• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 Pro Worlds

I haven't played Deer Lakes, but I did play Worlds last year. Just looking at it, I would say the eagle in Portland is more impressive. Way more trees in the way, longer (but not uphill), and really awkward footing.

The video does not do the elevation change on this hole justice. That tee shot is VERY difficult to place in the fairway. To get as far as Paul did and to stay in the fairway is an extremely technical shot. Much more difficult than a controlled max D line at Portland. The second shot at Portland did look more difficult because of the technicality however. I say the second shot on hole 3 at Deer Lakes requires more power because it is so far uphill (again, video does not do justice). As for footing, I think both holes have awkward footing on the second shot. Look at how long it took McBeth to get comfortable with his run up before throwing the second shot here.

That being said, there were a lot of birdie 4's on hole 3 at Deer Lakes today. I didn't see as many on hole 17 at Blue Lake. I think Blue Lake doesn't really offer a "safe 4" like smart play on hole 3 at Deer Lakes can offer.

Last edited:
The video does not do the elevation change on this hole justice. That tee shot is VERY difficult to place in the fairway. To get as far as Paul did and to stay in the fairway is an extremely technical shot. Much more difficult than a controlled max D line at Portland. The second shot at Portland did look more difficult because of the technicality however. I say the second shot on hole 3 at Deer Lakes requires more power because it is so far uphill (again, video does not do justice). As for footing, I think both holes have awkward footing on the second shot. Look at how long it took McBeth to get comfortable with his run up before throwing the second shot here.

Yeah, video never seems to capture elevation changes well for some reason. The thing that made the footing difficult at BL was there were a ton of fallen trees and tree stumps every where in the fairway. It seemed as though there wasn't a single decent landing zone. It was absurd. I actually thought it was one of the worst holes of the entire tournament due to how bad the fairway was. Why would you not clear that **** out of there?

Is there a separate thread of Pro Worlds course discussion? Anyway, after watching Round 1 on CCDG and Prodigy and then Round 3 from Prodigy, couldn't help thinking how boring that latter course was. Almost every hole was open, so it turned into a RHBH hyzer-fest :gross: . At least the Round 1 course had obstacles and generally tested your shot arsenal more thoroughly (rollers, fore, backhand, etc.), while the Round 3 put the "easiest shot in the game" through its paces. Anybody else more pro Round 1 course vs Round 3 (haven't seen full video of today's course)?

Is there a separate thread of Pro Worlds course discussion? Anyway, after watching Round 1 on CCDG and Prodigy and then Round 3 from Prodigy, couldn't help thinking how boring that latter course was. Almost every hole was open, so it turned into a RHBH hyzer-fest :gross:
AND they're having the Semi's and Final 9 there, so get ready for even more hyzers!

Is there a separate thread of Pro Worlds course discussion? Anyway, after watching Round 1 on CCDG and Prodigy and then Round 3 from Prodigy, couldn't help thinking how boring that latter course was. Almost every hole was open, so it turned into a RHBH hyzer-fest :gross:
AND they're having the Semi's and Final 9 there, so get ready for even more hyzers!

Nah, just the final 9. Semi's are at Moraine. It makes sense for a final 9 gallery, but I agree.

That being said, there were a lot of birdie 4's on hole 3 at Deer Lakes today. I didn't see as many on hole 17 at Blue Lake. I think Blue Lake doesn't really offer a "safe 4" like smart play on hole 3 at Deer Lakes can offer.

Having filmed both of these eagles, I completely agree with this assessment.

I don't like how Birdie or Die SRU is for the final 9. It just doesn't seem to be the right kind of course to decide the World Champion on. Blue Lake was birdie or die a little bit last year, but you had to make a lot of different shots. If they just play the front 9 for the finals I feel it won't be quite up to snuff. Then again, I should probably shut my mouth until I organize and TD a World Championship.

Is there a separate thread of Pro Worlds course discussion? Anyway, after watching Round 1 on CCDG and Prodigy and then Round 3 from Prodigy, couldn't help thinking how boring that latter course was. Almost every hole was open, so it turned into a RHBH hyzer-fest :gross: . At least the Round 1 course had obstacles and generally tested your shot arsenal more thoroughly (rollers, fore, backhand, etc.), while the Round 3 put the "easiest shot in the game" through its paces. Anybody else more pro Round 1 course vs Round 3 (haven't seen full video of today's course)?

I thought morain looked like a phenomenal course. I don't know jack about the others (getting current on rounds 2 and 3 right now) but Morain is my kind of golf. Hit your line perfectly or get wrecked. I don't care for hyzer fest courses at all. I want my world champion to have proved it in the woods.

