• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 Pro Worlds

Got to play both Deer Lakes and Moraine a few weeks ago. From a design and fairway cutting/implementation standpoint, Moraine is superior. I thought 6 and 10 were great multi-throw holes executed perfectly. Effective landing zones leaving well earned opportunites for clean looks at the second shots. For my likes; Moraine actually has fairways that are a smidge too open/forgiving. Deer Lakes is the opposite; several of the multi-throw holes have lots of smaller/random trees (1, 5, 9 and especially 14) that were left leaving inconsistent or random landing zones for shots. Too many fluke trees.

oh dear lord
who could ever forget this gem

"you see theres this thing we professional disc golfers like...it's called a fairway"

lol so many ridiculous quotes from that tourney out there

Deer Lakes is the opposite; several of the multi-throw holes have lots of smaller/random trees (1, 5, 9 and especially 14) that were left leaving inconsistent or random landing zones for shots. Too many fluke trees.

I can see how you'd say that, especially on 5 & 14, but after you play them a few times there are specific lanes to hit. Some aren't giant lanes, but they are lanes non the less. If I can hit them, any Pro should be able to. 1 & 9 have pretty clear paths to the basket, but I'm a homer.

Deer Lakes is the opposite; several of the multi-throw holes have lots of smaller/random trees (1, 5, 9 and especially 14) that were left leaving inconsistent or random landing zones for shots. Too many fluke trees.

I think if you get a chance to walk those holes backwards you would think diffrently.

I can see how you'd say that, especially on 5 & 14, but after you play them a few times there are specific lanes to hit. Some aren't giant lanes, but they are lanes non the less. If I can hit them, any Pro should be able to. 1 & 9 have pretty clear paths to the basket, but I'm a homer.

None of them were overly hard, they just didn't have effective landing areas that rewarded a accurate drive and punished a poor one. I just didn't see a preferred landing spot or lane to hit. 1, 9 and 14 were more of throw 325' and then see where it lands. If you have a clean gap, your lucky but you can be right on a scrub tree too. 5 is just flukey, don't hit a tree kinda hole. I par'd 1, 5, 13 without too much trouble but could see how the elite would hate the randomness of the landing areas that fail to reward good 1st shots. I bogied 9 with a poor second shot (tried to spike over one of the trees in the open section) and didn't get really lucky on my 4th shot, a threw-and-hope on the wooded section.

None of them were overly hard, they just didn't have effective landing areas that rewarded a accurate drive and punished a poor one. I just didn't see a preferred landing spot or lane to hit. 1, 9 and 14 were more of throw 325' and then see where it lands. If you have a clean gap, your lucky but you can be right on a scrub tree too. 5 is just flukey, don't hit a tree kinda hole. I par'd 1, 5, 13 without too much trouble but could see how the elite would hate the randomness of the landing areas that fail to reward good 1st shots. I bogied 9 with a poor second shot (tried to spike over one of the trees in the open section) and didn't get really lucky on my 4th shot, a threw-and-hope on the wooded section.

This. I loved Deer Lakes but when I did my review I noted all of this and got like 5 emails the same day because I brought up this exact point. Pretty nuts.

Just don't give Flip City 4 stars…

Ten years ago Flip City was a 4.5 and its probably at best a 4.0.

With all of the new courses coming out now its just not the cream of the crop. It just has that legendary status.

It was supposed to be "tongue and cheek" after what you said about your review.

Back on track: from what I've seen of Slippery Rock, it's long links style golf. OB will determine how difficult it will be for Worlds. If they just make the Fairways in bounds, it'll be tough, but the Pros will like it.

It was supposed to be "tongue and cheek" after what you said about your review.

Yeah I picked that up. For some reason I forgot to continue the discussion.

I will say this again though....I am surprised they are only using 4 courses. Won't that limit the field to approximately what it was at Crown Point? Right around 300?

I will say this again though....I am surprised they are only using 4 courses. Won't that limit the field to approximately what it was at Crown Point? Right around 300?

I guess so. I think Linbrook was going to be used when it was on schedule to have 18 baskets in. But politics stopped the back nine from ever getting finished/started. It's a shame because it would have been a great test for the Pros.

if Moraine gets cement teepads, and the tight holes @ deer lakes get cleaned up then there won't be

I don't think the Parks department will let concrete pads be installed at Moraine. I may be wrong.

I don't think the Parks department will let concrete pads be installed at Moraine. I may be wrong.

You may be.
shh.gif

We have to fund the teepads for moraine. Only blue and gold would get done. The base are already set, just need to frame and pour then back fill

Ten years ago Flip City was a 4.5 and its probably at best a 4.0.

With all of the new courses coming out now its just not the cream of the crop. It just has that "legendary" status.

:hfive:
i love getting the hate PMs for giving an honest and well defended opinion.

i love getting the hate PMs for giving an honest and well defended opinion.

I get some pretty hateful messages after my 3.0 Review of Knob Hill.

That is great news!

Concrete at Moraine would be an awesome addition. I have gotten to play that course twice and with Concrete pads that becomes one of the best courses on the east coast.

Thank you for the info so far! Keep it up. I was really looking for as much video as I could get as I live a long ways away. Also any info on things to do in the area would be appreciated.

Latest posts