• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2018 DGPT Jonesboro Open

Some of that FPO final round putting was a bit hard to watch. Congrats to Paige, wow..she is so good. And so fun to watch. Love those 30-60ft runs at birdie. I STILL think Jennifer Allen could be the next big thing in FPO. Dial down that 200ft and under short game and she is there, ready to take on Paige.

Paige really goes for everything, very fun to watch. . maybe not always the smartest decision. . but hey, if you lead by 10 strokes, go for everything..always :)

I was looking for the final rd men's results this morning, UltiWorld and PDGA front pages have nothing, I had to click twice more to see who won. Shouldn't this be front page news?

Last edited:
PDGA.com has never been a "breaking news" site. Their event recap articles are almost always next day at the earliest. Besides which, there was a PDGA major going on this weekend (an amateur one but still a major). Pretty sure their focus was there first, so I wouldn't be surprised to see an article pop up about the winners at Am World Doubles before Jonesboro.

I posted about Jonesboro pars in the Par Talk thread, for those who are similarly afflicted.

Saw that Ricky was back to his White putters again, no burst this time. . . and he wins

Below (behind the spoiler button) are the performance tracks for some top rated and top finishing players in MPO.

The worst single-hole performance in this group was Nate Sexton's 6 on hole #12 in round 2, which was 2.64 worse than what he would expect.

The best single-hole performance in this group was Tim Barham's 3 on hole #16 in round 3, which was 1.37 better than he would expect.

attachment.php

Attachments

• JBO18MPOTracks.png
    JBO18MPOTracks.png
    139.4 KB · Views: 252
I was looking for the final rd men's results this morning, UltiWorld and PDGA front pages have nothing, I had to click twice more to see who won. Shouldn't this be front page news?

I've actually had recap articles for PDGA ready to roll for a bit now but am waiting for some updated photos to drop. Check back in a bit!

PDGA.com has never been a "breaking news" site. Their event recap articles are almost always next day at the earliest. Besides which, there was a PDGA major going on this weekend (an amateur one but still a major). Pretty sure their focus was there first, so I wouldn't be surprised to see an article pop up about the winners at Am World Doubles before Jonesboro.

We'll have both. Look at us with two media guys now. ;)

Some of that FPO final round putting was a bit hard to watch. Congrats to Paige, wow..she is so good. And so fun to watch. Love those 30-60ft runs at birdie. I STILL think Jennifer Allen could be the next big thing in FPO. Dial down that 200ft and under short game and she is there, ready to take on Paige.

I like watching her and root for her. She has so much power and torque, her run up is very interesting and Takes big leaping steps. To even compete with Paige though her consistency is the biggest issue, shes not always accurate unfortunately. That's why she's up and down on the leaderboards, it's her hot and cold play. I don't think anyone will be able to beat her going birdie to bogie golf while she plays birdie and par golf.

I think we're at a point in our game, both on the men's and women's side, where to be the very best, one has to be committed to the sport as a career and not just a hobby. The player that is going to challenge and eventually unseat Paige Pierce as the best female player in the game (or unseat McBeth or Wysocki as the best male) is going to be a young player who commits to being a full time player like they are. Someone like, say, Kona Panis, is a more likely candidate than someone like Jen Allen to be the next Paige.

As talented as Jen Allen is, she's a disc golf hobbyist. She's a mother that holds down a full time job away from the game. She just doesn't have the time to commit to what she'd need to do to hone her skills and her consistency. On the other hand, someone like Kona (not saying she'll be the one, but she's the profile) who doesn't have the same outside commitments and is determined to be a professional disc golfer first rather than second or third, can put the time and effort to hone the right skills.

As talented as Jen Allen is, she's a disc golf hobbyist. She's a mother that holds down a full time job away from the game. She just doesn't have the time to commit to what she'd need to do to hone her skills and her consistency.

Just looking over her stats, it appears she's taking disc golf fairly serious. But agreed..the big question is time available to hone her skills.

Tournaments played:
2017: Jennifer Allen-22, Catrina Allen 29, Paige Pierce 30
2018: Jennifer Allen-7, Catrina Allen 3, Paige Pierce 3

2018 Future events registered:
Jennifer Allen-8, Catrina Allen 8, Paige Pierce 11

Just looking over her stats, it appears she's taking disc golf fairly serious. But agreed..the big question is time available to hone her skills.

Tournaments played:
2017: Jennifer Allen-22, Catrina Allen 29, Paige Pierce 30
2018: Jennifer Allen-7, Catrina Allen 3, Paige Pierce 3

2018 Future events registered:
Jennifer Allen-8, Catrina Allen 8, Paige Pierce 11

Where did I say Jen Allen doesn't take disc golf seriously? Of course she does. She doesn't get to the level she is at if she doesn't. But that isn't what we're talking about.

