• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 USADGC

The course has clearly played easier in '14 & '15 than it did in the previous three years, with '11 being the toughest, but '09 & '10 were in-between.

I think 2011 is the year where it poured the first round. I forget what the weather was like for the rest of the tourney - I wasn't there.

Interesting to see the stats like that. Anyway you slice it, it's a tremendous course that can really make you pay for bad shots... better bring your A game.
I'll be honest - I'd say it plays better than it did before. Easier doesn't always make something worse. I think that the course plays much better overall. I've gotta imagine AmNats round times have shrunk, as has the need for as many spotters.

I am curious how the spread looked on a few of them... 4, 9... maybe some others. How many people went above 4 on those holes? I loved back in the day when they had every complete scorecards for every player up on the website.

I'll be honest - I'd say it plays better than it did before. Easier doesn't always make something worse. I think that the course plays much better overall. I've gotta imagine AmNats round times have shrunk, as has the need for as many spotters.

I am curious how the spread looked on a few of them... 4, 9... maybe some others. How many people went above 4 on those holes? I loved back in the day when they had every complete scorecards for every player up on the website.

I still have my rounds from 2013 USADGC in my scorecard app. Here's the round time breakdown for 2013, 2014, 2015:

2013 R1 - 3:50
2013 R2 - 4:12
2013 R3 - 4:00

2014 R1 - 3:12
2014 R2 - 3:19
2014 R3 - 3:34

2015 R1 - 3:38
2015 R2 - 3:43
2015 R3 - 3:31

So the rounds seem to be playing about a half hour faster with the clearing. Last year was definitely the fastest because the olive bushes were cleared just prior to the tournament so the ground was bare and all discs were easy to spot. This year there was a lot of thick underbrush where the clearing was done so it took longer to find errant shots. I know in my group there was a lost disc on 4 that everyone saw land but couldn't find. Judging by the healthy stock of discs at the lost and found table we weren't the only ones with a lost disc.

As for scoring spreads, I'm sure they are definitely lower. I didn't take anything higher than a 5 all weekend this year and aside from hole 2, my only 5s were usually a result of missed putts. Prior to clearing it wasn't uncommon to see 6s and 7s on the scorecards for people. edit - okay, I did take a 6 on hole 2 first round because I 3-putted it.

Last edited:
Last year was definitely the fastest because the olive bushes were cleared just prior to the tournament so the ground was bare and all discs were easy to spot. This year there was a lot of thick underbrush where the clearing was done so it took longer to find errant shots. I know in my group there was a lost disc on 4 that everyone saw land but couldn't find. Judging by the healthy stock of discs at the lost and found table we weren't the only ones with a lost disc.

Roman said it better than I, but that's what I meant when I said the native plants have returned with a vengeance. The regrowth isn't tall enough to affect shot making, but it's more than thick & nasty enough to obscure discs and hamper the search... don't kid yourself, the risk of losing plastic here is still quite high.

Last edited:
Roman said it better than I, but that's what I meant when I said the native plants have returned with a vengeance. The regrowth isn't tall enough to affect shot making, but it's more than thick & nasty enough to obscure discs and hamper the search... don't kid yourself, the risk of losing plastic here is still quite high.

Yep. Last year you could shank your drive and most of the time find it without issues and even have space to run up and throw another drive. This year you had to spend time looking for your disc, and then you were more often than not limited to a stand still throw out of something prickly. Course is playing tougher than last year but yeah still easier than prior to clearing.

I think 2011 is the year where it poured the first round. I forget what the weather was like for the rest of the tourney - I wasn't there.

That is correct, and I'm pretty sure it rained for part of the second day as well.. That was the one year I played and my first time playing in the rain. It didn't go well.

I lived in Arizona for about 4 years and ran into him a few times on the course and at clinics. I always remembered him as the 12 year old who would kick the dirt if he didn't drive 375+ (that was always the way I described him).. looks like he has grown up a bit.

I have been able to watch this kid from his start, having played in the Monday night league at Emerald in Mesa for many years, which is right behind his house. I remember when I used to be able to compete with him too...I do remember when he would kick his bag around and get mad when things did not go well, but I did the same thing when I was 10-11. Luckily, his parents and grandpa helped him kick that real quick. There was one time when I playing with AB and his grandpa and he missed a put and kicked his bag over. Grandpa said nope, that's not how we do things around here and sent him home with head down.

Watch out for this kid. He was basically born in the perfect storm to be great. His parents, grandpa, cousins, etc all play all the time and he can jump his fence (even though we do not jump fences at Emerald) and he'll be in the middle of hole 9's fairway.

I was only spotting hole 2, so I didn't follow him around the course, but he appeared to be pretty composed last year and this year. If you're going to emulate McBeth's game, you might as adopt his composure as well.

True. I'm sure he has gained patience and composure overn the past 3-4 years. I was easily frustrated when I was 11-12 years old also.

