• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 USDGC

I like the posts and the concept. I would prefer very straight edged narrow bushes that you see in nicely landscaped yards as they accomplish the same thing and don't look so ugly. There is certainly the right bush out there somewhere.

I also am a bit worried about an otherwise very good sidearm approach hitting one and taking a long roll, but it's the players job to avoid that and there is plenty of landing room on the other side of the basket. Overall, I LIKE IT!

It can work the opposite. I saw a bunch of drives and approaches. if you were accurate it was as likely that your disc would fly by the basket, hit a post and stop for an easy putt than the posts would interfere with your putt. If you are Hyzering in from a backhand, it will work to stop flares that would go OB. So overall it is basically an ugly scoring wash that will inspire novice designers to do the same silly thing on their local course without any rhyme or reason.

I appreciate the idea, but in practice I dont think it actually works, however I guess time will tell when we see the data from this year.

I think the net effect of trunks/posts in the circle tends to be neutral in terms of scrambling the landing position of a disc closer or farther from the basket but still in the circle. What they do is make some putts a little more challenging either modifying the player's preferred stance or requiring a curved putting arc that's only a penalty if the player fails the test rather than a direct 1-throw penalty like hazard or OB. But these putts should still be "makeable" for players at this level. And, not to be overlooked is the trademark of several hazards at the USDGC is to also get into players' heads, adding to the challenge.

Last edited:
It can work the opposite. I saw a bunch of drives and approaches. if you were accurate it was as likely that your disc would fly by the basket, hit a post and stop for an easy putt than the posts would interfere with your putt. If you are Hyzering in from a backhand, it will work to stop flares that would go OB. So overall it is basically an ugly scoring wash that will inspire novice designers to do the same silly thing on their local course without any rhyme or reason.

I appreciate the idea, but in practice I dont think it actually works, however I guess time will tell when we see the data from this year.

Good points. I think I'm blind by the ultimate goal - find a way to make putting harder. I'm not a small basket guy, so I'm open to ideas on green design.

So overall it is basically an ugly scoring wash that will inspire novice designers to do the same silly thing on their local course without any rhyme or reason.

USDGC has raised the bar for professional events over the years in many ways but this may be its most lasting legacy.

Pencil holly, perhaps? Or something like it.

DETA2-637.jpg

Exactly what I was envisioning.

putting doesn't need to be harder- this isn't traditional golf and never will be.

I agree as a player, but if I put myself into the shoes of a non-disc golfing spectator (a must have eventually) putting is incredibly boring. Not completely. I do enjoy the excitement of Ricky hitting a 70 footer.

It's not just about the putting. I also want 200 foot approaches to be harder on courses that are not in the middle of the woods. Shoot, even 300 feet for these guys. I know it's not golf, but part of what makes golf exciting to watch is that even a perfect drive in the middle of the fairway is just step 1. It's not over till the ball drops. In disc golf there are so many times one of these top guys throws a good drive on a Par 4 last hole and we can confidently say "It's over" because the next two shots are 99 per-centers.

Overall good course design can likely trump all those points, but without the threat of out of bounds it's damn hard to challenge these guys on approach/putting side and the skill set is just going to continue upward. Not advocating for no out of bounds either. I think it's essential in disc golf. I don't know what I'm saying.

putting doesn't need to be harder- this isn't traditional golf and never will be.

I agree. That's why I advocate that we go from a basket to a giant hole in the ground, six feet across. The green should be thirty feet wide and sloped like a funnel. If you land anywhere in the green your disc slides into the hole.

People like playing and watching sports, not because it's easy but because it challenges. Otherwise we'd all be playing lawn darts. It isn't just golf that makes its target hard to hit, all sports do this except the ones made for kiddies. Like tether ball. Shocker, I know.

?... to the overall "DGWT" package he wants to sell to future investors.

And there, ladies and gentlemen, is the bottom line and what Jussi's real goal is. And (IMHO) he's shown he's willing to totally sacrifice his integrity to get those green dollar bills.

How about just more challenging? That doesn't necessarily mean harder, but it does mean making putting more nuanced than what is, particularly for the best players, a point-and-shoot style. If it also adds a bit of nuance to approaching the green, such as favoring one side to the other, all the better, IMO.

Tee times posted. Man who did Pete May's pay off to get the second to last card. Hope Steve and Nikko can keep it together that round.

Golden Rake

I was humbled tonight at the USDGC Players Meeting by being awarded the USDGC's Golden Rake award as volunteer of the year and honored in joining an elite group of volunteers. If at the tournament, say hi as I'll again be spotting on hole 9.