• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 Aussie Open DGWT Event Discussion

Kind of a fun read:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115001&highlight=eagle+mcmahon

Colorado is LOVIN' being able to watch Eagle tear it up like this. He's been killing it here for years, but it's amazing seeing him quickly take that next step since going on tour. That dude is going to be a force to be reckoned with for years to come and is as grounded and cool as anybody could hope to be. :clap::clap::clap::clap:

He's the best player of his "generation" of golfers (FWIW I consider McBeth/Wysocki/Uli/Jerm/Schusterick/etc. to be the gen before).

IIRC that thread was during GBO 2015? That was a really fun event to watch.

If I never have to hear someone call something that's not a bullseye, a bullseye again, it will still not be long enough. I can never get back the brain cells damaged by that comment.

"Oh look, he hit ten feet away from the target. Great bullseye!". I don't mean to be mean... okay, I do, but please fix this. Just find another more apt name. Red Circle hit. Close enough for a kiss circle. Cricky, he almost got that in the basket circle. Ten foot circle. Jussie had a wild hair circle. We needed something else to talk about circle.

Don't care what, just not bullseye.

If I never have to hear someone call something that's not a bullseye, a bullseye again, it will still not be long enough. I can never get back the brain cells damaged by that comment.

"Oh look, he hit ten feet away from the target. Great bullseye!". I don't mean to be mean... okay, I do, but please fix this. Just find another more apt name. Red Circle hit. Close enough for a kiss circle. Cricky, he almost got that in the basket circle. Ten foot circle. Jussie had a wild hair circle. We needed something else to talk about circle.

Don't care what, just not bullseye.

I can't tell where your frustration is directed - at the announcers for calling something what it is? Or towards the DGWT for creating/branding the concept?

Colorado is LOVIN' being able to watch Eagle tear it up like this. He's been killing it here for years, but it's amazing seeing him quickly take that next step since going on tour. That dude is going to be a force to be reckoned with for years to come and is as grounded and cool as anybody could hope to be. :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Word to this ^^^

Love watching Eagle too. Sounds like the kid has been grinding his ass off all "off-season" playing tournaments and keeping sharp and it looks like it's paying off this week. I hope he takes it down tomorrow.

I can't tell where your frustration is directed - at the announcers for calling something what it is? Or towards the DGWT for creating/branding the concept?

DGWT. They didn't create it, archery did IIRC. And they didn't brand it either. They did use the term incorrectly and then fostered that on poor Avery.

Bullseye is a center hit. Ten feet out is ten feet out.

How about paint 4 different colored rings and call them the "Parked" rings.

Parked ->Handicapped Parked->Expectant Mother Parked->LEO Parked

bulls·eye
ˈbo͝olzī/
noun
the center of a target in sports such as archery, shooting, and darts.
a large, round, hard peppermint-flavored candy.

Personally, I think DGWT thinks it's a hard peppermint candy.

How about paint 4 different colored rings and call them the "Parked" rings.

Parket ->Handicapped Parked->Expectant Mother Parked->LEO Parked

It certainly fits a younger lexicon. I like EMP, but Handicapped works too. Both make me laugh.

I don't mind the concept of the red circle and the attempt to generate some meaningful statistics from it. But I agree that "bullseye" is not a good term. I like the term "Inner Circle Hit" myself...

Nitpick: par is not estimated, it is official: set by the TD.

In this case it looks like par of 61 would have been better than 65 in terms of comparing performance across different tournaments and everything else par is supposed to do. With holes 4, 6, 7, and 13 having the soft pars.

Oh yeah those 4 are soft!

Come and play them next time...

DGWT. They didn't create it, archery did IIRC. And they didn't brand it either. They did use the term incorrectly and then fostered that on poor Avery.

Bullseye is a center hit. Ten feet out is ten feet out.

Ugh, don't drag this into semantics. You know exactly what I meant by "create".

You're obfuscating too many things. It's a pretty clean concept. For top pros (aka who the DGWT is spotlighting), 3m and closer is not only a very easy putt, but requires an accurate shot and skillful manipulation of an object through the air.

Actually, come to think of it, that sounds a good bit like Archery or Darts. It's a concept that is well known and has been in common vernacular/slang for a long time, and helps others understand the skill required to execute the shot when they don't possess the level of knowledge that you or others on here may have.

In fact, last night my wife was watching with me, and commented on its usefulness. She was saying, "Oh that's a birdie" when a drive would land in or near the Bullseye ring. For her, it helps contextualize the situation that the thrower (and the thrower that follows) is in.

This is obviously just my .02 on the subject, but I think you're being a bit harsh.

Disc golf has a leg up(ah idioms) as it were in that 'we' are in charge of our own destiny among other things...vernacularly. Here's to hoping we take the time and forethought to doing it right... bwhahhaha!

I like the premise of graduated rings around the basket for many reasons. What makes sense to me though would be for the innermost ring to be green(no sweat), the outermost red(in real danger of missing), and in-between- yellow(proceed w/ caution).

If you look at it as though the basket is the bull's pupil, then the "bullseye" vernacular makes perfect sense (although a bull's pupil is not round, you get the idea -- not worth getting lathered up over).

Now if Avery starts calling "chain outs" "bulls pupil outs"... :doh:

Latest posts