more positive for the sport as a whole than forcing upon newer players a disc that they should learn how to throw but will not give them that instant gratification of making ace runs.

That's a pretty good idea.

----------------

As for the disc itself, I didn't really find it to be a "longer Avenger SS." It's a bit understable, yes, but thrown flat it turns a good bit less than an A-SS IMO. I got a 165 and a 167 and both are about the same.

I haven't thrown them in a field or anything yet, but based on some throws before the Ace Race, they seem like the kind of disc I probably already have.

I love the idea of a swap afterward for new players. I'm pretty set in my ways disc wise, but I still enjoy this type of event where you have to try out a new disc. The Birdie Bash was my favorite even this year, and I had a great time at the Trilogy. These events are for newer players sure, but I always have a good time.
I also think the pack this year is better than last, I use an app on my phone to keep score, so the card last year was cool but not a lot of utility. A towel and a hat, these are things I will use.

That's a pretty good idea.

----------------

As for the disc itself, I didn't really find it to be a "longer Avenger SS." It's a bit understable, yes, but thrown flat it turns a good bit less than an A-SS IMO. I got a 165 and a 167 and both are about the same.

I haven't thrown them in a field or anything yet, but based on some throws before the Ace Race, they seem like the kind of disc I probably already have.

participated yesterday and had a blast.
the disc feels very similar to an avenger ss. for me, when thrown hard and level it has very little turn and finishes with very little fade- laser straight with glide. holds pretty much any line you put it on. i'm liking it :thmbup:

I saw a guy selling his on Facebook that describes this disc as, "flies like either a teebird or a roadrunner" Gave me a chuckle.

Surprised I have not seen more AR14s for sale in the MP. People bagging them or just not bothering trying to sell them.

Surprised I have not seen more AR14s for sale in the MP. People bagging them or just not bothering trying to sell them.

Me also; Missed out this year and would like to try one.

Trilogy Challenge discs were very easy to come by.

if they're like me, they'll be keeping theirs to throw. i'm thinking this disc might be right popular when put into production.

I'll agree with the Roadrunner comparison, similar to an Avenger SS, but with less fade at the end. The prototype will hold the turn longer than what I've seen from the Z Avenger SS I've thrown.

Have to say that the hat and towel make this the best player pack I've ever seen for an Ace Race.