• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 Aussie Open DGWT Event Discussion

It's not just kids, I've seen emails written by executives that would make you cringe -- I just want to scream "It's a damn CONTRACTION!"... :doh:

Part of the problem is that people are getting too used to spell-checker and auto-correct, and no longer care to learn how to spell...

Just finished watching the round 3 back 9 video with Ricky and Avery. Nice, relaxed commentary-the best one yet, IMO. A welcome relief after the Barsby episode. Would like to hear more about the possible out of bounds throw by Eagle that didn't get penalized.

I understood on the video that he took the OB and saved par after it. But that the other ruling might not have ruled it OB after all, giving him a chance to birdie it?

Edit. Like so: https://www.instagram.com/p/BPzBMEBl4zS/

losing like that is going to go along way towards making eagle more lethal. i cant wait.

probs to rick geez louise. that was an amazing tournament.

Just finished watching the round 3 back 9 video with Ricky and Avery. Nice, relaxed commentary-the best one yet, IMO. A welcome relief after the Barsby episode. Would like to hear more about the possible out of bounds throw by Eagle that didn't get penalized.

Oh man, I loved Barsby's commentary. So much more colorful than Avery's wooden delivery. I haven't watched the round 3 back 9 yet. Ricky seems pretty shy usually; hopefully he'll open up a little more.

I hope that's not a complaint. Barsby added some good information, and was a good contrast to Avery's style of delivery.

Barsby is a really good commentator. He gives details about hole structure and shot selection that is up there with Ian. If Avery is point to point action, BARSBY is detail and structure.

Kudos to Ricky as cohost. Ricky has been awful in the past but clearly is working at it. His comments, if not perfectly delivered, were on point. He slowed way down for the most part, leaving out redundancies and most of the you knows. He used his experience as a player to add insight and gave at least one good color story on Eagle's OB. He's also learned to stop and let the viewer look at the play before talking about the action.

Barsby is a really good commentator. He gives details about hole structure and shot selection that is up there with Ian. If Avery is point to point action, BARSBY is detail and structure.

Barsby is fine, he just needs to learn that there's is a time to talk, and a time to shut up.

Kudos to Ricky as cohost. Ricky has been awful in the past but clearly is working at it. His comments, if not perfectly delivered, were on point. He slowed way down for the most part, leaving out redundancies and most of the you knows. He used his experience as a player to add insight and gave at least one good color story on Eagle's OB. He's also learned to stop and let the viewer look at the play before talking about the action.

Ricky was okay for the most part. One problem, and this applies to Paul McBeth's commentary as well, is that these guys are talking about themselves, and sometimes people don't like doing that. There's also the Paul v. Ricky context in commenting about each other, and I sensed a reticence to do that on both their parts. JMHO, of course.

I still think Barsby and his style are the perfect match for Avery and his style.

not sure why disc golf thinks the best players are the best at talking about the best players playing.

not sure why disc golf thinks the best players are the best at talking about the best players playing.

Bingo. Although Nate Sexton is great and a good commentator.

As for Barsby, I'm happy to hear Barsby talk too much when he's telling me about shot selection, and he's over talking Avery who's telling me, " it's 105, that's hot, it's burning and it's melting out." For the tenth time, in three thirty minute sections.

Ricky was okay for the most part. One problem, and this applies to Paul McBeth's commentary as well, is that these guys are talking about themselves, and sometimes people don't like doing that. There's also the Paul v. Ricky context in commenting about each other, and I sensed a reticence to do that on both their parts. JMHO, of course.

I still think Barsby and his style are the perfect match for Avery and his style.

Agreed. That's not Ricky's fault. Ian avoids that by leading the discussion. Same with Terry. With direction Ricky would move from that. Rickys best comments were when he talked about what other players were doing and outcomes. Same goes for Paul. Barsby naturally does that. His notion is, this isn't about me (probably cause he's not on the card).

Now that I think about it, in general it's probably best not to have a player comment on their own round unless you have something you're trying to show.

Agreed. That's not Ricky's fault. Ian avoids that by leading the discussion. Same with Terry. With direction Ricky would move from that. Rickys best comments were when he talked about what other players were doing and outcomes. Same goes for Paul. Barsby naturally does that. His notion is, this isn't about me (probably cause he's not on the card).

Very true. Not being on the card at all was good in that Barsby can call it as he sees it.

Also, and as an example: when Paul threw his Shryke on that huge forehand, Eagle (being Discmania/Innova) made sure to call out the disc that it was, promoting the disc as well as Paul's huge shot.

Ricky might've said that Paul's shot was really good, but I doubt he would've told anyone it was an Innova Shryke. He likely would not have known, and even if he did he was not going to promote a competing company's disc. Likewise, I would not expect Paul to promote Lat64 discs, or even know which ones Ricky was using.

Ian and Terry might've said what disc it was if they had known, as they're neutral observers in that way. So that all is another consideration in what the commentators say.

Now that I think about it, in general it's probably best not to have a player comment on their own round unless you have something you're trying to show.

IMHO one reason they do that is so that a player on the scene will remember what happened and can comment on it. In the case of Eagle's OB, that came into play with Ricky's commentary. But there's two sides to every coin, and there is negative as well as positive in it...

Bingo. Although Nate Sexton is great and a good commentator.

As for Barsby, I'm happy to hear Barsby talk too much when he's telling me about shot selection, and he's over talking Avery who's telling me, " it's 105, that's hot, it's burning and it's melting out." For the tenth time, in three thirty minute sections.

Talking over your announcing partner is one of the worst things you can do in sports broadcasting-and Barsby seemed to be doing it on purpose near the end. How would you like that kind of treatment. lyle?

top 5 shots just got uploaded, I don't know if they are even filming final rounds this year.

Latest posts