I have been able to watch this kid from his start, having played in the Monday night league at Emerald in Mesa for many years, which is right behind his house. I remember when I used to be able to compete with him too...I do remember when he would kick his bag around and get mad when things did not go well, but I did the same thing when I was 10-11. Luckily, his parents and grandpa helped him kick that real quick. There was one time when I playing with AB and his grandpa and he missed a put and kicked his bag over. Grandpa said nope, that's not how we do things around here and sent him home with head down.

Watch out for this kid. He was basically born in the perfect storm to be great. His parents, grandpa, cousins, etc all play all the time and he can jump his fence (even though we do not jump fences at Emerald) and he'll be in the middle of hole 9's fairway.

Awesome, great to hear!

so it looks like AB and David Wiggins have very comparable stats. David as it appears was 15 years and 2 months old when he won the USADGC's back in 2010. Also AB beat Dave's total by 2 shots and even DGCR Maven Chuck Kennedy has stated that the course is playing slightly easier, 1 or 2 strokes, than years past. I hope we will be watching AB come up over the next few years. should be fun to watch his progress.

so it looks like AB and David Wiggins have very comparable stats. David as it appears was 15 years and 2 months old when he won the USADGC's back in 2010. Also AB beat Dave's total by 2 shots and even DGCR Maven Chuck Kennedy has stated that the course is playing slightly easier, 1 or 2 strokes, than years past. I hope we will be watching AB come up over the next few years. should be fun to watch his progress.
Right? Wonder if a 'sidekick' can pop up like Wysocki (although Wysocki's pulled ahead of Wiggins as a pro). Do the other boys have that potential?

What is the best AmNats field in history, in terms of pro earnings and long term spots atop the ratings leaderboards? Top 3-5 fields? Since I think Wig/Socki carry theirs to the top spot.

Right? Wonder if a 'sidekick' can pop up like Wysocki (although Wysocki's pulled ahead of Wiggins as a pro). Do the other boys have that potential?

What is the best AmNats field in history, in terms of pro earnings and long term spots atop the ratings leaderboards? Top 3-5 fields? Since I think Wig/Socki carry theirs to the top spot.

All the kids that were on the lead card have potential. They're all under 18, can bomb 500ft and make putts.

I went back and looked at all of the Am Nats from 2002 through this year. No one year truly stands out, with the exception of 2010 (Wiggins, Socki, and Ben Callaway - who won the next year).

A better question is to go back and look at Am/Junior Worlds and see what the best field was. And there the answer is resoundingly 2004. Just a ridiculous conglomeration of young talent in every single field.

Top four advanced: JJ, Bubis, Brody Miller, Nate Sexton (with numerous other well-known players in the field)
http://www.pdga.com/tour/event/4023

And the <19 and <16 fields were stacked too.
http://www.pdga.com/tour/event/4022

I went back and looked at all of the Am Nats from 2002 through this year. No one year truly stands out, with the exception of 2010 (Wiggins, Socki, and Ben Callaway - who won the next year).

A better question is to go back and look at Am/Junior Worlds and see what the best field was. And there the answer is resoundingly 2004. Just a ridiculous conglomeration of young talent in every single field.

Top four advanced: JJ, Bubis, Brody Miller, Nate Sexton (with numerous other well-known players in the field)

Right wow? What a field. I'd forgotten all about KSW - he barely plays but he's still a monster up in Canadia. You've got the Brakel sisters who are still amateurs. LOL. You've got Marc Burnett who is still younger than crap. Wiggins in the U10 division as well. Nikko. Hall. Lots of names in that junior side alone.

One reason I brought up Amateur Nationals specifically is because, with its history, AmWorlds has long been that sort of barometer of future talent. Amateur Nationals is only in the last 5 years or so turning into a barometer of nationwide talent. Still limited by virtue of its consistent location, but as it builds prestige - it attracts more and better and even younger talent. Makes the discussion relevant and actually sorta new, even if its been had.

I'll see your Worlds and do you MUCH better - In ADV only a few names stood out of the 153 that played nootably Andrew Rich - BUT the Juniors field top 4 had a whos who of some of the top pros in the game today...
Ladies and Gentlemen I give you the 2002 Am Worlds in Miami.

http://www.pdga.com/tour/event/3062

Top 4
Myles Harding
Gregg Barsby
Matt Orum (Matty-O)
Garrett Gurthie (Double G)

And a famous lady also played there - 3 time World Champ Valarie (Jenkins) Doss!

Booyah! :D

I'll see your Worlds and do you MUCH better - In ADV only a few names stood out of the 153 that played nootably Andrew Rich - BUT the Juniors field top 4 had a whos who of some of the top pros in the game today...
Ladies and Gentlemen I give you the 2002 Am Worlds in Miami.

http://www.pdga.com/tour/event/3062

Top 4
Myles Harding
Gregg Barsby
Matt Orum (Matty-O)
Garrett Gurthie (Double G)

And a famous lady also played there - 3 time World Champ Valarie (Jenkins) Doss!

Booyah! :D
Scroll down in Advanced.
131st place.
Miami.

The show didn't come on until 2006... So... disc golf predicts the future?

I like how you said "a famous lady also played there." Not exactly her finest showing, looks of it. Wonder what happened there. Woke up late?

Latest posts