You suggested she could raise the level of her game to challenge Paige Pierce on a consistent basis by practicing and improving certain aspects of her game. The counter to that is that there is a ceiling to how much she can improve based on the amount of time she has to commit to the game, and that ceiling is lower than other players because she has a family and a job away from the game to compete for her attention. Not to mention she's a bit older than most of the top women on tour. As good as she is, it's more likely she's at her peak right now than that she's on a trajectory to soon be a 960-970+ player.

Which is why I suggested that the player more likely to challenge or eclipse Pierce is a younger one who can commit to the game full time rather than as a hobby (even if the hobby entails playing 25-30 tournaments a year). Someone who can use the time between tournaments to spend a couple hours putting and an hour or two in the field every day. Someone who can play 18-36 holes a day every day.

Paige didn't get to the level she's at now by squeezing in 30 minutes of putting in the backyard between a full day at work and cooking dinner for the kids. She didn't have to skip her practice round(s) to bring her kid(s) to soccer practice and a doctor's appointment and a scout meeting. Disc golf isn't just something she does for fun, it's her full time job. It's going to take someone else who can treat it like their full time job to catch her. Cat Allen, Sarah Hokom, Lisa Fajkus, Jessica Weese, Madison Walker...they profile as better candidates in that respect since they're already doing it.

Where did I say Jen Allen doesn't take disc golf seriously? Of course she does. She doesn't get to the level she is at if she doesn't. But that isn't what we're talking about.

You suggested she could raise the level of her game to challenge Paige Pierce on a consistent basis by practicing and improving certain aspects of her game. The counter to that is that there is a ceiling to how much she can improve based on the amount of time she has to commit to the game, and that ceiling is lower than other players because she has a family and a job away from the game to compete for her attention. Not to mention she's a bit older than most of the top women on tour. As good as she is, it's more likely she's at her peak right now than that she's on a trajectory to soon be a 960-970+ player.

Which is why I suggested that the player more likely to challenge or eclipse Pierce is a younger one who can commit to the game full time rather than as a hobby (even if the hobby entails playing 25-30 tournaments a year). Someone who can use the time between tournaments to spend a couple hours putting and an hour or two in the field every day. Someone who can play 18-36 holes a day every day.

Paige didn't get to the level she's at now by squeezing in 30 minutes of putting in the backyard between a full day at work and cooking dinner for the kids. She didn't have to skip her practice round(s) to bring her kid(s) to soccer practice and a doctor's appointment and a scout meeting. Disc golf isn't just something she does for fun, it's her full time job. It's going to take someone else who can treat it like their full time job to catch her. Cat Allen, Sarah Hokom, Lisa Fajkus, Jessica Weese, Madison Walker...they profile as better candidates in that respect since they're already doing it.

Or to put it simply, playing tournaments is a very small part of improving one's game.

watching the women putt is the best lol. sometimes 3 putting. cant their sponsors send them a practice basket?

Where did I say Jen Allen doesn't take disc golf seriously?

Where did I say you didn't? I was just looking at her stats and noticed she seems to be playing as many tournaments as C & P. And I will agree with you again, the big question is how much time she puts into the game other than tournaments. But... I do wonder once you're at a decent level, how much time is required to get to the next level?

She already is very close to the next level regarding her drives off the tee. Distance is not the issue, just a tad more control.

I think her putting power, snap, etc, is just as good as Paige's. Her control is not there yet, but she has the snap to make putts outside the circle.

I think her approach shots (or anything under 275) is by far her biggest weakness. She simply has to learn to power down, finesses, those shorter shots.

I disagree that she has peaked. I think 30min a day can do wonders to improve putting or approach shots. Now...I certainly agree she would have to do alot more to consistently give Paige a run for her money, but it wouldn't surprise me if she pulls out a win or 2 against Paige this season. I also agree JA is not the future of FPO, but I think she could be a major FPO force the next few years.

Anyone know exactly how old JA is? I used to think she was in her 20's, but now I think she is mid to late 30's?

I think Jennifer Allen's form does not allow her to be very accurate. For her to improve her short game and accuracy she will have to completely rework her throw, and that's not something you can do quickly or easily.

I think Jennifer Allen's form does not allow her to be very accurate. For her to improve her short game and accuracy she will have to completely rework her throw, and that's not something you can do quickly or easily.

100% agree. She's at her peak with her current mechanics.

Latest posts