• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Amateur Championships at Bowling Green April 22-24 Bowling Green, KY

I think the legendary "Blowing Green" wind memories come from so many folks experiencing the Ephram White and Phil Moore courses, OB, and at least one really windy day out there. It scars some of us for life. :eek:

But I have to admit, 3/4ths of the courses, and 3/4ths of the times I've played this event, it really wasn't that bad!

Now, I've really enjoyed BG Ams four times now. Wish I could hand pick the courses for my divisions to suit my game, but they're chosen to test your mettle and variety of skill sets, so HB knows what he's doing there...

white and griffin are different courses in the wind for sure.

Pools not settled

I corrected the web page, rec has griffin and thanks for pointing that our on this forum that I had Kereiakes listed too many times (just a typo when I made the web page).

We had our first staff meeting this week, and have been shooting e-mails about on the few changes, as we keep what works well for players, retailers, manufactures, and staff and listen to suggestions to firm plan for the next year.

Changes: entry fee is $90 with early registration now open for those who want to be a tee sponsor and get a personalized shirt (name ad PDGA#).

Women will play 4 courses (still all women in one pool, more positive responses from that) and not travel any more than other pools.

Wha Bah is out - still working on a couple of venue options for both event HQ and final 9.

Thanks for the continued support of The Amateur Championships at Bowling Green and the BG Disc Golf Club always looks forward to having guest for the week!

I've been thinking of playing in this tourney for a couple of years now, and am now looking at the potential to play in 2016. However, I'm trying to figure out which division would make for the best trip. Keep in mind I'm mainly concerned with having fun and hopefully playing up to my abilities, and don't really care where I place. Anyway, here are the key details:
- Rated in low 800s ... don't think I've ever had a round rated above 860
- Am very happy with 300' drives. Normal is more like 250'. I hate courses where there are tons of holes that are 300-400' because I have very few deuce opportunities even with pretty accurate drives (for me). If you read John Houck articles in the Disc Golfer magazine, this creates lots of NAGS for me ... not a golf shot (too far for a putt, too short to be much of a challenge).
- Prefer tight, moderate-to-heavily wooded courses with rolling terrain rather than open ones. I like being forced to throw a variety of shots, not just hyzer after hyzer. Don't mind courses that have some open and/or longer holes mixed in, but don't like it when that is most of the course. For reference, if you played at Ledgestone or are familiar with Peoria, I like ICC and Bradley (ICC is probably better suited to my game, just wish it had more elevation), dislike Washington, and thoroughly enjoy a beatdown at Meggido (Westwood). Here in southern WI, I prefer Baraboo and Elver.
- Have played Rec in every tournament I've ever entered, although I have been eligible for Adv. Masters more recently.

So, based purely on rating, I should obviously play Rec. However, looking at the four courses slated for Rec (Lovers, White, Chalybeate, and Griffin), it doesn't seem like I would enjoy playing. Chalybeate looks good, Griffin looks OK, Lovers looks like it would NAGS me too often, and White ... well, it's not for me.

So, my other two options are Int and Adv Masters. It currently looks like they would play three of the same courses (Miller, Hobson, and Franklin), with Int getting Phil Moore and Adv Masters getting Kereiakes. Miller and Hobson look nice, especially for my arm, while Franklin at least has longer holes that would play more like Par 4s for me rather than 3.5s with a bunch of NAGS. Phil Moore looks like I would love some of it and hate some of it. I might do OK with Kereiakes from the short tees, but if Adv Masters plays longs, it looks like that would push too many holes into NAGS territory for me. I would be at the bottom of either division, so it would be a matter of wanting to play with potentially a larger group of players with ratings closer to mine (Int) vs guys more my age (Adv Masters).

I know some people would probably recommend just to play in any division and have fun. However, anyone care to offer some advice, based on what I spelled out above? Thanks in advance.

i'm in the same boat. i'm 45 this was my fourth summer playing. I had always played my rating 872 in tournaments. until this summer I started playing open masters. playing with guys my own age who have been playing for a lot longer than I have and are usually a lot better than me has helped my game out a lot. pace of play seems better (these guys know where their discs are going) and when I see good shots I seem to throw good shots(at least better) i'll be playing adv. masters at BG if the courses stay the same.
I know i'm just donating money for now. but I've shot 900+ rated rounds the last four of seven rate able rounds. and even won our local weekly league night (bout half the normal field didn't show)

Your probably donating in the rec division, also. There are always about 5 to 10 guys who are advanced level and someone told them to bag it up at bg in rec.

