• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Am Worlds - Madison, Wi

Tournament Director here...

I have exchanged some emails with Andrew Sweeton from the PDGA. You can go to bed.

No registration tonight.

Per Andrew...

The PDGA will make an announcement on their website within the next few days with a new registration date and time. It will probably be a weekday next week.

Don't kill the messenger.

Tournament Director here...

I have exchanged some emails with Andrew Sweeton from the PDGA. You can go to bed.

No registration tonight.

Per Andrew...

The PDGA will make an announcement on their website within the next few days with a new registration date and time. It will probably be a weekday next week.

Don't kill the messenger.

Thanks for the update. It is appreciated.

Frustrated that I stayed up so late for no reason.

If it is during the weekday, at least make it a decent hour, like 10pm Eastern / 7pm Pacific.

Practically, the PDGA should make an announcement on their website within the next few minutes that registration is delayed.

Pretty disappointed on multiple fronts. The demand for registration should not have been a surprise for PDGA or DiscGolfScene...

Not really fair to throw rocks at the PDGA about this. Dgscene is a third party the PDGA has no control over.

Or go to tiered registration, or change vendors, or something.

Thanks Glide for being the messenger. They (whichever one) have to know it would be slammed at the time it opens. Several divisions filled last year in less than 8 hours and there are fewer spots this year. I made the mistake of forgetting that Friday midnight ET is actually Thursday night, and thankfully I woke up at 5:30 Friday morning to multiple messages from friends. I got on as quickly as I could. I was #108 of 108 in MG1 last year.

Not really fair to throw rocks at the PDGA about this. Dgscene is a third party the PDGA has no control over.
This is a PDGA Major event and PDGA World Championship. I think it is absolutely fair to expect them to choose a capable registration site that had been tested for the surge they knew was coming based on this event's history.

I can't wait for the excuses....the problem will only get worse...unfortunately tiered registration is probably the only solution...not sure exactly what the requirements should be....points....rating....events played.....but unless something is done to change the way people get in demand will just go up and up until it becomes essentially a lottery to determine who gets to play for an am world championship.

Not sure I can agree with that.

The PDGA chooses who they do business with, especially in representing their major events. If you've ever taken a look at the Bid Process for a Worlds, there is a lot the PDGA demands from host organizations.

There were issues last year with registration, Disc Golf Scene tried new code that was flaky in determining whether or not a player was current and an official. Several people I know were unable to register because of the issue.

To my mind, this is Disc Golf Scene's second strike, and I have to look at who put them in to play.

IMO, they should change registration to have different sets on different nights to reduce website traffic. Have juniors register at a specific time, woman register at a specific time, masters men and older register at a specific time and advanced register at a certain time. A system like this would almost definitely alleviate the amount of site traffic that caused the crash

IMO, they should change registration to have different sets on different nights to reduce website traffic. Have juniors register at a specific time, woman register at a specific time, masters men and older register at a specific time and advanced register at a certain time. A system like this would almost definitely alleviate the amount of site traffic that caused the crash

Good idea....

The gotcha in that is you have some players who are eligible for multiple divisions. Under the current process if they get shut out of their preferred division they may still be able to get into their second or third choice division.

If you stagger the divisions then those back-up divisions might fill before registration even opens for their preferred division.

Last edited:
Tiered / Staggered registration based on points seems to be the most fair way to do it IMO.

This is a PDGA Major event and PDGA World Championship. I think it is absolutely fair to expect them to choose a capable registration site that had been tested for the surge they knew was coming based on this event's history.

Not sure I can agree with that.

The PDGA chooses who they do business with, especially in representing their major events. If you've ever taken a look at the Bid Process for a Worlds, there is a lot the PDGA demands from host organizations.

There were issues last year with registration, Disc Golf Scene tried new code that was flaky in determining whether or not a player was current and an official. Several people I know were unable to register because of the issue.

To my mind, this is Disc Golf Scene's second strike, and I have to look at who put them in to play.

Meh. I get the impression a lot that people think the PDGA is some large and powerful body that has a lot more influence then they really do. They do the best they can with the limited resources available. Another vendor could have easily had the same problem, or not, it's impossible to know. I don't follow how the PRGA was supposed to know that discgolfscene couldn't handle the surge.

Personally, I was 100% prepared for a clusterF*** tonight. So while I am disappointed that I wasn't able to register I am not remotely surprised. As a couple of people have mentioned already as long you have a huge and increasing demand for limited slots there are going to be problems.

I guess at the end of the day I'm just not the type of person to get hyped up about passing out blame when problems occur. I'm more of a solutions guy then one to get into passing it blame.

Nothing but growing pains. Not surprised nor am I upset. This was predictable.

I'm sure the PDGA board will discuss this at the next meeting and work on solutions. It's a good thing. A few of us lost some sleep we didn't really need anyhow and the message is very clear that the demand is exceeding the current capacity in both number of slots available to play and the ability to handle registration. I suspect a positive change going forward.

Latest posts