I am surprised nobody noticed who is sitting in last place in MPO. (Not counting DNFs)

Our good friend JOE BISHOP!

I thought morain looked like a phenomenal course. I don't know jack about the others (getting current on rounds 2 and 3 right now) but Morain is my kind of golf. Hit your line perfectly or get wrecked. I don't care for hyzer fest courses at all. I want my world champion to have proved it in the woods.

I agree about Moraine/woods but I also think mixing in the open terrain of SRU provides a good contrast in skill and of course presents well on film.

That was the Round 1 course right? Yeah, that surely tested the players better than the open stuff. IMO of course.

Although few of the par-4 holes did seem rather short. I mean, yes, these are the world's best, but even if on a sub-par opening shot, you're almost guaranteed to putt for a birdie (eagle look on a great drive), maybe drop them to a par-3? 117m /383ft par-4, even if through woods, I'd consider that short even for my local course, but this is Pro Worlds. Is it a par-4 just to jack up the scores? -45 looks better than -15 after 5 rounds.

That was the Round 1 course right? Yeah, that surely tested the players better than the open stuff. IMO of course.

Although few of the par-4 holes did seem rather short. I mean, yes, these are the world's best, but even if on a sub-par opening shot, you're almost guaranteed to putt for a birdie (eagle look on a great drive), maybe drop them to a par-3? 117m /383ft par-4, even if through woods, I'd consider that short even for my local course, but this is Pro Worlds. Is it a par-4 just to jack up the scores? -45 looks better than -15 after 5 rounds.

I think these guys make it look really easy on film. 383 seems short for a 4, and it is driveable for an eagle look technically. But those lines are SOOO tight and if you take the eagle line but kick a tree midway down the fairway you are going to be lucky to have a chance to save your par. I haven't played that course, but I play a lot of very similar courses. If the line is tight enough you can have a fair 383 par 4.

Slippy rock is the course that dropped the scores so low.

I don't like how Birdie or Die SRU is for the final 9. It just doesn't seem to be the right kind of course to decide the World Champion on. Blue Lake was birdie or die a little bit last year, but you had to make a lot of different shots. If they just play the front 9 for the finals I feel it won't be quite up to snuff. Then again, I should probably shut my mouth until I organize and TD a World Championship.

The final 9 is holes 1-8 and hole 12 as the finisher. Some challenging holes, especially if the wind is up like it was yesterday. The key is the holes and the facilities themselves are spectator friendly, with room for the gallery to move around (something a lot tougher to do at Moraine).

Also what must be kept in mind is that all the divisions are playing their final 9s on the same course, so they can't really go too crazy making it difficult for the Open division and render it needlessly long and/or difficult for the Grand/Senior Grandmaster (men and women) who have to use the same course.

But what we really need to remember is that these are the very best players in the world. No matter what the course, they're going to make it look relatively easy. They wouldn't be in the final 9 if they couldn't do that. So they're going to rack up "birdies" (which is a somewhat nebulous term since the concept of par is so debatable in our game) regardless of the course. It's silly to get hung up on scores relative to par. They all have to play the same holes and execute whatever shots are necessary. In the end, the winner will have had to play the same 117 holes as the guy who came in second.

I think everyone in Pittsburgh agrees that Moraine and Deer Lakes are much closer to "ideal" disc golf courses than Slippery Rock. SRU is the result of many years of comprise and negotiation and environmental reviews between designer J. Gary Dropcho and the university. It was supposed to be have nine fairly open holes and nine wooded holes, but the university changed what land was available.

For the land and constraints that J. Gary had to work with, I'm actually pretty impressed with (1) that the course was as difficult as it was, (2) the number of potentially signature holes, and (3) the interesting greens. Plus, par might even hit close to 1000 rated if it were a little windier.

Playing at Slippery Rock also has the benefit of a reliable internet connection and infrastructure (e.g., the "F as in Frisbee" dorms) necessary for worlds. Plus, it's spectator friendly for the Final 9 with parking and sight lines. And hopefully the course continues to spark student interest and engage the university community.

I can't imagine trying to cram a worlds sized gallery in/on/around some of the fairways at Moraine, judging from the film.

So it it me, or does Master's just not have the same draw without a Schultz vs. Climo showdown?

So it it me, or does Master's just not have the same draw without a Schultz vs. Climo showdown?

Its not just you.

So... anybody else notice Uli's lack of step putting? Did the internet foot fault Nazis get to him or what? :popcorn:

Latest posts