• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 MPO Worlds - Augusta

DinosaurThunder

Double Eagle Member
Only 8 days away from worlds! Do you think it will be the Paul/Ricky battle again this year or does anyone have other predictions or a dark horse taking it? what type of player wlll these courses favor?

I think most likely a Paul/Richard battle again, but the way some of the other guys are playing makes it interesting. Anthon has been solid, Doss has been pretty good and Eagle was hot last weekend. Looking at the course maps it looks like these courses don't really favor one player in particular. It looks like they'll need their full bag this weekend.
Marine/Navy Course
WR Jackson Memorial Course

I think the separation will come more from the Marine/Navy course but both of these courses look amazing.

Can someone share the schedule for this tournament with me? I'm struggling to find the details for each day.

I am considering the long drive down there to see a few days of the tournament (want to see the best play at least once).

Do they play Tue/Wed/Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun or it is over on Saturday?

And how many rounds per day do they play?

Can someone share the schedule for this tournament with me? I'm struggling to find the details for each day.

I am considering the long drive down there to see a few days of the tournament (want to see the best play at least once).

One round per day on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.

This is the latest schedule published last Thursday. Looks like A & C pools (that's the top half of MPO and the entire FPO division) will be at IDGC on Wednesday and Friday, and at Fort Gordon on Thursday and Saturday.

My suggestion would be to go on Friday or Saturday. That way you're assured to see all the top players in one place (there's always a chance that some might start in the B-pool during the first two days).

Keep in mind that Fort Gordon is a military base so security will be high and at least two forms of identification are required. If I'm reading this correctly, spectators at Fort Gordon may also need to submit to background checks before being allowed on base.

http://www.pdga.com/2017proworlds/schedule/course

Thanks, just want to make sure I'm reading this right...

They play one round each day on Wednesday (WR Jackson), Thursday (Marine), Friday (WR Jackson) and Saturday (Marine)...

I thought that Worlds had more than 4 rounds...

Is that correct...then Sunday is a separate mixed doubles?

I didn't realize the finals were at Ft. Gordon until just now. Not sure I want to jump through the hoops to go watch.

Based on ratings:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• PW17MPO.png
    PW17MPO.png
    56 KB · Views: 674
  • PW17FPO.png
    PW17FPO.png
    40.8 KB · Views: 665
I'm admittedly a noob, so maybe I'm missing something here, but if Worlds is four rounds, how is it different than any other major tournament? Is there some kind of playoff after that with the top few players?

I'm admittedly a noob, so maybe I'm missing something here, but if Worlds is four rounds, how is it different than any other major tournament? Is there some kind of playoff after that with the top few players?

May ants infest your armpits for mentioning this. Wait ten minutes and you'll get a diatribe.

From a format perspective, it really isn't any different than other tournaments anymore. It's more the name and the history (and the official Major status) that give it the added prestige. Some are upset because Worlds used to (as in, before this year) feature more rounds overall and this is a break from tradition. But part of that old format had to do with involving multiple divisions and therefore more players, so shorter and less challenging courses were included for the purposes of expediency (and also because they were what was available).

Now, with Worlds only including MPO/FPO, the tournament can be run on courses that are tailored specifically to challenge the very best in the game. And with that added challenge in the design of the course, fewer holes are needed to separate the wheat from the chaff. A marathon is no longer needed to allow for the cream to rise to the top.

It should be noted that there's nothing of significance, format-wise, differentiating ball golf majors from typical PGA Tour events like the Memorial two weeks ago, this past weekend's St Jude's Classic or the Travelers Championship in two weeks. But this week is the US Open and it's special, due in large part to the history of the event.

I didn't realize the finals were at Ft. Gordon until just now. Not sure I want to jump through the hoops to go watch.

is it that difficult these days? I have played golf there granted it was years ago and they went thru the car with a fine tooth comb and mirrors underneath but wasn't too exhausting. And a back round check lol, i highly doubt that.

From a format perspective, it really isn't any different than other tournaments anymore. It's more the name and the history (and the official Major status) that give it the added prestige. Some are upset because Worlds used to (as in, before this year) feature more rounds overall and this is a break from tradition. But part of that old format had to do with involving multiple divisions and therefore more players, so shorter and less challenging courses were included for the purposes of expediency (and also because they were what was available).

Now, with Worlds only including MPO/FPO, the tournament can be run on courses that are tailored specifically to challenge the very best in the game. And with that added challenge in the design of the course, fewer holes are needed to separate the wheat from the chaff. A marathon is no longer needed to allow for the cream to rise to the top.

It should be noted that there's nothing of significance, format-wise, differentiating ball golf majors from typical PGA Tour events like the Memorial two weeks ago, this past weekend's St Jude's Classic or the Travelers Championship in two weeks. But this week is the US Open and it's special, due in large part to the history of the event.

The courses are set up differently for majors, i.e. faster greens, longer rough, with the exception being Augusta which rarely changes.

The US Open generally is the hardest course they play all year and scores reflect that.

so i would have a disagree with your statement a little, format wise you are 100% correct, course wise that is different thing all together.

is it that difficult these days? I have played golf there granted it was years ago and they went thru the car with a fine tooth comb and mirrors underneath but wasn't too exhausting. And a back round check lol, i highly doubt that.

If you're from one of 12 states, including neighboring South Carolina which is mine, you need 2 forms of I.D. They're very specific about which I.D.s qualify, and I only have 1.

You also have to pass a background check. Not a problem myself (though I know some disc golfers who would fail), but I'm not sure I want to bother, just to watch disc golf.

At least, that's what the literature issued expressly for this event says.

"Spectators as well as competitors that did not register on or before Friday, May 19th will be required to go through the standard entry procedure prior to gaining access to the facility which includes a federal background check. Upon completion of the process, a 30-day pass will be issued."

Latest posts