I can say that if the courses are as posted... I will not attend. The Adv GM courses are not good!

For overall aesthethics, Keriakes is the best course that BG has to offer.

Hobson is the course you'll want to play based on your story.

I normally play rec, but the way the current course line up looks I wont play unless I play intermediate. None of the rec courses really appeal to me. All of the intermediate courses look pretty good. Ive never played any of the BG area courses, so Im just going off pics and DGCR. Any feedback would be great. Thanks

I normally play rec, but the way the current course line up looks I wont play unless I play intermediate. None of the rec courses really appeal to me. All of the intermediate courses look pretty good. Ive never played any of the BG area courses, so Im just going off pics and DGCR. Any feedback would be great. Thanks

As has been mentioned in BG Am threads from years past, most people don't go to BG Ams for the courses. It's the event. In my opinion, most of the courses in BG are overrated. It IS a fun event though.

I tried to tweak the schedule to make it work logistics-wise. It's tough to work 10 pools at 10 different courses

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 96
i'm in the same boat. i'm 45 this was my fourth summer playing. I had always played my rating 872 in tournaments. until this summer I started playing open masters. playing with guys my own age who have been playing for a lot longer than I have and are usually a lot better than me has helped my game out a lot. pace of play seems better (these guys know where their discs are going) and when I see good shots I seem to throw good shots(at least better) i'll be playing adv. masters at BG if the courses stay the same.
I know i'm just donating money for now. but I've shot 900+ rated rounds the last four of seven rate able rounds. and even won our local weekly league night (bout half the normal field didn't show)

Age protected divisions are terrific. Played my first BG Ams last year in Adv.GM and had a riot. The tournament is run close to flawlessly and the guys I played with, to a man, were fantastic. Have a great time and be sure to check out the Mellow Mushroom for dinner one night.

As has been mentioned in BG Am threads from years past, most people don't go to BG Ams for the courses. It's the event. In my opinion, most of the courses in BG are overrated. It IS a fun event though.

I do plan to play for the experience of the tournament. I have no doubt it will be a blast. I will probably be donating money either way, so I was just thinking about choosing my division based on courses rather than rating.

I tried to tweak the schedule to make it work logistics-wise. It's tough to work 10 pools at 10 different courses

Current layout isn't thrilling - Losing Tech College, Keriakas & Hobson while gaining Miller, White, Challybeate & Griffin. Not a big White or Griffin(back 9) fan - Just personal preference.

I do like your proposal better but would love to see Adv GM get to keep either Hobson or Keriakas.

Current layout isn't thrilling - Losing Tech College, Keriakas & Hobson while gaining Miller, White, Challybeate & Griffin. Not a big White or Griffin(back 9) fan - Just personal preference.

I do like your proposal better but would love to see Adv GM get to keep either Hobson or Keriakas.

Yeah I kind of factored in which pools should play which courses but my main objective was logistics. It's been easier in the past with 8 pools, and those pools following the 4 pools 4 courses format. with rec having 3 pools and adding the 10th pool it makes it a lot harder to have one pool at each course at any given time with everybody in the same division playing the same courses. My proposal could probably be tweaked but it would be somewhat difficult.

I suppose you could flip flop masters and GM with no issue

Last edited:
The courses as listed on the website will certainly need a bit more tweaking. At the moment it has:

Franklin listed for 6 pools
Griffin listed for 5 pools
Kerieakes listed for 3 pools
SCKCTCS listed for 2 pools

Seems likely Adv GM will lose Griffin and gain Kerieakes, and the two intermediate pools will lose Franklin and gain SCKCTCS.

The courses as listed on the website will certainly need a bit more tweaking. At the moment it has:

Franklin listed for 6 pools
Griffin listed for 5 pools
Kerieakes listed for 3 pools
SCKCTCS listed for 2 pools

Seems likely Adv GM will lose Griffin and gain Kerieakes, and the two intermediate pools will lose Franklin and gain SCKCTCS.

I tried to make it work with my post above, but it's just a suggestion. Not sure what HB has in mind

Latest posts