• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 United States Disc Golf Championship

Four things.

1. Always a headwind
2. You have to get it there in the air due to the hay bales.
3. Lower ceiling that it appears
4. Uncomfortable distance (240-270 downhill). Perfectly between a putter and a midrange for most players.

Got it. Makes sense. I wasn't tuned into the ceiling in particular. I'm also a leftie, which seems like it might help a lot.

[sorry if I missed this upstream--you can't search for "hole 17," just "hole"]

How (objectively/physically) hard is hole 17? It looks easy enough on paper to this noob. What's tricky about it besides the high-stakes choke factor?

Its pretty hard. The right side pin location is pretty easy, the left one is a lot harder. All of the things the above poster mentioned are true. The haybales really complicate it. It needs to be high enough to clear the hay bales, but then it has to drop down and come to rest very quickly in a short space.

How (objectively/physically) hard is hole 17? It looks easy enough on paper to this noob. What's tricky about it besides the high-stakes choke factor?

Four things.

1. Always a headwind
2. You have to get it there in the air due to the hay bales.
3. Lower ceiling that it appears
4. Uncomfortable distance (240-270 downhill). Perfectly between a putter and a midrange for most players.

It's probably 30' drop, and the green bordered by the hay bales is not directly in front of the tee, but set to the right.
The far right of the green is protected by a tree.
If you come in hot, you're likely to go into the water.
If you come in soft, often you can't get over the bales or you'll be short..
If you pull it too hard to the right, there are some bushes to the right of the tee that will catch it.
If you leave it out left, you're going to miss the fat part of the green.
Last, you can't see it, but there is also a ceiling to the opening, that is protected by netting, so you can't throw a thumber or tomahawk.
Watch Paul's shot, coming in straight and letting it settle on the green is the shot, but so many power players don't have that shot in their bag.
I'm a lefty, and I lay up, and I still don't make the green on the first try.

The wind is the toughest thing IMHO. If the wind dips your putter over to even a slight anhyzer its going to drop straight out of the sky and come up short.

Hole 1 - the Caddy Book claimed there would be 2 hazards surrounding the pin. Anybody know why they were removed?

About the pace of play, it was waayyy worse on Saturday than Friday for obvious reasons. Also, from my observations on hole five both days, the performance flight guys were way worse than the open guys both days. The reason there were back ups on five were because of the performance flight guys.

One of the side effects of the weather was the huge increase in "Tin Cup" moments on the last fairway segment on five throwing across the water. It seemed like every second or third card had somebody making five throws before they got across. The folks who had just made their drive just stood there watching, waiting on the card in front to clear out. It was a long, wet day.

Yeah. The mando on that hole meant that the ams who didn't have the arm to really throw the shot COULDN'T play a safe around the right side of the foliage. It wasn't really an issue for the pros who have plenty of arm to clear the water although that new right side pin made it more interesting for them.

Yeah. The mando on that hole meant that the ams who didn't have the arm to really throw the shot COULDN'T play a safe around the right side of the foliage. It wasn't really an issue for the pros who have plenty of arm to clear the water although that new right side pin made it more interesting for them.

This made me think, what about making it a "hazard-mandatory" next year. So if you miss the mando you still get to play from where your disc ends up but you take a penalty stroke. Might make is smoother for the ams but still give the pros a reason to go over the water.

It's not that hard of a throw really. I think this hole is all mental - the wind, the water, the bales, the 5 minute walk you just had from 16 to think about it, the potential blow-up to ruin your round .... The key is to commit to your shot that you practiced. I'm 50/50 on first throws the last 2 years, and 100% on second throws. I throw the stable putter RHBH anhyzer to the fat part of the green.

JMKsLaD.png

This is why the hole is hard. That's all you can see of the green from the tee. And you have to land a disc there. Really hard to gauge how much room you have to work with since you just see a tiny sliver of grass that you need to land on. Add wind and the added pressure of making the shot and it's not the easiest hole. Yes, there is a generous bailout area to the right - but it's a blind shot with a big tree guarding it if you go too far right.

Also where is Hatchetharry's vidoes? I know he had to turn in his memory card at end of round but then what happens to it? He was the only one filming the lead card on Thursday.

Also where is Hatchetharry's vidoes? I know he had to turn in his memory card at end of round but then what happens to it? He was the only one filming the lead card on Thursday.

I appreciate those guys getting out there to collect awesome video footage. Maybe they're trying to make up for lost time at their day jobs and can't get to the editing, that would be totally understandable.

If their work is only delayed because of the event media rules.... this is the future of disc golf coverage!! Grow the sport!! :sick: :confused:

I appreciate those guys getting out there to collect awesome video footage. Maybe they're trying to make up for lost time at their day jobs and can't get to the editing, that would be totally understandable.

If their work is only delayed because of the event media rules.... this is the future of disc golf coverage!! Grow the sport!! :sick: :confused:

From my understanding and talking to Jerry (Hatchetharry) that day, he gave Spin his memory card at end of each day and they edited it. I could be wrong since it was his first day filming.-

One draft of the Caddy Book had the hazards on Hole 1. The hazards were not installed for the event and were not in the final version: 2015 USDGC Caddy Book.

Thanks for clarifying! I see that I was looking at the 9/14 "draft". I was hoping that there would be some way to make this hole a bit harder as the bogey % has been typically very low. On the other hand, I'm sure the players appreciate that their starting hole doesn't have to be a nail-biter like most of the others!

What doesn't come through too clearly in that photo is the netting. Above that first branch over the gap there is netting to prevent any thought of trying to punch out an overhand shot or even a spike hyzer type deal. So not only do you have that look from the tee, but you have to land on that seeming sliver of a green throwing a shot that has to come out of the tee relatively flat. It's a lot harder to dial in precise distance when you can't spike the shot in some way.