• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 United States Disc Golf Championship

What does everyone think about this new design on Hole 1? Heard this on SmashboxxTV, and this is the pic from the caddy guide. They added hazards on both sides of the pin.

Hole-1-web.jpg
It's also longer 248' vs. 224'

so, you land in the hazard off the tee, it's spotted at the entry point? putt for 3? meh seems a bit like made up rope maze. if they like it i suppose they can add a pond if it's at the bottom of that hill... i think it's a great hole 1 as is, tightish mid or putter line dead straight down to the pin. i guess if the rope maze is to figure out a permanent obstacle i'm ok with it, although i would think you do the experiment some other time, not at USDGC.

Are you at all familiar with the USDGC? there are ropes on almost every hole. It's a ropes course, that's kind of its whole deal. There aren't enough obstacles out their to have a real test of skill any other way

I find it a strange one as as far I can see it with the hazards looking very close to the basket it would have no change on the decision making off the tee.

Go for it and you have the chance of a 1, 2, normal 3, hazard 3 or worst likely outcome a hazard missed putt 4.

Layup and then go up with the second shot, at best an unlikely two, probably a 3 but with the left right slope of the land just as likely a slide/skip or tip and roll into the hazard for a 4 or 5.

Be interesting to see how it plays out though as the caddy books never give a great idea of how close the Hazard will actually be to the basket. The closer in the more tempting going for it off the tee becomes as you might as well go for it and putt for a likely three from the Hazard. If the Hazards start more than 10 meters either side then it makes for a more interesting decision on the tee as you would back yourself to make the three everytime with a layup/approach/putt but going for the 2 could result in a 4.

Hard to say as the scale isn't great, but it seems to me that you could play it short and still have a 20-40 footer for bird.

I think it needed to be longer for a while but I have seen more bad shots land behind or in the bush up by the road about 40 feet from the target to the left more than any other spot. The hazards by the target may come into play from putts more than drives possibly.

I think I heard they lost a large tree on hole 1 this year as well, down to the right of the green maybe(?) might have made it easier to hit the green, and had something to do with this change.

Yes a very large tree fell on the green. Can't remember which one it was but I'm pretty sure it made the old position much easier

They haven't had any kind of competitive disc vendor tents (FlyMart) for the past few years, but they will often have artists and a few niche vendors.
The Pro shop will almost always have some new collectibles for sale. Either some limited runs or some hard-to-find stuff.
They will also have some Roc Fundraiser discs.
The other nice thing is that the selection in the Pro Shop is unparalleled. If you want a lightweight pink Destroyer with a silver stamp, you'll likely find it, and they re-stock often. They'll also have a lot of other stuff in the Pro Shop, like shirts, hats, jackets and other apparel as well as stools, umbrellas, etc.
Pretty much everything Innova makes will be there. The East Coast warehouse is 10 minutes away and if they don't have something in the Pro Shop, just ask them. I believe most of the Pro Shop guys are Innova employees.
They did stock Legacy last year, as well.
I never come away from USDGC empty-handed.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info, can't wait to check out the selection. I'm finding myself bagging 95% Innova so I'll need to write up a wish list so I don't get overwhelmed. There are at least 10 molds I either want to try for the first time or try in a different weight/plastic.

Nate Sexton gets my vote for taking down the title this year. He is about to pull a "Brinster" and peak at the right time!

Nate Sexton gets my vote for taking down the title this year. He is about to pull a "Brinster" and peak at the right time!

If Jason Day shows up for Monday qualifying, I will take him. He has to be sick of kicking everyone's behind on the PGA Tour.

One thing I am noticing on hole 1 is how crucial the putt is going to be from the hazard areas. again we can't really see the scale but it will be interesting to see how it plays out. the hazard area to the left of the basket is higher than the basket and sloping down to the hazard area on the right of the basket. for RHBH (predominant shot on that hole) the left hazard will probably be a popular place. especially for the performance flight. Find yourself there and you are looking at a down hill putt usually with wind off the pond and staring directly at the hazard area on the other side of the basket, with roll away potential for any put drawing metal but not going in. I see a possible high percentage for some bad breaks on the first hole of someone's round.

Ugh. All this media rights crap is so cart before the horse it's not even funny.

More content = better. We are way to early in this game to start restricting media rights for people who are willing to film

Actually, I think I stand corrected. JT was on Smashboxx tonight, I didn't catch the whole announcement, but it sounds like they're going to have a pretty awesome set up with a lot of the usual suspects involved.

^I didn't catch any of it, but that's good news.

I assumed Terry et al would be relegated to 'category 3' and filming from spectator area and not bother at all.

I missed it, too. What was the upshot of all of it? It'd be great if we could get multiple livestreams going. DGP, Smashboxx, DD, Viridisk and Latitude :p

Smashboxx will be doing live round coverage of the final 2 rounds which will air on the SpiTV Channel. Jomez Pro will be there filming in some capacity. The Disc Eye will also be there filming in some capacity and it sounds like there is going to be a short 10-15min recap show by SpinTV every night.

Ugh. All this media rights crap is so cart before the horse it's not even funny.

More content = better. We are way to early in this game to start restricting media rights for people who are willing to film

I disagree that it is "cart before the horse". If we continue down the path of letting whoever film whatever unchecked, we'll reach a point where it will be a harder fight to start limiting access/rights at events and we might not be able to put the paste back in the tube.

Spin18's goal is to monetize media rights at some point (obviously we're not there yet in the US). Monetizing media rights = bigger purses. You can't do that if everyone and their brother can come in and broadcast with no limits.

I'm sure there are folks who think it's never going to happen. But it definitely can't happen if we don't leave the door open for it.

And perhaps before we leap to conclusions, we should wait to see what actually happens with the USDGC coverage.

Latest posts