• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 Glass Blown Open

Does anyone else put on as big of a tournament as the GBO? I know there are lots of other huge tourneys but Dynamic seems to do a great job on their part - it's them doing live coverage, not Smashboxx or another entity (nothing wrong with them, just comparing a host doing everything versus outsourcing or relying on another company/individual). can't wait!

USDGC's?

...can't wait for this years GBO! love this event.

I meant is there a tourney that other manufacturers hold that are near as big in terms of player field, coverage, etc. I mean hell, I didn't see that much other than references and short posts regarding the collegiate championships last week.

I meant is there a tourney that other manufacturers hold that are near as big in terms of player field, coverage, etc. I mean hell, I didn't see that much other than references and short posts regarding the collegiate championships last week.

Was it the European Open that was live on national TV?

I meant is there a tourney that other manufacturers hold that are near as big in terms of player field, coverage, etc.
It helps when the manufacturer can use their home base for the event.

I mean hell, I didn't see that much other than references and short posts regarding the collegiate championships last week.
Probably because our "collegiate championships" are a glorified intramural competition comprised of whomever would bother to bring a team at their own expense.

Almost time! The Pro Q & A starts tonight at 7:00 Central :thmbup:.

http://www.dynamicdiscs.tv/pro-panel-q--a.html

I cant wait to see some of the "Live" coverage for this event and watch it as a "re-run" later when I can.

Better yet, we need something worth posting about around DGCR. Getting to be quite boring around here lately...:p. We need some tourney golf to discuss!

Does anyone else put on as big of a tournament as the GBO? I know there are lots of other huge tourneys but Dynamic seems to do a great job on their part - it's them doing live coverage, not Smashboxx or another entity (nothing wrong with them, just comparing a host doing everything versus outsourcing or relying on another company/individual). can't wait!

I guess it depends on your definition of outsourcing. They don't employ (just for example) the media crews AFAIK, it's a paid gig for a local crew. Also Smashboxx is doing live coverage.

Dynamic/Rusco does a good job coordinating large events by intelligently delegating. I think the only person at this point in time that I could put above him (surprise surprise) is Jussi.

That's not to say they're the only two however, lots of other hard working TD's and groups out there that go unnoticed.

Probably because our "collegiate championships" are a glorified intramural competition comprised of whomever would bother to bring a team at their own expense.

Wow, this is one of the more uninformed and insulting posts I've read in a while. Maybe you didn't mean it to be so harsh but just letting you know it comes across that way.

Wow, this is one of the more uninformed and insulting posts I've read in a while. Maybe you didn't mean it to be so harsh but just letting you know it comes across that way.
It certainly wasn't meant in that tone, but as little as the casual disc golfer knows about our so-called "pro" tour, they know even less about collegiate teams. There were 61 teams at NCDGC and probably for every one of them, the journey there was a self financed effort which probably took months of fundraising, much of which takes place in the dark in regards to the disc golf community as a whole. Only on the day that NCDGC started, did I find out that Wichita State had sent a team.

And considering there are more than 120 schools with FBS division football programs, I'm sure there were many other schools that would have liked to have sent a team if there were enough money for it. I'm sorry, but a mix of 61 schools (which vary from Division I NCAA schools to community colleges) sending whomever they could, if they could, isn't all that newsworthy.

College disc golf is light years behind college ultimate (which at least has a championship event that has to be qualified for) in said regard.

a pair of shoes (left and right) a backpack, two shirts (collared and a tee) and three discs a mini and some coupons n vouchers n schtuff

It certainly wasn't meant in that tone, but as little as the casual disc golfer knows about our so-called "pro" tour, they know even less about collegiate teams. There were 61 teams at NCDGC and probably for every one of them, the journey there was a self financed effort which probably took months of fundraising, much of which takes place in the dark in regards to the disc golf community as a whole. Only on the day that NCDGC started, did I find out that Wichita State had sent a team.

And considering there are more than 120 schools with FBS division football programs, I'm sure there were many other schools that would have liked to have sent a team if there were enough money for it. I'm sorry, but a mix of 61 schools (which vary from Division I NCAA schools to community colleges) sending whomever they could, if they could, isn't all that newsworthy.

College disc golf is light years behind college ultimate (which at least has a championship event that has to be qualified for) in said regard.

Except you do have to qualify for the NCDGC, you don't just pay. At our tournament, the Tiger Town Throwdown, we gave out two qualifying spots; I forget all the ways a team can qualify, but they do have to qualify. Now, is that qualifying set up so that a school with a team that wants to go can, welllllllllll, it kind of is. But I do know that our school does provide some money for our team, because we are an actual club sport, on the same level as the club football, soccer, and ultimate teams etc. Now, we did have to fundraise to be able to take three teams, but we are supported by the school.

Now, is the NCDGC on the level of, say, the GBO or Worlds? Perhaps not, and definitely not to the same exposure level. But it is definitely more than just a "glorified intramural contest"

Latest posts